Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Has anyone met the Hairy Bikers? They seem a laugh. I'm not really interested in 'celebrities' but those two seem like they would be fun to hang out with

We went to a butcher's shop where they'd filmed something for one of their shows. The butcher couldn't say enough good things about them.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We went to a butcher's shop where they'd filmed something for one of their shows. The butcher couldn't say enough good things about them.

That's good to hear.:)
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd like to be mates with them I think.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    I once met actor James Bolam. He was on location, shooting with other actors.
    I didn't know any of them, so I said hello to James, 'all right...'
    Well he totally ignored me, as if I were the Invisible Man. :D

Bolam has something of an unfortunate reputation, I think. Most reports suggest that he is very brusque and dismissive of fans, although there are exceptions. And of course there is his vendetta against Rodney Bewes.

It's a shame really, because I've always thought he was a very good actor.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once met actor James Bolam. He was on location, shooting with other actors.

I didn't know any of them, so I said hello to James, 'all right...'

Well he totally ignored me, as if I were the Invisible Man. :D

I think it was that detective show he was recently in on BBC1. Can't remember its name.

New Tricks.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never say hello to people I don't know, if they nodded or said hi to me I might do the same back but I would keep swiftly moving
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I never say hello to people I don't know, if they nodded or said hi to me I might do the same back but I would keep swiftly moving

Quite agree.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say this thread is a great disappointment to me. Turns out most celebrities are in fact normal and friendly people, what a shame!
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soundcheck wrote: »
    Bolam has something of an unfortunate reputation, I think. Most reports suggest that he is very brusque and dismissive of fans, although there are exceptions. And of course there is his vendetta against Rodney Bewes.

It's a shame really, because I've always thought he was a very good actor.

His rudeness to fans, his paranoia about his privacy and difficulty to work with are well known. Rodney Bewes OTOH is completely approachable and will discuss the Likely Lads with anyone who asks.
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »
    I have to say this thread is a great disappointment to me. Turns out most celebrities are in fact normal and friendly people, what a shame!

Apart from Black!!
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    His rudeness to fans, his paranoia about his privacy and difficulty to work with are well known. Rodney Bewes OTOH is completely approachable and will discuss the Likely Lads with anyone who asks.

I suppose he doesn't have to talk to fans if he doesn't want to, even if it makes him disliked. And actors are entitled to a private life. What I don't understand is someone once told me he refuses to allow repeats of The Likely Lads, what little of them survive. How is that possible? They belong to the BBC, not him.
    Forum Member
    I suppose he doesn't have to talk to fans if he doesn't want to, even if it makes him disliked. And actors are entitled to a private life. What I don't understand is someone once told me he refuses to allow repeats of The Likely Lads, what little of them survive. How is that possible? They belong to the BBC, not him.

It's a common clause in contracts to require the approval of the leading members of a cast before repeating a tv or radio series. Not sure, but it might be Equity rules relating to the right of an actor to control his or her exposure.

The story is (and I don't know how true this is) that Bolam's refusal was based solely, or principally, on the fact that Bewes really needed the money that a repeat would bring in.
  • chipstick10chipstick10 Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Microkorg wrote: »
    The Scots (with the exception of Brian Alexander Robertson), have never lost that 'common' touch.
    Which is what make people like Lorraine, Edwin Collins,Kaye Adams, Roddy Frame, etc,etc..such genuine lovely people..
    there IS no pretence.. due I believe, to the sense of commumnity & National pride the Scottish still have, unlike us Londoners, who don't have a clue.. too diverse & accomodating to every race, creed or culture..

love 'em all, and I'm a southern softie
    I bed to differ re lorraine. My mate works at a TV station and deals with her lots. She's a right diva by all accounts and a bit of a bitch.
  • EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard The Likely Lads repeated on BBC 4 Extra fairly recently, so perhaps he's mellowed.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellef wrote: »
    I've heard The Likely Lads repeated on BBC 4 Extra fairly recently, so perhaps he's mellowed.

Are you referring to the radio version of the show?

