'Dancing on Ice' duel opponents revealed

2»

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    They've been swapped based on the scores they received last week. It should be Luke v Anthea and Samia v Shayne.

They've not based it on scores but on the leaderboard position for weeks 1& 2 - so week 1 skaters will all be duelling against week 2 skaters.
  • SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    They've not based it on scores but on the leaderboard position for weeks 1& 2 - so week 1 skaters will all be duelling against week 2 skaters.

I think it would have been fairer my way :p

They should abandon the duel altogether if Beth isn't able to compete.

Maybe Oona should only be allowed safety if she beats her score last week?
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see how they judge the men vs women contests

Luke has said his dual is a bit unfair as the men have to do the lifts while the women have the easier option of being lifted by a professional skater so how can you make a fair contest. Karen Barber has agreed that the men have a disadvantage in that respect.

Would it have been fairer to have had striaght men vs women contest so you campare the skills required to do a lift and being lifted
  • Gordon ClownGordon Clown Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the lifts the men make at this stage are not exactly difficult anyway.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the lifts the men make at this stage are not exactly difficult anyway.

I think the problem Luke is complaining about is that he will have to match Sylvains performance (and experience at lifting) not Samias. Shane will have the same problem. I do think under the circumstances they should have paired them man versus man etc.

I imagine it will be difficult to choreograph a routine that suits The mans abilities on one side and the womans on the other.

I normally stick up for the women having lifts in their routines as there isnt anything else they can do to grab the attention - they can't lift the man! I am getting fed up of there being so many lifts though (for both the men and women) I wish there was more footwork for both of them. I know its early days but in the pictures they showed of Beth rehearsing she didnt have her feet on the ice in any of them! Yesterday I had some time to kill so went on You Tube and looked at some of Torvill and Deans old routines there is plenty of amazing footwork from Jane - more then lifts in many of them - so it is possible to choreograph routines without so many lifts.
  • TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J.R wrote: »
    I think the problem Luke is complaining about is that he will have to match Sylvains performance (and experience at lifting) not Samias. Shane will have the same problem. I do think under the circumstances they should have paired them man versus man etc.

I imagine it will be difficult to choreograph a routine that suits The mans abilities on one side and the womans on the other.

I normally stick up for the women having lifts in their routines as there isnt anything else they can do to grab the attention - they can't lift the man! I am getting fed up of there being so many lifts though (for both the men and women) I wish there was more footwork for both of them. I know its early days but in the pictures they showed of Beth rehearsing she didnt have her feet on the ice in any of them! Yesterday I had some time to kill so went on You Tube and looked at some of Torvill and Deans old routines there is plenty of amazing footwork from Jane - more then lifts in many of them - so it is possible to choreograph routines without so many lifts.

Not sure that Luke complaining is the wisest move as it can tend to come across badly (thinking Sharron Davies complaining about her song choice). I'm sure the judges will take into account the fact that obviously a male celeb is not going to be the same standard as a male pro skater they will be judging on overall skating abilty not the lifts as such. They have been matched on the relative scores from both weeks and it is on the abilities of the celeb not the pro skater so think he is maybe worrying unnecessarily.

Beth in her first routine did skate and skated on her own so she is more than capable of it so not sure why you are singling her out. Yes they show mostly lifts in rehersal shots as again that is what grabs peoples attention rather than just skating round and round but that goes for all of them Matts preview VT in last weeks show was all about lifts and wanting to do stuff that hadn't been done before. Out of all the routines I have seen so far the one that had the most lifts and almost no skating was Anthea even Lauren actually managed a bit of skating on her own. Also had a look at the shots on the DOI site and Beths are of her flat on the ice so technically she did have her skates on the ice :p

Also you are forgetting that the general public at large want to see spectacular things and want to be wowed which is why they go for the big lifts and tricks. Yes you can choreo the routines to have more skating but not so many lifts but you risk the viewers at home getting bored because its not interesting enough and not enough "risk or wow" factor for them. Yes genuine skating fans will probably appreciate more footwork but those just tuning in to be entertained that aren't really caring about how exact a crossover is want to see all the exciting stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »

They should abandon the duel altogether if Beth isn't able to compete.

Agree with this. Not fair otherwise. Better still, no more twists!

Although I quite like the idea that happened on tour. Karen Barber replaces Beth if she can't do it, and may lose her place on the judging panel if she loses!!! :D
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    If the duel can't go ahead, I think they'll all skate their save-me-skates and keep the duel for another week.
  • essexboyashessexboyash Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the duel can't go ahead, I think they'll all skate their save-me-skates and keep the duel for another week.

This would be a good idea
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,098
    Forum Member
    Agree with this. Not fair otherwise. Better still, no more twists!

Although I quite like the idea that happened on tour. Karen Barber replaces Beth if she can't do it, and may lose her place on the judging panel if she loses!!! :D

Jason "if your opinion mattered you would still be on this panel, I am choosing Oona" hehe
  • dondfan998dondfan998 Posts: 17,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame if Beth and Oona can't skate tonight as they are my two favorites!