Options

University Challenge 2014-15

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    gillypanda wrote: »
    Trueblood is very bright indeed!

Agreed. He knew a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff. I was impressed.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I imagine it, or did Trueblood say he was studying medicine?

The thought of being told 'Dr Trueblood will see you now' and then seeing his face would terrify me.
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    Has Armitage actually moved, let alone actually said anything yet?

I noticed that he just kept raising an eyebrow, a la Roger Moore.
    gillypanda wrote: »
    He has moved twice and sniggered a couple of times :D What an odd fellow!

He reminded me of a Harry Enfield character, maybe Mr Cholmondley-Warner? :D
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trueblood's breadth of knowledge was very impressive - yes, he is studying medicine - but someone needs to prevent him from wearing that hoodie on his next appearance as he kept nervously playing with its left tie string...
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that a very high-brow version of Roy Walker's Catchphrase?
    "If you see it, say it"
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt the silent letter in pneumonic the 'p' - which would've made the word HUP not HUM?
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isnt the silent letter in pneumonic the 'p' - which would've made the word HUP not HUM?

It was mnemonic, not pneumonic.
  • Options
    simes188simes188 Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Those two girls on the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine team were gorgeous.

Although LSE only got 140 points Paxo remarked that they got more points than some oher winners and that they could be back as one of the runners up.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine used up all the nameplate letters, hence the Beeb could only put LSE instead of its full name.
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    It was mnemonic, not pneumonic.

Ooh, thank you for this. I also thought he said pneumonic and was confused when HUM was given - that would have been a very silent M indeed!
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only person who was really fed up with the Tropical Medicine captain coming over all girly & pretending to be shocked every single time she answered correctly?
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    davestoke wrote: »
    Am I the only person who was really fed up with the Tropical Medicine captain coming over all girly & pretending to be shocked every single time she answered correctly?
    Well, she practically won the game for her team, so who cares. Apart from the guy on her left, the other two hardly answered any question.

LSE was unlucky, although I'm surprised they didn't shout out Australopithecus for their last question.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count Dracula: "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make"

Ah the brilliant Bela Lugosi. I heard that quote in his voice. I see the teams weren't up on their vampire quotes. :D
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    I think London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine used up all the nameplate letters, hence the Beeb could only put LSE instead of its full name.

Yep, the LSHTM probably have the longest name of any team who has competed. Then you look at LSE's team which only used 15 letters in the whole of the 4 surnames.
  • Options
    mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    Count Dracula: "Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make"

Ah the brilliant Bela Lugosi. I heard that quote in his voice. I see the teams weren't up on their vampire quotes. :D

I managed to get the Barber Of Seville question before Jeremy had got half of what you had to answer out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I was a bit surprised to see that only half of the contestants were British, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not to be honest. One the one hand are they saying that the non British students seemed to have more knowledge so got in the teams or are they saying that British Universities are better than the ones in their home countries.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit surprised to see that only half of the contestants were British, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not to be honest. One the one hand are they saying that the non British students seemed to have more knowledge so got in the teams or are they saying that British Universities are better than the ones in their home countries.
    I'm not sure it means that much TBH. The LSE has always had a world-wide reputation (Jim Hacker notwithstanding :) ) and therefore attracts the best and the brightest - and JFK - from everywhere. Maybe it just illustrates that the other half (the british students) are just as good as the best from elsewhere?

P.S. Yes, I got Barber of Seville before the question was asked, too :D
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly what I thought too - was very perplexed...
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see a Scottish team get through :)
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Lenitive wrote: »
    Glad to see a Scottish team get through :)

And very impressive they were too. Will Scottish universities be in any further series that is the starter for ten. ;-)
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I answered 21 questions correctly in the latest episode.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    And very impressive they were too. Will Scottish universities be in any further series that is the starter for ten. ;-)

Not when they can have fifty million Oxbridge colleges instead ;-)
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally caught up 8 eps in 2 days. Totally forgot the new series started ages ago.

I felt bad for St Anne's because had they had a better draw they would have got the best loser or even won it.
    Gonville and Caius had the word "peaked too early" written all over it but we shall see

And, why was Courtauld on the show? How did they survive the rounds before becoming the final 28?

Some memorable girls this series. That green Sailor Moon girl and the cute LSHTM captain:D
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a match between Leicester and Open U. Leicester is definitely a dark horse and should go far. Not a bad match by Open U at all and they should win the next match to get to R2

Mr. Brown has a cute beard. :D

OH - and UC got on the Guardian this week

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/15/gutted-university-challenge-paxman-diversity

Interesting.