Ex Radio 1 DJ and TV presenter Mike Smith has died aged 59

Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,440
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Breaking news on the BBC that Mike Smith has died aged just 59 after complications with Heart Surgery.

Comments

• Fadge1968Fadge1968 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Breaking news on the BBC that Mike Smith has died.

How shocking.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,684
    Forum Member
    How very sad

Of course survived a helicopter crash with his wife Sarah Greene back in September 1988 but far too young to die

I last saw them as a couple in Pointless Celebrities last year. How very sad for Sarah:(
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Way too young :(
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well damn, what a shame:(
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really sad news. :cry:

My thoughts are with Sarah.
  • CamisCamis Posts: 13,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How sad :(
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol I remember Cheggers tried to knock on his door for Big Breakfast and he got upset and complained and channel 4 said "we are sorry Mike doesn't have a sense of humour".
  • CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Lol I remember Cheggers tried to knock on his door for Big Breakfast and he got upset and complained and channel 4 said "we are sorry Mike doesn't have a sense of humour".
    lol? What's so funny about it? Insensitive post of the year.
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Real shocker this one. Far too young. Remember him well from 80s TV with Sarah Green. A great DJ as well.

I feel very sad for Sarah. :(
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That really is a terrible shame, he was a superb radio and television broadcaster in his heyday.

Indeed, the sheer number of shows he presented and appears on proves it; Top Of The Pops, The Late Late Breakfast Show, Breakfast Time, That's Showbusiness, Trick Or Treat, Hearts Of Gold, Body Heat, the BBC's coverage of Live Aid and the Montreux Music Festivals, the notorious Ghostwatch - and that's not even mentioning fronting the most prestigious show in radio, the Radio 1 Breakfast Show, for two years.

It's a shame he disappeared from broadcasting in the way he did but he set up his helicopter filming company instead and made it into a very successful venture.

RIP Mike Smith.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    lol? What's so funny about it? Insensitive post of the year.

Most insensitive post of the year get a grip
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very surprised at this. Yet another celebrity who I wasn't expecting to go anywhere near yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most insensitive post of the year get a grip
    Laughing at someone dying isn't insensitive?
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another person who figured strongly in my younger days is gone. R.I.P., Mike. As mentioned above, very sad for his wife, Sarah x
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, so soon after Rik Mayall. Very sad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Laughing at someone dying isn't insensitive?

When someone dies you remember them how you remember them tough if it does not suit you.

You should try reading Ukraine, MH17 or Israel/Gaza threads if you want to see real insensitivity.
  • rocketsciencerocketscience Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Yet another celebrity who I wasn't expecting to go anywhere

His career had stalled somewhat since That's Showbusiness ended, it's true.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was a legend & will be missed by many. RIP
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When someone dies you remember them how you remember them tough if it does not suit you.

You should try reading Ukraine, MH17 or Israel/Gaza threads if you want to see real insensitivity.
    If you don't like Mike Smith fine, you didn't have to make a crass comment about him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP Mike. Thanks for all the entertainment. :):cry:
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RIP

None of the news reports have mentioned that he also in the 1980s drove in motorsport. He competed in the Touring Car championship for a while.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    RIP

None of the news reports have mentioned that he also in the 1980s drove in motorsport. He competed in the Touring Car championship for a while.

Ah that explains it! Was searching my brain for why I associated him with Oulton Park. I remember as a kid getting radio 1 stickers and all sorts from one of the meets. Must have been Touring Cars.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah that explains it! Was searching my brain for why I associated him with Oulton Park. I remember as a kid getting radio 1 stickers and all sorts from one of the meets. Must have been Touring Cars.

Murray Walker said that he "guaranteed action by the bucket-load". Though he did clash with his teammate Frank Sytner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRmTh69PLEU
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    RIP.

Yikes, haven't seen Ghostwatch in years.