Options

Next year, don't bother buying presents...

stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...just donate half as much as you would have spent on them to charity.

Seriously, I work in a charity shop, and today was ridiculously busy dealing with donations that were clearly unwanted gifts.

Or maybe people who live round here are just ungrateful, I don't know. Either way, if I'd given some of these presents I'd be gutted to see them all back on sale in a charity shop four days later!

Of course, some of it was people doing a post-Christmas clearout- but you can tell the Christmas presents, because they're all brand new and unopened. And half the time the donors TELL you they're unwanted gifts.

I'm not complaining, mind you, it's all good money for the charity...

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But a lot of people buy christmas presents from Charity shops? so by telling people not to buy presents then you're sending away customers.....
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's the thought that counts
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    or save your money and send it all to Francis Maude asking him to make sure it goes to a worthwhile cause (services for vulnerable people) - it will be a little bit like tax! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jude1979 wrote: »
    But a lot of people buy christmas presents from Charity shops? so by telling people not to buy presents then you're sending away customers.....

Fair point, and an interesting conundrum... I bought pretty much all mine there! That said, I'll be the first to spot it if anyo of my mates decide to redonate them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    Đirona wrote: »
    it's the thought that counts

"Well I thought about buying you something, then decided I couldn't be bothered."
  • Options
    KittiaraKittiara Posts: 2,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love all my Christmas pressies! And yes, some of them I know were probably bought either on the market or in charity shops, because some are second hand books. I don't mind that, I often buy second hand books as well :).

A special thanks goes to whoever donated season 1 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, unopened, to charity, because I received it as a gift and was definitely pleased.

So, unfortunately for charity, I won't be donating any of my Christmas gifts, but I am thankful to those people who donated beforehand, because I received some awesome items from the lady who frequents the shops.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least those gifts are being donated to a cause, which I think is better than being sold off or thrown in the bin.
  • Options
    TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the year after that don't buy any at all... ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least those gifts are being donated to a cause, which I think is better than being sold off or thrown in the bin.

Oh, of course. As I say, I'm not complaining at all- we LOVE getting awesome stuff donated. Always better to have the proceeds going to charity than just chucking the stuff away. Maybe it's not even people being ungrateful- maybe people round here are just rubbish at choosing good presents!

People could come to an agreement, though- "I was thinking of buying you X..." "Ah, no, that would be rubbish. I'd just hand it in at the charity shop. How about you just give them half as much as X costs anyway, cut out the middle man?"

I am, of course, not entirely serious. Just an observation I made today while completely snowed in under the weight of other people's unwanted presents!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But I want stuff, even if it's useless. If someone told me that they had bought a goat in my name to give to an African village, I would demand that they get on a plane and bring it to me.
    I WANT MY GOAT!

I'll get me goat then.
  • Options
    clairescavysclairescavys Posts: 239
    Forum Member
    He he, all good for me, as I will be checking out the local charity shops tomorrow for possible Christmas presents for next year (our financial situation isn't great and there is the likelihood I will be made redundant soon), so any helps! This may seem a bit "Scrooge" to some people, but you can get really lovely, intract, well-presented (i.e. not tatty) presents from charity shops. I also like the fact that any money I spend is going to a good cause.

I've also been checking out Ebay - the amount of unopened presents on there is unbelieavble! (I know this is spelt wrong, but I couldn't find the spellcheck on the screen when writing this). So far, I have found some lovely items at good prices on Ebay - already have purchased 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    But I want stuff, even if it's useless. If someone told me that they had bought a goat in my name to give to an African village, I would demand that they get on a plane and bring it to me.
    I WANT MY GOAT!

I should warn you now, we don't accept goats, so if you bring it into our shop, you're gonna have a long walk to the City Farm.

Mind you, I'd love a goat. We had one as a pet when I was a kid. They're vicious and unpredictable little buggers, but they're wicked cute. If only I had a garden...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've also been checking out Ebay - the amount of unopened presents on there is unbelieavble! (I know this is spelt wrong, but I couldn't find the spellcheck on the screen when writing this). So far, I have found some lovely items at good prices on Ebay - already have purchased 2.
    I was going to have a look on there to see if there was any WOW Cataclysm unwanted gifts being sold off. Might be a bit dodgy though, as it needs to have the serial number intact.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He he, all good for me, as I will be checking out the local charity shops tomorrow for possible Christmas presents for next year (our financial situation isn't great and there is the likelihood I will be made redundant soon), so any helps! This may seem a bit "Scrooge" to some people, but you can get really lovely, intract, well-presented (i.e. not tatty) presents from charity shops. I also like the fact that any money I spend is going to a good cause.

