Options

Converting MKV to MP4

DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a bunch of mkv videos that I need converting to mp4, but don't have the time to re-encode each and every video. Is there a quick way just to swap container?

Edit: I'm using Windows 7.

Comments

• Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mkv2mp4 ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    Mkv2mp4 ?
    Thanks for the response, but that only works on a Mac doesn't it? I should have added my OS into the thread when I created it. (I have now)
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    Thanks for the response, but that only works on a Mac doesn't it? I should have added my OS into the thread when I created it. (I have now)

What about this?

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MkvToMp4
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    You can trivially remux them in to the new container.

It depends how you lean. There is a tool called yamb which is a GUI front end for the de facto mp4 muxer mp4box. You may need to demux first though with mkvtools.

If it were me though I would use my goto transcoder called mediacoder and set the audio and video to copy (so there is no recoding,) and the container to mp4. This will do you a nice batch job in no time at all. Or at least as fast as your hard disk can do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I have just used hat and it did a 1.1GB file in 2 minutes 26 seconds, and the output file was 0.99GB. So this is good. :) Thanks for the link.
    flagpole wrote: »
    You can trivially remux them in to the new container.

It depends how you lean. There is a tool called yamb which is a GUI front end for the de facto mp4 muxer mp4box.

If it were me though I would use my goto transcoder called mediacoder and set the audio and video to copy (so there is no recoding,) and the container to mp4.
    I will look at this.

I've tried to understand this type of thing before, remuxing, transcoding, re-encoding, converting, etc and it did baffle me a little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you've lost 10% of the file size you have probably lost something in the process. Maybe a second audio track. The sizes should be within a few meg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    If you've lost 10% of the file size you have probably lost something in the process. Maybe a second audio track. The sizes should be within a few meg.
    Using MediaCoder took 1 minute and 20 seconds to complete (having selected copy both audio and video). The input file was 1.1GB and this has the output at 1.05GB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of you are going by the transcoding complete dialogue then that may be a rounding issue.

If you want to have a good look in the files mediainfo is a great tool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I might stick with MkvtoMp4. MediaCoder is playing havoc with my anti-virus. Most likely a false-positive, but the gain wasn't worth it. It seems to be working well, so I'll see whether they're play correctly on other devices.

Edit: Now that's annoying.

MKV would play on the TV but not the iPad. Now the converted MP4 will play on the iPad but not on the TV. Bleh.