Options

What is your earliest memory of Music?

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mother tells me that I used to endlessly play 'Daisy Bell' on the 'Meeker' when I was 3 (1961) but I don't know which recording. The Nat King Cole version was 1963 so maybe we got the year wrong?
  • Options
    Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Jackson - Bad

I remember singing it when I was like 4 years old after I probably saw the clip earlier at home. I remember being happy that one really nice kindergarten teacher recognized the song even when I was only trying to imitate how the words sounded (English is not my first language) and then we were singing it together while running in the schoolyard. It's a nice memory.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember my parents playing Rod Stewart and Elton John on the living room stereo on Sunday mornings. I also remember finding my parents' copy of Foreign Affair by Tina Turner and playing it on my cassette player in my bedroom. I vaguely remember watching Orinoco Flow by Enya on television.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Leader of the Gang by Gary Glitter :o
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My earliest memory of music I can recall was "Ob-la-di Ob-la-da" and "Yellow Submarine" by the Beatles, probably because they sounded like nursery rhymes or children's songs.

A little bit later I remember "Starman" by David Bowie and "Bridge Over Troubled Water" by Simon and Garfunkel because my eldest sister had the singles and played them a lot.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember watching Sandie Shaw win Eurovision.

I remember my mum having Radio 1 on all day every day when it first started and they used to play " Baby Now That I've Found You" by The Foundations about 10 times a day.
    It's so much a part of my early memories now.

Had to smile here..my mum also had Radio 1 on all day when it started and this is exactly when I first strarted to notice music as well, and yes that Foundation's song was always played, I also remember The Happening (Supremes) the Boat That I Row (Lulu) Strangers In The Night (Sinatra) and for some reason Theme from Dr Zhivago

whenever I hear these songs, it sends me straight back to then..the power of music eh?
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being born in November 88, my earliest memory of a song is No Limits by 2 Unlimited. I also remember the cool Pinball video.

Being 4 at the time however, I didn't actually know what Limits were, and I think I thought they were a type of peanut. 😝😝
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    There are certain songs from my first few years alive (1988-1991) that I've always seem to just 'known', and have no memories of hearing them for the first time - presumably they were played enough on TV/radio to make an impression on me. It's something of a weird list...

Sabrina - Boys
    Tina Turner - The Best
    Bombalurina - Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
    Cher - The Shoop Shoop Song

Things start getting a bit more familiar by 1993 and I've got memories of (as mentioned above) No Limit, plus Take That's 'Relight My Fire', 'Go West' by the Pet Shop Boys, and my earliest memory of Top of the Pops, Mr Blobby!
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shakin' stevens - this ole house
    joe dolce - shaddap you face
    the tweets - birdie song
    the wombles - wombling songs (album)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    Jimi Hendrix scaring the shi* out of me when I was about 4 years old in the early 70's. My Dad used to play his stuff all the time.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,653
    Forum Member
    I've got quite a musical family so my earliest memory of music would've been around 1985. I know my older brother bought a lot of 7" singles back then and he was always playing them.

The point when I really became interested in music was thanks to my sister. May 1988 listening to the UK top 40 on Radio 1 to see if Got To Be Certain had gone to #1 and our disappointment when it stalled at #2. lol

Actually, I remember when my brother was watching The Chart Show on Channel 4 (would've been 1986) and they did that stop and rewind the music video thing, then it would stop and play the next video. I vaguely remember them doing that to A Different Corner by George Michael and when it happened, I yelled at my brother as I thought he was messing with the remote control and he just starred at me all innocent in a "I'm not doing that" way. :p
  • Options
    Ally_BowieAlly_Bowie Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My first recollection of what music was was two albums, a Dad v Mum type of thing..... My dad was always playing David Bowies Heroes album and at the same time my mum always had Banaramas Deep Sea Skiving album on repeat, I think by the age of 3 or 4 I could run all songs from both Lps from the top of my head...I still can even though I don't actually own either album or haven't heard either since the late 80s when my folks were on to the latest trend later on in the decade. I honestly think I got the best of both worlds from my mum and dad, he liked the cool artists and mum like the current chart stuff :) happy days, glad I came on this thread now :)
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gina G - Ooh Aah Just A Little Bit is probably the first song I remember. I was 4 when it was released.

