Options

Present for new baby niece

clevergirl1clevergirl1 Posts: 273
Forum Member
Hello,

My sister is due to give birth in about a months time to a little girl, any ideas of a present I can get the baby that's special ( not tooo expensive )

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The baby won't care what the present is. You are better off getting something for your sister that she will appreciate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I will get my sister something too but have to get something for the baby lol
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most jeweller's shops have a nice range of baby keepsakes - for my nephew I bought a silver box to keep his hospital name tag in, as the two from when mine were born have faded to illegibility in the sun. :)
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Most jeweller's shops have a nice range of baby keepsakes - for my nephew I bought a silver box to keep his hospital name tag in, as the two from when mine were born have faded to illegibility in the sun. :)

My baby tags too - out of three I've only got the hospital bracelets/ cord clamp from my youngest - nearly 27!)

I wish I'd have thought of keeping all their bits & bobs.
    So, I'd love a pressie for all these - a book: box etc I could have recorded things into.
  • Options
    goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deb Arkle wrote: »

That is a wonderful idea
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A baby book???

http://www.mothercare.com/Mothercare-Unisex-New-Baby-Record-Book/540716,default,pd.html

You can get much nicer ones than this if you have a look around
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming lol
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I've bought on several occasions and has always been appreciated is something for the baby to either wear now or grow into. I've bought clothes from places where the parents may not usually shop. I've used the White Company. And a glove puppet suitable for a baby - not their hand but for mum and dad to use to play with their baby. There are some really cute ones here:

http://uk.thepuppetcompany.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=25&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This website has some interesting things. Some are expensive but plenty are not too dear.

http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/gifts/shop-by-recipient/for-babies?page=1
  • Options
    PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice idea is to get something for the wall of the nursery/ baby's room - something that they can keep on the wall for a few years. Babies grow out of clothes very quickly and they always get given lots of toys, but something to go on the wall (a nice painting, photo, collage, etc.) doesn't get in the way and will last for a while!
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a children's book that you and your sister have fond memories of from childhood.
  • Options
    yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got my niece a pink blanket from eBay that was stitched with her full name and date of birth.
    Obviously the present can't be done till you know the name and date but I did mine the same day she was born and the blanket was with me within 7days.
    It cost my just under £10 but the blanket was so soft and the stitching so good.
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about a charm bracelet? You can then add a charm for special occasions and then give it to her on her 16/18/21 birthday?

I really wish I had done this with my daughters :(

For our daughters first birthdays we named a star after them we then put all the bits and bobs in frames in their room. My oldest daughter is now 4 and loves getting the map out with her dad and trying to find her star. My youngest who is two doesn't quite get it but loves playing along.
  • Options
    mrsmoosemrsmoose Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could go to Build a bear and get her a special personalised keepsake bear for her?

We're going to do that when our little one is born.
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a mobile
  • Options
    squirts mumsquirts mum Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't buy anything for my granddaughter when she was born, I made a promise to her mum to buy the little one all her shoes, started when she was about 8 months old, still buying them now at 5, will be doing the same with the next one due at Christmas. Mum is so grateful as these costs are ongoing. Costs me about £30 every 2 or 3 months. Not suggesting you make a commitment like I have but maybe something to say you'll take him/her for her first pair.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The baby won't care what the present is. You are better off getting something for your sister that she will appreciate.
    Bluddy hell!
    Bah, humbug!
    :(
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing I would say is not to buy a cuddly toy as so many people do that, that a child's bedroom is usually overflowing with them and you end up seeing them being sold at car boot sales.

I have often bought a CD (or years ago a record or cassette) of nursery songs and rhymes and the child always seems to love listening to them and learns to sing along with them at quite a young age.
  • Options
    Butterfly8588Butterfly8588 Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hiya,
    I did a cross stitch to mark my niece being born in april last year, personalising it with her name and when she was born. It took me months to do mine but you can get smaller ones. I framed it so it can last forever on her wall.
    Sadly I think its since been shoved in a cupboard which is obviously upsetting but at least I know I did something unique and very thoughful, at least I thought so!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about a silver expanding bangle. The bangle will fit till she's about 4 or 5 and then you can gift her another..... and so it goes on. I have my bangles from being a tiny baby till the one I still wear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    You could get this for a few laughs or Babies first year album, there are lots of more nice ideas here: http://giftshuffle.co.uk/?s=baby
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    a piece of art.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sansa_Snow wrote: »
    What about a children's book that you and your sister have fond memories of from childhood.

And.... you can get a personalised story with child's names inserted throughout.
    http://www.lostmy.name
    http://www.gonedigging.co.uk/unusual...FQQOwwod6YoAag
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I agree with your first sentence but not your second :)

Babies get inundated with things that aren't of any interest to them when they literally don't know they're born, and though a lot of the suggestions on this page are nice, I know my sister was absolutely swamped with baby-memory books, gift boxes and personalised blankets etc - she couldn't fill every single one in...!

She was perfectly happy for me to save my cash for when the baby would at least remember/appreciate what they were given!

I really like the suggestion of a charm bracelet though. When I was a little girl I loved seeing the 'special' jewelery I could wear on special occasions, which would be given over to me when I was 18.