Options

Orange Breach of Contract

2»

Comments

• Options
    TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your approach isnt going to help in the long run OP....at some point your ex is going to get hold of your number because there is little point in having a mobile unless people are able to contact you so ultimately they will get your number and it is likely to leak out.

You need to use the police to enforce the harrassment order so stop him/her contacting you and also block the number he/she uses to call you so your ex no longer gets through. Your phone can be used to do this but you could also check with Orange to see if they can put a block on it at their end.

I cant see how Orange would have given out your number but if your ex does have a friend working there they could have done but would have to breach data protection to do so which is a criminal offence. The difficulty will be proving it, especially as Orange are the only people likely to know what has happened and they will try to protect the organisation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 472
    Forum Member
    My mum has an orange contract. She had a problem a few weeks ago and asked for my help as she isn't good with technology. I rang Orange and said I was her. They asked me for her address, which I knew, and account password which I didn't. When I told the operator I didn't know what the password was, they asked me for her date of birth instead, which I obviously knew. They resolved the issue for her and ended up giving her a better tariff deal, which I know wouldn't have happened if she'd made the call herself.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the ex got a male friend to call Orange with address and date of birth details, tell them they've just been given a new number but they can't remember what it was and could they please confirm it for him?
  • Options
    intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    Err why would Orange give out the number to someone who rang up pretending to be the OP without checking the security stuff they generally set up? Especially given the background to all this? Why would anyone ring up to ask what their own number was anyway? I'd have thought that would set alarm bells ringing with them. Any dealings I've had with Orange have always had security check questions fired at me.
    IMO the ex having a friend who works there who got the info for them is unlikely. Not worth the possibility of losing a job for them if there was either.

OP have you thought of googling yourself and any e mail addresses or usernames for forums etc to see if it comes up with your number at all?

Yes, they do when you call them (or any other callcentre) because the calls are recorded and can be listened to by managers at any time so they have to pass data protection and ask the questions set up by you or questions that relate to your personal info. Asking a friend who works there to get a number for them only takes a worker to go into someones file, write the number down on a piece of paper and then text it to them later on. Unless the system shows who exactly went into what account and what time, there is no risk of job loss over doing that. Most call centre programs only list who last edited or modified an account (i.e logging a call note or amending details or something).

Despite the ongoing pushing for data protection and the importance of security by managers, the fact is, most low paid low level employees couldn't give two shits about it.
  • Options
    BK.BK. Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get rid of the phone altogether.

You can't need it that much if only three people have your number anyway? :S Or alternatively, buy a cheap £15 PAYG mobile phone that's not on Orange (choose a different network) and make your outgoing called ID private. Then use that to get in touch with people without them knowing the phone number?

I'm not saying Orange haven't given out the mobile number, I don't know that for a fact. Even still, I think you're jumping to conclusions. It's far, far, FAR more likely to have gotten out from one of the three people who know your number.

Of course you will reply that there is no physically possible way on this entire earth that could have happened, but that's bullshit. If there's a possibility Orange gave out your number, there's at least a possibility one of the other three people who know it did too. Don't be naive - look where that's got you already, OP!
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    I don't know why anyone would ring their phone providr to find out their own number. Easiest thing to do is text or call a friend and get them to tell you what it is. Also wouldn't Orange ask you why you weten't calling from the phone in question if someone else called to ask? I will be surprised if it came about because of something Orange did.
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum has an orange contract. She had a problem a few weeks ago and asked for my help as she isn't good with technology. I rang Orange and said I was her. They asked me for her address, which I knew, and account password which I didn't. When I told the operator I didn't know what the password was, they asked me for her date of birth instead, which I obviously knew. They resolved the issue for her and ended up giving her a better tariff deal, which I know wouldn't have happened if she'd made the call herself.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that the ex got a male friend to call Orange with address and date of birth details, tell them they've just been given a new number but they can't remember what it was and could they please confirm it for him?

This is what I was thinking. From the relationship she would probably have enough information to fraudulently call Orange on your behalf or have a friend do so.

So perhaps the best thing for the OP to do would be to discuss this possibility with orange directly, and find out if they can retreive a recording of any conversations relating to your mobile phone account in this recent period.
  • Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p.s. And if Orange don't co-operate with that reasonable request, you could probably demand it lawfully by filing a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act.