Mary J. Blige - My Life II... The Journey Continues (Act 1)

Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anybody got a chance to pick up a copy. Fantastic album in my opinion. Has a real 90s feel to it and goes all the way back to Marys days when she began music. It's a follow up to her 1994 album 'My Life':D

Stand out tracks - Mr Wrong (feat. Drake), 25/8, Love a Woman (feat. Beyonce), Midnight Drive, Empty Prayer.

It's a shame that 'My Life' got to #2 in UK and this is sitting at #29 on itunes, but I put that down to her fanbase not being as strong as in the states and lack of UK promotion. I want Mary back in the UK performing hard :(

Comments

• MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was fantastic on 'Alan Carr, Chatty Man' last week.
    She seemed to really enjoy herself as well.

In fact, after her appearance I dug out my copy of 'The Breakthrough' album. Bloody good it is too.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loved 'The Breakthrough' and 'Growing Pains' she changes her sound up so well but it was good to see her take it back with the new album.

Mary was great on Chatty Man, she has a great sense of humour :D

I would love to see her perform on X Factor or possibly Strictly. But it doesn't look likely :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I got my copy, it's been on repeat ALL day long. I love it!!!

I even got a tweet from the lady herself yesterday, was so unbelievably happy :):):)

I think Mary will definitely be back in the UK next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxSammiexx wrote: »
    I got my copy, it's been on repeat ALL day long. I love it!!!

I even got a tweet from the lady herself yesterday, was so unbelievably happy :):):)

I think Mary will definitely be back in the UK next year.

:O The Queen actually tweeted you, damn lucky you:eek: Though I like that Mary connects with her fans through twitter. I'm glad I'm not the only one loving her album, it's a fantastic piece of work. Hopefully she can grab herself a few more grammys next year :p

Unfortunely, in the US Rihanna will probably get #1 but we all know Mary been holding her genre for nearly 20 years :D
    Forum Member
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    :O The Queen actually tweeted you, damn lucky you:eek: Though I like that Mary connects with her fans through twitter. I'm glad I'm not the only one loving her album, it's a fantastic piece of work. Hopefully she can grab herself a few more grammys next year :p

Unfortunely, in the US Rihanna will probably get #1 but we all know Mary been holding her genre for nearly 20 years :D

I know, I was so shocked! My husband was in fits laughing at me, I kept sayin' 'Oh my God' over and over again before bursting into tears ha ha! Made my day I can tell you.

Rihanna is everywhere at the moment, a case of overload for me. Mary is pure class, enough said. What are your standout tracks from My Life II?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xxSammiexx wrote: »
    I know, I was so shocked! My husband was in fits laughing at me, I kept sayin' 'Oh my God' over and over again before bursting into tears ha ha! Made my day I can tell you.

Rihanna is everywhere at the moment, a case of overload for me. Mary is pure class, enough said. What are your standout tracks from My Life II?

Pretty much all of them :o
    25/8 is amazing, from the get-go. Then When I heard Mr Wrong I wasn't feeling it, I thought it was similiar to Motivation by kelly Rowland but after more listens I love it. Also love 'Need Someone, 'Empty Prayers' 'Love a Woman' 'Midnight Drive' and then the bonus of 'Someone To Love Me' is very good. She never strays from her hip-hop/soul which is what I like.

It's true Mary is pure class. What are your stand-outs?

Is it bad I keep my focus on Itunes to see if she keeps moving up:o I just hate when artists don't get success they deserve :p Currently at #26:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I adore Mary J. Blige and have been waiting for this album for a while, she always seems to deliver some quality material.

I absolutely adored the song 'Someone To Love Me (Naked)' that she did a video for a while ago, I love that song. So this album was always going to be something special.
    Forum Member
    Pretty much all of them :o
    25/8 is amazing, from the get-go. Then When I heard Mr Wrong I wasn't feeling it, I thought it was similiar to Motivation by kelly Rowland but after more listens I love it. Also love 'Need Someone, 'Empty Prayers' 'Love a Woman' 'Midnight Drive' and then the bonus of 'Someone To Love Me' is very good. She never strays from her hip-hop/soul which is what I like.

It's true Mary is pure class. What are your stand-outs?

Is it bad I keep my focus on Itunes to see if she keeps moving up:o I just hate when artists don't get success they deserve :p Currently at #26:D

Mine are 'Mr Wrong', 'Feel Inside', 'Midnight Drive', 'Love a Woman', 'Empty Prayers', 'Need Someone' and 'One Life'....in fact I just love the whole album!! 'You Want This' reminds me of MJ's Baby be Mine/Thriller era, so I'm likin that too.

