Options

Do you like a good argument?

Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
Forum Member
✭✭
Can you take the opposing view just to be contrary? Does it get your blood flowing? Do you look forward to the next response just so you can go back for another bash?

Comments

• Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    Depends on who you argue with. It can last for hours if you argue with somebody who thinks they are always right.I gave up on arguing long ago as it's not worth the effort.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    No what makes my blood boil is people who won't or don't argue their point and skirt around avoiding the main point posed for page after page after page.

Happens on all and every religious thread:
    "I believe in God and he says XXXXXXX"
    "Really? Leaving alone what you imagine he said, can you back up your claim of a God, upon whose existence you are basing you call to action?"
    "No. You prove that he doesn't exist then."
    "You made the claim so it's up to you to prove your claim"
    "I just know"
    "How do you just know?"
    "I just do"
    "And just upon that imagination you base your actions?"
    "Yes I do"
    "Don't you think that is all a bit silly?"
    "No"
    "So you have nothing to back up your argument that he even exists and yet still post what you think he said and what he means by it and what should be done about it, like it's all fact?"
    (carry on to page 454534542545987925.)

On another thread about Royal Mail junk mail, I have asked repeatedly why should we be forced to do anything about it and that is never answered. Just loads of excuses, shifting of the blame and onus back onto me and never addressing the actual point posed. Anything but!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if I was to say that God exists as a construct to help ancient people explain the mysteries of life and to provide a moral compass in what was a harsh and unrelenting world? Could you accept the idea of a God on that basis?
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Argument' implies aggression and personal attacks. Is that what you mean? Can't say I like that, however I do enjoy rational discussion and heated debate and will often take the opposing view to get one going. It's when one of you starts to take things personally that it becomes an arguement, at which point all rationality flies out the window and it ceases to be fun.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What if I was to say that God exists as a construct to help ancient people explain the mysteries of life and to provide a moral compass in what was a harsh and unrelenting world? Could you accept the idea of a God on that basis?

I would strongly object to the word "Exists". It implies that it is a living being. (Or at least would be abused by followers in that way)

I have no problem with your example but I would put it into more basic language: God is a made up thing. Made up long ago to give answers to people with feeble brains, that they didn't have.

But all of that does not address why people are still making such claims today and certainly define this God thing as a sentient thing that really exists outside of them and not just an invention for people who can't cope with reality.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is this a five minute argument, or the full half hour?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gashead wrote: »
    'Argument' implies aggression and personal attacks. Is that what you mean? Can't say I like that, however I do enjoy rational discussion and will often take the opposing view to get one going. It's when one of you starts to take things personally that it becomes an arguement, at which point all rationality flies out the window and it ceases to be fun.

Then people need to educate themselves to what the word actually means rather than use it passively aggressively to try and shut the other person down.

And argument is merely something someone puts forward as to what they has to say in an issue.

It's something that a person presents and is expected to back up all of the points they make. (The religious don't however think that they do have to back up a word of what they spout)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't take long for this one to turn into a God thread, did it?
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shut your face!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Argument' implies aggression and personal attacks. Is that what you mean? Can't say I like that, however I do enjoy rational discussion and heated debate and will often take the opposing view to get one going. It's when one of you starts to take things personally that it becomes an arguement, at which point all rationality flies out the window and it ceases to be fun.
    Potatoes po-tah-toes ..... argument, debate, discuss, frank exchange of views. A good old head to head.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way, I really hate arguing. I'm just too sensitive, I think.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Didn't take long for this one to turn into a God thread, did it?

True. Some people never miss an opportunity.

On topic, I enjoy a good intelligent or even heated debate about something. But when posters start getting personal, deliberately twisting posts, or not dealing with any responses and just barking out the same thing over and over as if this somehow makes it valid, it gets annoying and tedious.
    You can argue strongly or passionately about something without being rude, ignorant or insulting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then people need to educate themselves to what the word actually means rather than use it passively aggressively to try and shut the other person down.

And argument is merely something someone puts forward as to what they has to say in an issue.

