PS3, Blu-ray, HDMI and picture format

I want to buy a PS3 or possibly a Blu-ray player so that I can play my collection of DVDs via HDMI (upscaled) rather than component out as I have to do at the moment with my ageing DVD player which does not have HDMI. The only benefit of component out is that it is possible to format the picture on screen to match the recorded aspect. I think I am right in thinking that HDMI locks the format to 16:9? If so any 4:3 format images will be distorted? - Perhaps I am wrong here?
Is it possible to adjust the picture format from the PS3 or Blu-ray player when it upscales a DVD or do they only put the image out in 16:9 via HDMI regardless of the original recorded format? I know this means black bars or missing top and bottom for 4:3 images but I would rather have that than short, fat distorted people on my screen!

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will do whatever you want it to, my HDMI DVD recorder has all the formats listed in the menu.

Plenty of Zoom options too.
  • dennisspoonerdennisspooner Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caja wrote: »
    I want to buy a PS3 or possibly a Blu-ray player so that I can play my collection of DVDs via HDMI (upscaled) rather than component out as I have to do at the moment with my ageing DVD player which does not have HDMI. The only benefit of component out is that it is possible to format the picture on screen to match the recorded aspect. I think I am right in thinking that HDMI locks the format to 16:9? If so any 4:3 format images will be distorted? - Perhaps I am wrong here?
    Is it possible to adjust the picture format from the PS3 or Blu-ray player when it upscales a DVD or do they only put the image out in 16:9 via HDMI regardless of the original recorded format? I know this means black bars or missing top and bottom for 4:3 images but I would rather have that than short, fat distorted people on my screen!

You are right that 16:9 is the native ratio for HDMI - however in the PS3 settings for upscaling there are 4 options.(not sure about Bluray standalones)

If you select "Normal" the PS3 will upscale your dvd's and also be able to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 without further input from you.(shame Sky HD cant do the same)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys,
    have now bought a PS3. What an amazing bit of kit!
    Shame you can't buy a suitable box to cover the awful shape though :-(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caja wrote: »
    Thanks guys,
    have now bought a PS3. What an amazing bit of kit!
    Shame you can't buy a suitable box to cover the awful shape though :-(

Agreed, I have always thought there could be a niche marktet for a case to hide it in! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulr2006 wrote: »
    Agreed, I have always thought there could be a niche marktet for a case to hide it in! :rolleyes:

Yeah, but you don't want to restrict any airflow to it though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    paulr2006 wrote: »

oh, i don't know, it has a certain charm to it, even if it does look like a george forman grill.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Thats one thing I'll agree 100% on. The PS3 is one seriously ugly piece of kit .... and I hate the on/off switch. I can never tell if it's responding to pressing it like you can with a switch with a physical response to it.