Another Muslim attack

Comments

• thomas painthomas pain Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skipjack79 wrote: »
    Mentally ill and devoutly Islamic, now that is a very scary combination. I suspect it was just a matter of time before he came off the rails. Thankfully nobody has died, and it wasn't a planned or larger scale attack on the general population.

i love how you link this with islam. what part of "mentally sick" don't you understand?
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reminds me of the movie Four Lions where the suicide bombers debate blowing up a Mosque as it'll be the last thing people expect...
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love how you link this with islam. what part of "mentally sick" don't you understand?

I don't quite understand what your saying there, but I'm not saying being Islamic is an indication of mental illness, which you seem to be trying to imply I said. However, being devoutly religious while also mentally ill is a scary combination, wouldn't you agree?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't quite understand what your saying there, but I'm not saying being Islamic is an indication of mental illness, which you seem to be trying to imply I said. However, being devoutly religious while also mentally ill is a scary combination, wouldn't you agree?

no i don't agree. religion actually helps mentally sick people.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belief in God is a socially acceptable form of insanity.
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gamez-fan wrote: »
    Seems the irish debate is spilling into other threads now But to remain on topic when i first heard about this before i realised the
    attacker was of somalian decent i fully expected it to be some EDL type nutter who commited this crime

Must be a big disappointment for you then:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you think it helps mentally ill people to believe there are supernatural beings speaking to them and giving them instructions, then you're obviously extremely biased in your opinion, or very naive. A mentally ill man driven by religious fever has the capacity to commit the most horrific and murderous acts.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

Having an imaginary friend helps the mentally ill :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I for one would not agree.

A sufferer of mental illness is only dangerous depending upon they type of illness they suffer from. Whether or not they hold strong Athiest views, strong religious views, or neutral views, if it is the particular illness which encourages aggression the chance of danger will always be equal.

The point of those suffering mental incapacity and then committing crimes is that they lack the capacity to reason whether a reaction is appropriate. There is no logic to it. Those type of people will always have a button and it can be pressed regardless of their spiritual beliefs.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't agree. Some mentally unwell people find their religion helps them through the troubles they are enduring.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member

I doubt the promise of awaiting virgins is of much help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    Having an imaginary friend helps the mentally ill :confused:
    If you're trying to be funny then it's not working. Nor is it even true!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think it helps mentally ill people to believe there are supernatural beings speaking to them and giving them instructions, then you're obviously extremely biased in your opinion, or very naive. A mentally ill man driven by religious fever has the capacity to commit the most horrific and murderous acts.

People as you described get voices in their head telling to to do things no matter whether or not they believe in a deity, that is their illness. So the same is true for that man who isn't "driven by religious fever".
    Forum Member
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    If you're trying to be funny then it's not working. Nor is it even true!

There is no god fact !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People as you described get voices in their head telling to to do things no matter whether or not they believe in a deity, that is their illness. So the same is true for that man who isn't "driven by religious fever".
    Hear hear.
    There is no god fact !
    If that is your belief then fine, but there are people who take comfort in their beliefs. That needs to be respected. Like I choose to respect that you believe there is no god.
    Forum Member
    Hear hear.

If that is your belief then fine, but there are people who take comfort in their beliefs. That needs to be respected. Like I choose to respect that you believe there is no god.

When someone carries out an attack like last nights how can you say that his religion was comforting to him ?

I'm sure his god is very proud of him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some mentally unwell people find their religion helps them through the troubles they are enduring.

that's right
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are correct that non-religious folk can hear voices too, but belief in supernatural creatures with magic powers, who give instructions (some of which are horrendously barbaric), surely can't help someone who is already prone to mental illness? Surely they are at risk of taking the superstitious holy books literally?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When someone carries out an attack like last nights how can you say that his religion was comforting to him ?

I'm sure his god is very proud of him
    We cannot make the assumption that his attack was about religion/a hate attack. The police don't believe that it was.

I could go to church one day whilst being in the midst of a mentally ill crisis telling me to do it to others. Doesn't mean it was a religious based attack but because of mental health being at crisis point.

Also I didn't say anything about God being proud, so why mention it?!
    that's right
    Indeed. Some people would do well to remember that.
  • Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or helps reinforce their delusions preventing them from dealing with reality.
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is a vendetta/known attack at this Mosque where someone has done this to get back at a buisness rival/former employee.

The part of Birmingham where it happened is very rough and there is Somali/Pakistani tensions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My theory is a vendetta/known attack at this Mosque where someone has done this to get back at a buisness rival/former employee.

The part of Birmingham where it happened is very rough and there is Somali/Pakistani tensions.

you don't have any evidence to support your theory do you ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There have been reports from eyewitnesses that it bizarrely started over an argument regarding the better praying technique.
  • ItsallaboutyouItsallaboutyou Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Hack someone, possibly to death.

Sadly Somalia is not a civilised country, but I dont think all of them hack each other to bits.

I have noticed...they are very inward people. Rarely mix out of their own circles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's undoubtedly a form of abuse to teach people with vulnerable minds such as the mentally ill or children that religion is a fact.