Advice on staying with BT or move to TALK TALK

2»

Comments

• Options
    lonewallerlonewaller Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    *I'm going to get 38mb and its price fixed with TT for 27 quid a month that's inc line rental

That may well be the "product" you've signed up for.

Your actual speed will probably be less - just a question of how much less!!!

Brian
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clewsy wrote: »
    Surly you can get that speed from BT as that is the same line that open reach use. Have you looked at plusnet as tbh talk talk don't get that great of review's - especially when things go wrong.

1Mbit to 38Mbit sounds like they had ADSL from BT but have ordered fibre from talktalk. I'm not even sure Openreach will even let you order fibre if you can only get 1Mbit out of it.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surly you can get that speed from BT as that is the same line that open reach use. Have you looked at plusnet as tbh talk talk don't get that great of review's - especially when things go wrong.

Talk Talk will be cheaper than BT unless BT give out some deal. Plusnet to be honest for me is ok, but I have heard their customer service have gone downhill, saying that when I phoned them to do with my mobile service the CS was ok, not great, but ok.

As long as the talk talk service work, the user should be fine, i know a couple of people who have gone back to Talk Talk after leaving them a few years and it seems to work ok, the so called super router is not so super and the Wi-fi is not that great on it.
    Thankfully you can use your own router.

Plusnet router is a reconfigured BT home hub, not the best to be honest, probably worse than Talk Talk.
  • Options
    clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    1Mbit to 38Mbit sounds like they had ADSL from BT but have ordered fibre from talktalk. I'm not even sure Openreach will even let you order fibre if you can only get 1Mbit out of it.

Yes but you can order the exact same fibre from BT or Plusnet. It's the same cable that Talk Talk use.

If the user has issues moving to Talk Talk isn't going to resolve them. In fact could make it worse with the extra middle man and the fact I've seen many TT customers first hand have frustrating experiences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Talk customer service makes Plusnet seem like Harrods.

Yes there are cheaper, but have a problem and good luck.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but you can order the exact same fibre from BT or Plusnet. It's the same cable that Talk Talk use.

If the user has issues moving to Talk Talk isn't going to resolve them. In fact could make it worse with the extra middle man and the fact I've seen many TT customers first hand have frustrating experiences.

Yes, but if the OP didn't have fibre from BT then moving to TT would effect a speed increase, just as they'd get if they would move to any fibre service from any ISP. Obviously BT can provide it too.

There isn't an extra middle man. TT have the same interface with Openreach as BT themselves do, and there isn't any evidence that BT get better service than any other provider. If anything, you're more likely to get Openreach to fix something by moving to one of the small niche ISPs, who have people who enjoy whipping OR into shape.

In fact, you could argue that there are fewer middle men.

BT Retail > BT Wholesale > Openreach vs TalkTalk > Openreach
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    A long contract, 24 months is a long time if the service is not up to scratch on any provider.

True but the overwhelming majority of customers from any ISP receive good service, so please, try and look on the bright side for once ;-)
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes sadly I was on fibre with BT in the old house.
    the cabinet was full and they couldn't provide me with that service here.
    the line is 6mb (old ADSL) but it doesn't even anywhere near that speed.

only found out after placing the order with TT the cabinet was upgraded for extra space 3 weeks ago so they can provide me with fibre now. Its more stability I need, because the drop outs are just insane. And I'm back raiding in world of Warcraft and once it goes down they automatically find another player to replace you.

never did understand why being back on just ADSL my monthly charge was still 39.99
    ive got 18 month contract with TT and price locked till 2019.

One thing that's surprised me about BT. you get told one thing on the phone think its all sorted then get an email or phone call that totally says the opposite. emailed them tonight to get something In writing I wont be charged.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your having dropouts because of the line, fibre won't solve it. You will have the same issues as it's copper from the box to your home ... Probably where the issue is.

That ADSL price is silly. You should be questionning that one as your right not to want to stay on that deal.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your having dropouts because of the line, fibre won't solve it. You will have the same issues as it's copper from the box to your home ... Probably where the issue is.

That ADSL price is silly. You should be questionning that one as your right not to want to stay on that deal.

thank you for that didn't realise it.
    apparently one of the neighbours is also having problems (with sky)
    so could be an issue, (there is a huge pylon about 400 meters away)
    and noticed from time to time I even get like a crackling coming through on my speaker system
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moox wrote: »

They must live some way from the exchange if they can only get 1Mbit on ADSL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    thank you for that didn't realise it.
    apparently one of the neighbours is also having problems (with sky)
    so could be an issue, (there is a huge pylon about 400 meters away)
    and noticed from time to time I even get like a crackling coming through on my speaker system

That is a line fault and usually caused by copper oxide being formed. You would be better reporting the issue to your ISP who should send out openreach to investigate and we'll fix. Then your BB should improve ...However may need you getting on to BT about your issues and get your neighbours to do the same with sky.
  • Options
    chinchinchinchin Posts: 125,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly I would say read this thread and make up your own mind:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2112653/warning-dont-join-talktalk