Options

NFL Superbowl on UK TV???

Comments

• Options
    BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TVGirl319 wrote: »
    Does anyone on here know what channel the Superbowl is gonna be on next Sunday here this year?? I read somewhere on another thread on here that it is gonna be on Pay Per View this year!! I really hope not!!! Last year it was on Channel Five!!

Please help me!!!!
    Actually, it was on ITV1 last year.
  • Options
    TVGirl319TVGirl319 Posts: 2,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laurence89 wrote: »
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers? Never heard of them - will watch with intrigue.

And by the way it was infact on ITV1 live last year as well as Sky Sports 1.

I hear Mike Carlson will be on the BBC team which is great news.[/QUOTE/]

Tom Petty was a member of The Travelling Willburys combo group in the late 80s, with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and the late Roy Orbison!! Does this jog your memory???
  • Options
    nathan2226nathan2226 Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go and vsit www.tompetty.com to learn all about him!! Hes huge in the USA and was here as well in the late 70s and 80s!!! In fact it was this country who first catapulted him to worldwide fame in the late 70s, when his first album was released!!

Thanks I'll take a look :)

Should be interesting though as the younger population will properly not heard of them, but it should be enjoyable as (apprantly) they do energetic performances lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,011
    Forum Member

Tom Petty was a member of The Travelling Willburys combo group in the late 80s, with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and the late Roy Orbison!! Does this jog your memory???

Not in the slghtest.....

:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 341
    Forum Member

I hear Mike Carlson will be on the BBC team which is great news.[/QUOTE/]

No - I wasn't born till the late eightes!
  • Options
    BringBackThamesBringBackThames Posts: 3,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hear Mike Carlson will be on the BBC team which is great news.[/
    QUOTE/]

Totally agree with you. Mike is ace!:)
    They should also try and get Gary Imlach as well...but maybe I'm hoping for the "Moon on a stick" here?:p
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers!!! I cant wait!! This will give this fantastic muscian HUGE worldwide exposure, like it did with Prince last year!! Thats of course, if the Beeb goes all the way and shows the WHOLE event of course!!!But, knowing them, they wont!!!!!

And to correct some posters it was on Channel Five last year!!!

Was it ?, Blimey that must have been some party I can't remember any of that night !:p:confused::D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So,

BBC = World Feed + NFL commentary
    Sky = FOX Feed + FOX commentary

?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 240
    Forum Member
    The Oracle wrote: »
    So,

BBC = World Feed + NFL commentary
    Sky = FOX Feed + FOX commentary

?

I think I'll watch the Superbowl on the BBC... I subscribe to Sky sports for their regular NFL games but as Mike Carlson will be on the beeb I'd sooner watch him than the drivel Sky will pump out.
  • Options
    Dr.PhloxDr.Phlox Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    404 wrote: »
    I think I'll watch the Superbowl on the BBC... I subscribe to Sky sports for their regular NFL games but as Mike Carlson will be on the beeb I'd sooner watch him than the drivel Sky will pump out.

I'll just download the commercials the next day! The football bit bores me!

But if you have motorized dishes, look on 12.5w, 15w and 22w for feeds - with commercials usually :)

DP
  • Options
    ayrshiremanayrshireman Posts: 9,279
    Forum Member
    Tom Petty:

American rock icon, huge since the 70's, fairly big here for a few years, Rock and Roll Hall of Famer....

Hope that helps,Laurence....lol
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC2 22:50 Super Bowl Live - American Football - Patriots v Giants.
    Live coverage from the University of Phoenix Stadium in Arizona, where the New England Patriots take on the New York Giants. Live on the BBC for the first time, the Patriots will look to underline their status as the best team of their era by winning the Super Bowl for the fourth time in seven years. Presented by Jake Humphrey, Mike Carlson and Rod Woodson. Commentary from Dick Stockton and Sterling Sharpe.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, Live, Subtitles)

There is also.......

The Road to the Superbowl (Sport)

Time - 23:20 to 23:50 (30 minutes long).
    When - Thursday 31st January on BBC 2

Jake Humphrey looks ahead to the Super Bowl XLII, which takes place in Phoenix on Sunday. The game is the culmination of five gruelling months of competition for the two teams, with the prize- a Super Bowl ring- now tantalisingly close. Last year saw the Indianapolis Colts beat the Chicago Bears 29-17 to claim their second title, more than 35 years after the first. Jake is joined by Mike Carlson, who will discuss the key players in Sunday's clash.
    (Stereo, Widescreen, Subtitles)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hear Mike Carlson will be on the BBC team which is great news.
    Great, another reason not to watch it. Can't stand the guy, who I met during the World League days at a Claymores game. Like some americans, full of his own self importance.
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    That's completely against the view most people have of him. The people I've spoken to said he was a nice chap!

Maybe he/you were just having a bad day?

Also, Dick Stockton? Ugh. Spiro Dedes was great when he last did it. Was that last year? I forget now.
  • Options
    georgeshairgeorgeshair Posts: 1,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what time the half time show will be on? I want to see Tom Petty and I don't know anything about American Football. if kick-off is 11:20 UK time, what time would the half time show start?
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    My TV reception is a bit dodgy so I'll see how I go.

Failing that I'll use the radio commentary and the drive charts on nfl.com
  • Options
    chrisdebagchrisdebag Posts: 102,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know what time the half time show will be on? I want to see Tom Petty and I don't know anything about American Football. if kick-off is 11:20 UK time, what time would the half time show start?

around 1 am i guess
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paula Abdul was also meant to be performing her new single but due to nerves a video of the song will be played instead during the Halftime show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Paula Abdul was also meant to be performing her new single but due to nerves a video of the song will be played instead during the Halftime show.

Isn't she in the pre-game section on Fox, being hosted by Ryan Seacrest? Looks like Fox are getting desperate to try to resurrect American Idol.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    404 wrote: »

As far as I know the BBC has never screened any NFL games before so why are they suddenly showing the Superbowl. Or is it some sort of deal with Sky ? And why aren't they using the HD feed on BBC HD:confused:
  • Options
    nathan2226nathan2226 Posts: 3,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They showed the NFL game from London last year, Sky will have the HD feed. And the BBC has the Superbowl because ITV lost the rights to show it (I think)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nathan2226 wrote: »
    They showed the NFL game from London last year, Sky will have the HD feed. And the BBC has the Superbowl because ITV lost the rights to show it (I think)

But isn't this rather like showing the FA Cup Final but none of the games leading up to it ? Are we expecting the BBC to show more NFL games next season:eek:
  • Options
    GeegGeeg Posts: 23,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    baboons wrote: »
    Isn't she in the pre-game section on Fox, being hosted by Ryan Seacrest? Looks like Fox are getting desperate to try to resurrect American Idol.

I think both. She is also, apparently, part of the half time show also.

BBC for me.
  • Options
    Andy RimmerAndy Rimmer Posts: 2,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can't be doing with the american commentary on the BBC TV Coverage you can switch to 5 Live Commentary on the Red Button.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    As far as I know the BBC has never screened any NFL games before so why are they suddenly showing the Superbowl. Or is it some sort of deal with Sky ? And why aren't they using the HD feed on BBC HD:confused:

Think they're trying to get any sort of sport as most of the good ones have now buggered off to other channels/networks. Leaving Snooker, Bowls and (some) Horse Racing on the BBC.