Options

Muhammad Ali close to death :(

darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
Forum Member
✭✭
Fears for Muhammad Ali's health are growing after the boxer's brother suggested the legendary sportsman could be dead with "days".

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/191528.html#BvyVh5EAiEcpWDwb.99

Comments

• Options
    SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    O dear:(

Didn't know he was still alive though:eek:
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A true icon and inspiration, Hope he gets better
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not altogether unexpected as he has Parkinsons which is a progressive neurological disorder. He has been frail for years from what can be seen from his occasional public appearances. It would be the passing of a legend from the golden era of heavyweight boxing which seems to have lost something of its high profile since the days of Tyson.
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't see it on the Beeb site.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I'm saddened by this, but not surprised. I saw footage of him at the Olympics and at Joe Frazier's funeral and he looked very ill.

The guy is a legend in and out of the ring.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Can't see it on the Beeb site.

If you look at the ESPN story it's based on a pretty vague comment by Ali's brother - probably not really newsworthy by BBC standards.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Sad to hear, he was a great fighter but an awful racist.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very sad, but not unexpected. He didn't look too good at the Olympics last year :(
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I've been waiting for something like this to come out for a while, he's going downhill fast nowadays.

There's never been anyone quite like Ali. He wasn't a particularly nice person in his prime, some might say he was downright evil, but as time has gone on his name stands for something more.

Great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzofi_QltI
  • Options
    CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sad, very sad
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee...........you can pull through coz you are Ali

Truly hope he gets through this, an iconic person
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Float like a Butterfly, Sting like a Bee...........you can pull through coz you are Ali

Truly hope he gets through this, an iconic person

I don't know, there's a part of me that thinks he's suffered long enough. He has been seriously ill for a very long time and must have no quality of life at all.
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame :(
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »

he was very confident in his race,I took no offense from that.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I don't know, there's a part of me that thinks he's suffered long enough. He has been seriously ill for a very long time and must have no quality of life at all.

Hi Matt,

I think your right on that in some ways but a bit of me reckons that he was aware of many parts of it and has had some quality of life but I know what you mean.
  • Options
    dengie dudedengie dude Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sad to know..Greatest boxer that ever lived and a gentleman withit
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    he was very confident in his race,I took no offense from that.

Would you say the same about the KKK? Because the type of stuff Ali and the Nation of Islam preached was exactly the same, only the other side of the coin. Ali actually spoke at a KKK rally, such were their "goals" so similar.

They were different times, but it's fair to say he was a pretty big racist. Same with all the stuff he said about Joe Frazier. People like to go on about honour between fighters, and make out that him and Frazier made friends, but in reality Frazier despised him for how he tried to destroy his life.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    The brother who is giving out this information hasn't seen Ali since July so I'm not sure if he is best placed to be making these comments
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The brother who is giving out this information hasn't seen Ali since July so I'm not sure if he is best placed to be making these comments

Really? Interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HBnc8YNaaQ

Micheal Parkinson interview.
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would you say the same about the KKK? Because the type of stuff Ali and the Nation of Islam preached was exactly the same, only the other side of the coin. Ali actually spoke at a KKK rally, such were their "goals" so similar.

They were different times, but it's fair to say he was a pretty big racist. Same with all the stuff he said about Joe Frazier. People like to go on about honour between fighters, and make out that him and Frazier made friends, but in reality Frazier despised him for how he tried to destroy his life.

the KKK went out to hurt people,m,Ali didn't.he just appeared to believe birds of a feather should flock together.as a white person he never remotely offended me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caldari wrote: »

Indeed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    workhorse wrote: »
    the KKK went out to hurt people,m,Ali didn't.he just appeared to believe birds of a feather should flock together.as a white person he never remotely offended me.

Didn't offend me either, mainly because I wasn't born. By definition it's racist though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's spoken to him on the phone though:confused: He said he couldn't speak:confused:

http://www.bet.com/news/sports/2013/02/03/muhammad-ali-near-death-warns-brother.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Betcom-AllNews+%28BET.com+-+All+News%29