I hope she does well, we need her back in the UK on tour :D
    Forum Member
    w00sh wrote: »
    I adore Mary J. Blige and have been waiting for this album for a while, she always seems to deliver some quality material.

I absolutely adored the song 'Someone To Love Me (Naked)' that she did a video for a while ago, I love that song. So this album was always going to be something special.

Agree :):)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Terrific album, for me her best since the 90s. This is basically what Love & Life should have been. And she should have skipped Stronger withEach Tear and go straight to this!

Feel Inside and Next level are fire, I was blown away by Empty Prayers, and I was dubious when i first heard she'd covered Ain't Nobody but she did a great job. The production is stellar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    Mary J. Blige is one of my favourite female artists in the industry, obviously she's not my overall favourite (Jill Scott is the one I stan for regarding music). But Mary is high on that list, I was always going to check this album out, I've been pretty excited regarding this release and it seems it was well worth the wait.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Hmm...Didn't Mary's previous album debut with 400k sold with less promotion than 'My Life 2.0.'? ;) Rihanna's biggest US debut so far is less than 210k so she's not the main contender for the No.1 spot and Mary will outsell her with ease :cool: (that's not shade towards Rihanna, just statistics ;)).If Mary J Blige fails to debut at No.1, then she willl probably have been outsold by Nickelback.Micheal Buble is considerable competition too :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this album is going to prove that Mary still has 'it'. I feel people may think that Mary has been in the business for nearly 20 years, and she now can't compete in a scene where we have Rihanna, Beyonce etc. But this record proves Mary is going nowhere. Hip-Hop/Soul = Mary J. Blige and many new artists to the RnB/Soul genre will cite Mary as an inspiration. 40 years old and still has the strength from when she first started out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Hmm...Didn't Mary's previous album debut with 400k sold with less promotion than 'My Life 2.0.'? ;) Rihanna's biggest US debut so far is less than 210k so she's not the main contender for the No.1 spot and Mary will outsell her with ease :cool: (that's not shade towards Rihanna, just statistics ;)).If Mary J Blige fails to debut at No.1, then she willl probably have been outsold by Nickelback.Micheal Buble is considerable competition too :cool:

True true, the only thing is Rihanna is EVERYWHERE at the moment. She is to say the least 'molesting' the charts with music:eek: (Not shading, I like me some Rihanna) But her songs do really well and I think this will be Rihanna's first #1 But Mary will have competition from Rihanna, Nickelback, Buble and possibly Daughtry. I felt as though Stronger With EachTear ended quite abruptly, I hope Mary churns out this album and gathers a lot of sales :D
    Forum Member
    True true, the only thing is Rihanna is EVERYWHERE at the moment. She is to say the least 'molesting' the charts with music:eek: (Not shading, I like me some Rihanna) But her songs do really well and I think this will be Rihanna's first #1 But Mary will have competition from Rihanna, Nickelback, Buble and possibly Daughtry. I felt as though Stronger With EachTear ended quite abruptly, I hope Mary churns out this album and gathers a lot of sales :D
    Well, she got way more promo (major appearances at talk shows, Saturday Night Live, AMA's) for 'Loud' and she had less competition, but she couldn't sell 210k, so I think there's no way she'll get the No.1 (I doubt she'll even be in the top 3 tbh).Anyway, the official predictions will be out tomorrow afternoon, so I'll just have to wait.

And I agree about 'Stronger with each tear'.It wasn't a proper era and the new album deserves more singles :cool:
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The queen is back to reclaim her crown!..havnt heard the new album yet but heard a few songs from it.
    Sounds more like the Mary J of old, the past 5 years or so her material hasnt been that great imo. but thats probably because she set the bar so high with her previous albums.
    My fave Mary album is her third share my world
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just checked out the samples for the bonus songs on the US edition. There is a song called 'Miss Me Like That' It would make a fantastic single. Keep reigning Mary :p
    Forum Member
    The predictions are in...a bit earlier than I expected.Nickelback are first, Rihanna is second and Mary is...4th...

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/11/rihanna-mary-blige-sales-predictions/#comment-1009802

Unexpected :o
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Checked out the album now..

25/8 is my fave track..midnight drive second
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O.Michel wrote: »
    The predictions are in...a bit earlier than I expected.Nickelback are first, Rihanna is second and Mary is...4th...

http://thatgrapejuice.net/2011/11/rihanna-mary-blige-sales-predictions/#comment-1009802

Unexpected :o

:(Damn my instincts were right. I'm quite surprised that Daughtry are outselling Mary (though in saying that there album is good). A top 3 debut would still be good though. I would love to see Mary unexpectantly pull in more sales this week, I hope she has some pretty good promotion going on.
  • johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary's new album is good.
    But people aren't warming to it here or in the US.
    Feel bad for her.