BBC4 TV repeated the whole of Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads? last year.
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

Thought his 'veto' didn't cover satelite channels, only the likes of BBC 1 or 2, but how does this affect the likes of BBC 3 & 4?

Aren't 3 & 4 supposed to be received by everyone ?

How come it seems to be 'cheaper' to repeat stuff on 4 rather than 2?

(This could be important if the Beeb decide to axe BBC Four, as the most important programme on there for us archive TV fans is TOTP!)
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    The Scots (with the exception of Brian Alexander Robertson), have never lost that 'common' touch.
    Which is what make people like Lorraine, Edwin Collins,Kaye Adams, Roddy Frame, etc,etc..such genuine lovely people..
    there IS no pretence.. due I believe, to the sense of commumnity & National pride the Scottish still have, unlike us Londoners, who don't have a clue.. too diverse & accomodating to every race, creed or culture..

love 'em all, and I'm a southern softie

I hate the whole 'Braveheart' thing with a vengence and there are great people and a-holes from every geographical location - but that said I have a disproportionate amount of crushes in Scottish actors (David Tennant, James McAvoy, Ewan McGregor, Robert Carlyle) and most of them seem to be nice guys which it's always nice to know for me and would seem to re-inforce your arguement - recent endorsement of Peter Calpaldi's nice guy credentials also back you up.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    Apart from Black!!

She's perfectly pleasant here. Does make you wonder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmpRLsBTm3g
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    In 2010, Bewes complained about his former co-star's refusal to allow repeats of The Likely Lads, preventing his earning anything from them; "he must be very wealthy; me, I've just got an overdraft and a mortgage."
  • EllefEllef Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »

Sorry for late reply - yes, definitely the radio version.
  • nw0307nw0307 Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 2010, Bewes complained about his former co-star's refusal to allow repeats of The Likely Lads, preventing his earning anything from them; "he must be very wealthy; me, I've just got an overdraft and a mortgage."

Apparently Martin Shaw did the same thing by not allowing The Professionals to be repeated and stopping Lewis Collins getting much needed repeat royalties. He did however change his mind a couple of years ago. Not that it matters now poor Lewis is dead
  • crunchie crispcrunchie crisp Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    As far as I remember Martin Shaw stopped the repeats of the Professionals because he was not proud of the programme, not due to a feud.
  • KankuretteKankurette Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Saffron from Republica - anyone remember them? They were touring with Space last week and I got to meet her in Manchester. She was really nice. Hasn't changed much since 1997 either.
    Forum Member
    As far as I remember Martin Shaw stopped the repeats of the Professionals because he was not proud of the programme, not due to a feud.

So, one of the lead characters in a popular series, knowing that another of the lead characters was desperately short of money, chose to deny that person a source of income - despite having equal entitlement - because he had concerns about his artistic integrity?

I hope that isn't the case!

On the subject of this "permission to re-broadcast" thing, I have exchanged emails with a friend, an ex-Aunty producer (now long retired). He said that the Beeb was infamous for coming up with ways to reduce actors' fees, often by way of giving them a certain degree of editorial or production control over the programme in return for a smaller pay packet. This must have been ok with Equity, but he's not sure how widespread the practice was in the real world.

Aunty did have some foresighted solicitors, however, because they have been able to broadcast - or sell - some series against the wishes of some of the actors, because of the precise wording of the contracts. For example, some contracts prohibit "terrestrial retransmission" without the agreement of all parties. Hellooooo Sky...
  • KankuretteKankurette Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I met Simon Rimmer today at a cooking exhibition. He was very good with the crowd and stayed behind afterwards to talk to everyone and sign autographs. He was particularly good with the kids. Top bloke
    He is! He was best man at my auntie and uncle's wedding, and he made this hilarious speech afterwards. I've seen him at their house a few times - I think he came to a christening years ago. They don't see much of him now cos he's so busy with TV etc. He had a show called Simmer With Rimmer at one point. Horrible taste in football teams (I'm an Evertonian myself). ;) Greens, his restaurant, is near my house and I've been a couple of times. The food is pricey, but it is worth it. And it doesn't surprise me that he's great with kids, he was always good with my little cousins.