It's something that a person presents and is expected to back up all of the points they make. (The religious don't however think that they do have to back up a word of what they spout)
    And some people need to understand a word in its whole context, not just one potential meaning. The OP clearly means 'argument' to mean as I described it. Why else talk about getting your ".. blood flowing" and "..go[ing] back for another bash" ? A person arguing for a certain p.o.v. doesn't want to do that. The OP clearly means the 'wind 'em up, watch up bite' style of discussion, i.e. a 'proper' argument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would strongly object to the word "Exists". It implies that it is a living being. (Or at least would be abused by followers in that way)
    Don't ideas exist? We have Laws. They're ideas about codes of conduct. They exist, surely?
    I have no problem with your example but I would put it into more basic language: God is a made up thing. Made up long ago to give answers to people with feeble brains, that they didn't have.
    Isn't that just rearranging the words to satisfy your idea of your own intellectual superiority?
    But all of that does not address why people are still making such claims today and certainly define this God thing as a sentient thing that really exists outside of them and not just an invention for people who can't cope with reality.
    Maybe some people find comfort in the idea of something bigger than themselves. Perhaps like the comfort one gets from knowing one's parents or grandparents are there to guide and advise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True. Some people never miss an opportunity.

On topic, I enjoy a good intelligent or even heated debate about something. But when posters start getting personal, deliberately twisting posts, or not dealing with any responses and just barking out the same thing over and over as if this somehow makes it valid, it gets annoying and tedious.
    How do you deal with that? How do you deal with the person who just doesn't "get it"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Potatoes po-tah-toes ..... argument, debate, discuss, frank exchange of views. A good old head to head.
    It's really not, it depends on context*. If I said to someone "I've had an arguement with the missus", everyone would take that to mean a serious disagreement over something, probably involving shouting and door slamming. I don't believe anyone would think I was talking about a rational debate over whether the UK should join the Euro.

* ETA - maybe you meant the 'rational debate' style, but why bring blood and bashing into it? As I say, that changed the context.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And some people need to understand a word in its whole context, not just one potential meaning. The OP clearly means 'argument' to mean as I described it. Why else talk about getting your ".. blood flowing" and "..go[ing] back for another bash" ? A person arguing for a certain p.o.v. doesn't want to do that. The OP clearly means the 'wind 'em up, watch up bite' style of discussion, i.e. a 'proper' argument.
    No, actually I did mean a good debate. My bad for the choice of word "argument" but it's not meant in a nasty sort of way.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No what makes my blood boil is people who won't or don't argue their point and skirt around avoiding the main point posed for page after page after page.

Happens on all and every religious thread:
    "I believe in God and he says XXXXXXX"
    "Really? Leaving alone what you imagine he said, can you back up your claim of a God, upon whose existence you are basing you call to action?"
    "No. You prove that he doesn't exist then."
    "You made the claim so it's up to you to prove your claim"
    "I just know"
    "How do you just know?"
    "I just do"
    "And just upon that imagination you base your actions?"
    "Yes I do"
    "Don't you think that is all a bit silly?"
    "No"
    "So you have nothing to back up your argument that he even exists and yet still post what you think he said and what he means by it and what should be done about it, like it's all fact?"
    (carry on to page 454534542545987925.)

On another thread about Royal Mail junk mail, I have asked repeatedly why should we be forced to do anything about it and that is never answered. Just loads of excuses, shifting of the blame and onus back onto me and never addressing the actual point posed. Anything but!

Is this an example of someone who likes an argument so much he is now resorting to arguing with himself?
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    fender101 wrote: »
    I've told you once.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, actually I did mean a good debate. My bad for the choice of word "argument" but it's not meant in a nasty sort of way.
    Fair enough then.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Not really. If someone wants to believe they are right, then it's a waste of time and energy trying to argue otherwise I've found.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bratwurzt wrote: »
    Shut your face!
    Eloquent and succinct lol

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fender101 wrote: »
    A really good pot boiler can go on for days... ha ha ha
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    How do you deal with that? How do you deal with the person who just doesn't "get it"?

I usually just get fed up and leave the thread. No doubt they see that as a victory , but there really is no arguing with some people. They won't even discuss an alternative point of view or concede on any point whatsoever, and when they can't think of a logical response to a post which challenges their view, they just start hitting out with insults and personal remarks.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    It depends on how much time and energy I have to spare.