Options

Upgrade HDD on both the PS4 and Xbox One

gadget_ukgadget_uk Posts: 441
Forum Member
Hi everyone,

What would be a decent 1TB - 2TB HDD to use for either the PS4 or Xbox One? I would like to be able to install games and not run out of space too fast.

How easy is it to upgrade the HDD in the PS4? Can the Xbox One currently only use external HDDs?

Any suggestions and.or help would be good, please.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a 4tb external hard drive for my Xbox One. Plug it in, it formats and away you go. It's that easy. I have 33 games on mine and it's using 10.5% of space. Haven't bothered upgrading my PS4 hard drive
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a 4tb external hard drive for my Xbox One. Plug it in, it formats and away you go. It's that easy. I have 33 games on mine and it's using 10.5% of space. Haven't bothered upgrading my PS4 hard drive

I love the fact both X1 & WiiU use external HDDs! .... Nothing's simpler (or quicker) then plugging in a usb connection! 👍
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I love the fact both X1 & WiiU use external HDDs! .... Nothing's simpler (or quicker) then plugging in a usb connection! 👍

I agree with that.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In regards to PS4 I'd definitely recommend Eurogamers suggestion, of popping out this external HD and putting it in your console. I did it, was cheap and simple way to get a. 2TB upgrade!
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    In regards to PS4 I'd definitely recommend Eurogamers suggestion, of popping out this external HD and putting it in your console. I did it, was cheap and simple way to get a. 2TB upgrade!

I did this too. 2tb should pretty much last me for the life of the console.

Adding an external would have been quicker and easier, but upgrading the internal is a neater long term solution.

Swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish both consoles offered both solutions. Replacing the internal looks better and doesn't use up a USB port, but it is a lot easier to use a USB HDD and offers portability for your games (I assume).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always prefer the external hard drive option.
  • Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish i could do the internal option on my xbox so i didn't have another box cluttering up the bedroom. The external PSU is annoying enough.

What are the spec requirements for the xbox btw? I'm after an enormous one.
  • Options
    Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    If you're changing out the Internal Drive on either console, spend a couple of extra quid to get a 7,200rpm Hard Drive instead, you'd be surprised how much that extra speed boost just makes the consoles feel more fluent and of course the reduced loading times on some games in the PS3 era was worth but now with nearly ALL games being Hard Drive based, it will benefit even more during the PS4/XBO era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I want a 2tb for my ps4.

Maybe next year when games stop coming out.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've added a 2tb to my Xbox, my personal preference is for external. I think external for the PS4 is less appealing due to no rear USB, something near permanently attached should ideally be tucked away out of sight, a lengthy cable would facilitate this but the wire would still be visible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I got exactly the same back in July. Fantastic purchase.
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »

Doh! would have helped if I added the link!!!

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    I did this too. 2tb should pretty much last me for the life of the console.

Adding an external would have been quicker and easier, but upgrading the internal is a neater long term solution.

Swings and roundabouts.
    Agreed.

I always prefer upgrading the internal because as you say its a much neater with no extra cables, Boxes etc.. lying around. There's also less chance of the drive getting knocked or something else going wrong which could cause data loss (Something i've suffered 2-3 times with external drives hooked upto my PC the past 3-4 years, Including 1 which was never moved) Never had any issues with internal drives.

Would be nice if both PS4 & XB1 supported both options so people could do whatever option they wanted. I can see PS4 allowing external storage via an update but I gather there's no chance of existing XB1's properly supporting internal upgrades.

I think the only issue with the PS4 Hard drive upgrade at present is that there is no Backup/Restore software so once you install the new drive you have to do the system setup again including setting up all the user accounts you may have & Re-download/install everything from scratch etc...
    Would be better if they had a PS3 style Backup/restore system so you didn't need to go through all that.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    It's far quicker to just backup your game saves and just make a note of user accounts
    For ate everything else - saved me a good 8 hours as that's how long the ps3 would take
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Avoid using the samsung m3 2tb USB drive - I would o for a WD 2tb 2.5 for the pa4 everytime
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed.

I always prefer upgrading the internal because as you say its a much neater with no extra cables, Boxes etc.. lying around. There's also less chance of the drive getting knocked or something else going wrong which could cause data loss (Something i've suffered 2-3 times with external drives hooked upto my PC the past 3-4 years, Including 1 which was never moved) Never had any issues with internal drives.

Would be nice if both PS4 & XB1 supported both options so people could do whatever option they wanted. I can see PS4 allowing external storage via an update but I gather there's no chance of existing XB1's properly supporting internal upgrades.

I think the only issue with the PS4 Hard drive upgrade at present is that there is no Backup/Restore software so once you install the new drive you have to do the system setup again including setting up all the user accounts you may have & Re-download/install everything from scratch etc...
    Would be better if they had a PS3 style Backup/restore system so you didn't need to go through all that.

Back up and restore would have been nice on PS4. That's why I upgraded sooner rather than later - less stuff to redownload. Thank god for no data caps. They've made actually changing the drive itself super easy though, which is good.

My main concern with Xbox One is what happens if the HDD fails? The console is essentially borked with no user solution. Not sure what MS's out of warranty charges are like. Also, with an external you're also permanently losing a USB socket, but it has more than PS4 I think so not a massive issue I guess. Not sure why MS made the choice to not allow upgrading the internal HDD. it doesn't seem any benefit to the consumer.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    It's far quicker to just backup your game saves and just make a note of user accounts
    For ate everything else - saved me a good 8 hours as that's how long the ps3 would take

The option would be nice though. I imagine redownloading 400GB of downloads might take a lot longer than 8 hours for some people on slower connections as well as eat into any limits someone might have.

Yet another feature that should have been there day one...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    The option would be nice though. I imagine redownloading 400GB of downloads might take a lot longer than 8 hours for some people on slower connections as well as eat into any limits someone might have.

Yet another feature that should have been there day one...

I think it's was 200gb on ps3

If u have no data caps then I'd re download from the store starting wth the most reed games u are playing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If u have no data caps then I'd re download from the store starting wth the most reed games u are playing.

Thats what i would do tbh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't change the internal hard drive on my X1 even if I could. I much prefer the external hard drive option. I only need 2 USB ports, one for the external hard drive and one for my play and charge kit charger. They are plugged in on the back USB ports so remain out of sight most of the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But where do you put the external HDD?
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,397
    Forum Member
    Would still be easier/much faster to have a backup/restore from the old HDD, Especially when you consider the lack of any download management on PS4 right now.

When I upgraded my sister's PS3 from the stock 160Gb to a 500Gb a few months back it only took about 5hrs to do the full backup/restore. To re-download/install everything she had on there would have taken a few days.

I'd just like to get everything done in 1 go & not have to spend a few days trying to get everything back as it was. Its the same when I'm reinstalling/upgrading Windows on my PC, I backup everything beforehand & ensure i've got as little re-downloading/re-installing of games/software to do as possible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But where do you put the external HDD?

Next to my X1. It's not big