Not Scroogey at all. People who are earning TONS have bought me stuff from charity shops before, and the presents have been great! I don't really care where it comes from, or how much it cost... it may be a cliche, but it's the thought that went into choosing it that counts. Or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Oh, of course. As I say, I'm not complaining at all- we LOVE getting awesome stuff donated. Always better to have the proceeds going to charity than just chucking the stuff away. Maybe it's not even people being ungrateful- maybe people round here are just rubbish at choosing good presents!

People could come to an agreement, though- "I was thinking of buying you X..." "Ah, no, that would be rubbish. I'd just hand it in at the charity shop. How about you just give them half as much as X costs anyway, cut out the middle man?"

I am, of course, not entirely serious. Just an observation I made today while completely snowed in under the weight of other people's unwanted presents!

I suppose some people feel a bit cheeky telling others what to buy them. It just seems a shame to be stuck with a gift that isn't ever going to be used. Luckily, I wanted all mine. :D
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...just donate half as much as you would have spent on them to charity.

Seriously, I work in a charity shop, and today was ridiculously busy dealing with donations that were clearly unwanted gifts.

Or maybe people who live round here are just ungrateful, I don't know. Either way, if I'd given some of these presents I'd be gutted to see them all back on sale in a charity shop four days later!

Of course, some of it was people doing a post-Christmas clearout- but you can tell the Christmas presents, because they're all brand new and unopened. And half the time the donors TELL you they're unwanted gifts.

I'm not complaining, mind you, it's all good money for the charity...

I buy a number of gifts from Oxfam Unwrapped - so I know my present finds it way to a good cause.
  • Options
    rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    The last two years this is what we've asked family and friends to do, the message is getting through, however still get bought crap.

Sounds horrid, but we don't need anything. We raised about £250 for a lung charity this xmas by asking family to make a donation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose some people feel a bit cheeky telling others what to buy them. It just seems a shame to be stuck with a gift that isn't ever going to be used. Luckily, I wanted all mine. :D

Yeah, mine were all cool too!
    The last two years this is what we've asked family and friends to do, the message is getting through, however still get bought crap.

Sounds horrid, but we don't need anything. We raised about £250 for a lung charity this xmas by asking family to make a donation.

Oh, I'd be a hypocrite if I'd meant it seriously- but (serious hat on) that IS a great thing to do; well done! I just wish I was selfless enough not to be excited about presents. I like getting stuff.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was going to have a look on there to see if there was any WOW Cataclysm unwanted gifts being sold off. Might be a bit dodgy though, as it needs to have the serial number intact.

Unfortunately I think we're all too busy playing it :o:D
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Just out of interest (and I am nosey) :o what exactly is being donated? Is it mostly clothes?
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do my best to buy people stuff that I know they'll really love, I can't deny I'd be a bit hurt if the gifts I bought were just given away but you know if it's going to charity I'll get over myself.

Some people just buy gifts for the sake of it, my sis in law sends us socks every single year, the socks she sends me are too small, she sends white sports socks to my husband which in all the years I've known him, he's never worn white socks ever and this year she sent my 8yr old son Thomas the tank socks meant to fit a toddler. No thought goes into buying these socks and if I had the guts I'd tell her to save herself the bother of buying all these unwanted socks and donate some cash to charity as that's where the socks always end up anyway.

I bought one of the Twilight hardback books in my local chariy shop as a gift for my daughter, she was well chuffed and had no idea it was second hand as it looked as good as new. Saved myself a few bob too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We stopped most of them about 3 or 4 years ago and I have always made a donation to charity so now it's more. What the would be recipients do, I haven't a clue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just out of interest (and I am nosey) :o what exactly is being donated? Is it mostly clothes?

Clothes (a LOT of jumpers), books, DVDs, kitchenware and "novelty presents". You know, the kind of stuff that you KNOW your mates will piss themselves laughing at but will never take out of the box. Pants for squirrels, that kind of thing. Oh, and decorative stuff- ornaments, vases and the like.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love buying and receiving presents, some people are just ungrateful!
    Even if a present isn't exactly what I was hoping for I try to use it/wear it etc.

I donate my old things to charity and I sponsor a child (and a meerkat too now thanks to my sister, lol!), as well as working for a charity so I do my bit too:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I love buying and receiving presents, some people are just ungrateful!
    Even if a present isn't exactly what I was hoping for I try to use it/wear it etc.

I donate my old things to charity and I sponsor a child (and a meerkat too now thanks to my sister, lol!), as well as working for a charity so I do my bit too:)

I like you.