Options

Why are Elm Street films not shown on TV anymore?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev wrote: »
    How lonely it must be in that minority ;)

Does Ressurection refer to 4,5 or 6?
    May not be self referential in terms of other horror films but are you trying to say setting the film within an online reality gameshow isn't pandering to the self referential pop culture society of the day?

You don't really have the best argument to compare the shortcomings of either film.

rybev, do you not think you become too defensive and hostile when someone criticises a movie you like?
    You're high, and you must hate Scream as well. So that, and your hate of H20 is a double whammy of insanity.

You serious?
    cm1992 wrote: »
    I liked H20.

It's ok (ish) It's watchable. The end is quite good. But it doesn't really get going until the end. It's just a bit dull and tame. It's too pretentious, aimed more at the mainstream market, rather than the hardcore horror fan. It ignores the previous sequels and I liked the story ark built up through parts 4, 5 and 6. And as was the fashion at the time, it re-enacts scenes from the original film, my reaction to which is 'so what'. As if lifting scenes from the original film is somehow 'intelligent' or 'worthy'.:rolleyes:

I'm a massive Halloween fan. The original is perfect from start to finish. I like all the sequels. H20 and resurrection are my least favourite of the sequels.
  • Options
    TheMagic8ballTheMagic8ball Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You serious?

No, of course I'm not. But still, I'm astounded that you'd prefer Resurrection to H20
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rybev, do you not think you become too defensive and hostile when someone criticises a movie you like.

To defend something you like is a natural reaction.
    There's no hostility in my original statement to you at all.

Why not defend your original statement rather than make the discussion about "me"? Is that because you can't and your theory about Resurrection vs H20 in self referential stakes is nonsense? And maybe you can't give an example of Resurrection mentioning H4,5&6 even though that's one of your negative opinions towards H20 - that it ignores those 3 films.

And by the way, you will notice in my original post there is use of a winking face ;)
    Usually a way of saying "no offence, just playing" - don't see one in your post.
    So now who's being hostile? ;)
  • Options
    ChuckyBlackhartChuckyBlackhart Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How lonely it must be in that minority ;)

Does Ressurection refer to 4,5 or 6? May not be self referential in terms of other horror films but are you trying to say setting the film within an online reality gameshow isn't pandering to the self referential pop culture society of the day?

You don't really have the best argument to compare the shortcomings of either film.

I didn't know what you meant, the way you worded it there.
    To defend something you like is a natural reaction.
    There's no hostility in my original statement to you at all.

Why not defend your original statement rather than make the discussion about "me"? Is that because you can't and your theory about Resurrection vs H20 in self referential stakes is nonsense? And maybe you can't give an example of Resurrection mentioning H4,5&6 even though that's one of your negative opinions towards H20 - that it ignores those 3 films.

And by the way, you will notice in my original post there is use of a winking face ;)
    Usually a way of saying "no offence, just playing" - don't see one in your post.
    So now who's being hostile? ;)

Now I know what you mean. And to address that point, Resurrection didn't follow on from part 6 because H20 changed the direction of the story.

Saying "you don't have the best argument" was making the disscusson about 'me'. As was calling my opinion "nonsense".

I don't want an argument, rybev, but there's no need to talk down to people when you disagree.;)
  • Options
    rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not talking down to you at all.
    Merely trying to point out that your argument/points about H20 vs Resurrection were not great.

You have addressed the fact Resurrection didn't reference 4,5 % 6 but you haven't mentioned how it is just as self-referential as H20 albeit on different subjects eg celebrity, reality tv etc.

My original point was that everything you said about H20 and why you hated it can be easily applied to Resurrection.

That's where your argument falls down - not where you fall down, your argument. So I haven't made it about you, I've made it about your argument (your point if that's a better word to use)

;)
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frailfury wrote: »
    Well Nightmare 1 used to be shown on C4, and none of the others apart from New Nightmare and Freddy vs Jason have ever been screened in the UK on TV.

The remake is regularly shown on UK TV (Sky Movies SciFi/Horror) and has been for the last six months. Which is a pity, cos its crap. All the other Nightmare movies have also been shown on the movie channels in the past.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Halloween Resurrection yesterday and it's just as awful as I remembered. Thinly-drawn characters (I can't remember a single name) wandering around in the dark for an hour. And a bunch of people idly watching on the internet and, for no good reason, picking up the phone to call the police.

And then Busta Rhymes beats up Michael.

I mean, good grief. Halloween 2 (2009) and Curse are offensively bad but at least they're memorable, this is so bland I'd forgotten all about it five minutes after it finished.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    I believe that all of the Nightmare on Elm Street films have been shown on UK TV in some form or another apart from 4 and 5 although I have only ever seen the first one. I agree that they should be shown more often though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first half hour of New Nightmare on TV about a year ago. IIRC, it's the only Elm Street movie I've seen on TV.