I remember my dad having a couple of albums by Sash! on cassette when I was about 7. Oh, and M People!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I can't remember exactly but I think it might have been listening to ABBA Gold on my Walkman when I was about 6 and singing along. My parents had a copy on cassette and they gave it to me to listen to and I loved it. I've loved ABBA ever since. I also remember Eurovision 1997.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    It was probably around the time Michael Jackson's Bad album was out approx 1988.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It won't have been the first song I ever heard but the earliest memory I have of hearing a song was with "Ride on Time" by Black Box.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,084
    Forum Member
    "I'd like to teach the world to sing" Coke advert and "Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep" by Middle Of The Road on the radio. 1971 so I was between 3 - 4 years old.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,776
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electric Avenue by Eddy Grant. Being a young child I found the video quite scary.
  • Options
    biscuitfactorybiscuitfactory Posts: 29,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to smile here..my mum also had Radio 1 on all day when it started and this is exactly when I first strarted to notice music as well, and yes that Foundation's song was always played, I also remember The Happening (Supremes) the Boat That I Row (Lulu) Strangers In The Night (Sinatra) and for some reason Theme from Dr Zhivago

whenever I hear these songs, it sends me straight back to then..the power of music eh?

Hey, Johny! Kindred spirits,eh? :)

You were probably playing with your plastercine or colouring-in your Captain Scarlett colouring book, listening to "The Last Waltz" by Engelbert Humperdink or "World" by The Bee Gees at exactly the same time as I was!
    Yes, you're absolutely right about how certain songs can take you right back to the time, like you're actually there again.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mums Motown Chartbusters albums
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, Johny! Kindred spirits,eh? :)

You were probably playing with your plastercine or colouring-in your Captain Scarlett colouring book, listening to "The Last Waltz" by Engelbert Humperdink or "World" by The Bee Gees at exactly the same time as I was!
    Yes, you're absolutely right about how certain songs can take you right back to the time, like you're actually there again.

My God, Were you watching me?:)
    Oh yes Engelebert! I forgot that one, also The Tremeloes' 'Silence Is Golden' and 'Up, UP & Away' which I think were The King Singers?? or something like that?..anyway was more of a Tunderbirds fan in those days, liked Cpt Scarlett, but always came in a distant second to the Tracy Family
  • Options
    Cpt James KirkCpt James Kirk Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Listening to Sgt Peppers, Help and Hard Days Night, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Beatles For Sale and With The Beatles with my Dad in an evening whilst my Mum was out doing Tupperware parties.

God. I feel old. I am also a life long Beatles fan.

I also remember listening to Elton Johns early stuff, the Monkees and the Everleys.

Happy days.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has to be Nina Simone and "My baby just cares for me" or Billie Holiday's "God bless the child"

I use to think Billie Holiday was my first musical memory but something years later convinced me it was Nina Simone.
    I recall my mother making a fuss over the fact I could appreciate these songs. I was 4 at the time.

My mother thought me and my sister were born, old. If that makes sense.
  • Options
    rufus oculusrufus oculus Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    hume wrote: »
    It has to be Nina Simone and "My baby just cares for me" or Billie Holiday's "God bless the child"

I use to think Billie Holiday was my first musical memory but something years later convinced me it was Nina Simone.
    I recall my mother making a fuss over the fact I could appreciate these songs. I was 4 at the time.

My mother thought me and my sister were born, old. If that makes sense.

You obviously had good taste from an early age. Nina covered "Strange Fruit". Could that be how you confused the two artists?
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I'm not too sure exactly but I remember my parents liked a Prefab Sprout album and the song I remember was 'King of Rock and Roll' which turns out I'd been singing the wrong lyrics and the song title was not 'Albert Cookie'. I was very young -that's my excuse lol.

I remember the Beatles being played a fair bit on the local radio station but the sound quality was naff a bit muffled tbh.