EE: just had to switch off

Comments

• summerbunnysummerbunny Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this might be jessie wallace's leaving storyline,, because there will be no future for 'kat and Alfie anymore, so what will happen to the Queen Vic, will he shack up with Roxy?
    They are hell bent on trying to ruin Kat, do they really think this is what we want to see?
    how can the show be so out of touch with it's viewer's?
    Jessie Wallace deserves so much better than this nasty and cheap story-line.

I was in the super market tonight and so on the cover of inside soap ,
    Kat's man is
    Derek???

:(
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how can they gave us such good episodes with the janine and michael stuff one week and turn out crap the next?

Because they were written by different writers and they don't have any ideas for good alternative s/l's for Kat?
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soapnut wrote: »
    Do you not get tired of repeating yourself Dan?! Come on, last night's episode was truly awful there's no denying it. In the daily episode thread, from 19 pages, there are positive comments from yourself and only one other poster, i forget the name, the rest are negative. I see a pattern with Lauren Klee-penned episodes also, they are dreadful, as were her Hollyoaks efforts, she should definitely be struck off the writing team for producing THAT. I didn't note who directed the episode, but they should also hang their head in shame, EE hit a new low.

Lauren Klee has never written for Hollyoaks. She's from the BBC Writers Academy and has penned episodes for EastEnders, Holby City, Doctors and Casualty.
  • kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,249
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    I was too young to follow news and current affairs back then, but I thought the general storylines where brilliant back then. Clyde Travernier and his boxing storylines and the Mitchells getting involved trying to get him to throw a fight that could have led him to the big time was brilliant and what was even better was the aftermath of Eddie Royal getting murdered and Clyde going on the run once he was prime suspect.

There was definately a lull 88-89 time as they lost a lot of popular original cast members after their initial 3 or 4 year contracts (Angie, Lofty, Lou, Den, Mary, Sue) and it did take a while to settle down and find it's feet again - probably the introduction of the Mitchel brothers in February 90 marked the upturn. There were however good storylines in that time but it was not as consistently good as the first few years and some characters like Trevor were really tiresome.
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Michelle helping Clyde on the run was brilliant. She even tried to find Mark back then as well which was good. Other really good storylines where Ricky and Sam running away to Gretna Green to get married with both Frank and Pat and The Mitchell Brothers hot on their tail chasing them! I lloved those storylines and times!

Those storylines were all a bil later, 1990 - 1991 sort of time when it had begun to improve a lot.

Really, 88-89, the good stuff that springs to mind is Kathy's rape and the Dagmar fire, Donna turning up, Cindy / Wicksy / Ian / Sharon quadrangle (actually even more than that as Donna was involved with Wicksy and flirting with Ian too for a time), Sue's breakdown. Actually I suppose that's quite a lot really but it felt very disjointed at the time - probably due to the high number of departures and new familys like the Butchers and the Asian family whose daughter Ricky dated for a while (can't remember their name - sorry) took a while to bed in.
  • VirginiaDemVirginiaDem Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gage this by Facebook. On Eastenders' page, they are quick to put up a teaser for the upcoming episode on the day it airs, as well as a status to encourage discussion after the episode is aired. Apart from reminding viewers that there would be an extra Wednesday episode, there was nothing else alluding to this. Speaks volumes.

I wonder if Lorraine Newman and co know this is a rank and rancid loser. Because it is.
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Completely pathetic storyline. Seems Eastenders are grabbing at straws to try and get the ratings.

It worked back in the 80s - Father of Michelle's baby and then Who shot Phil but who is Kat having an affair with - get real.
    I don't even watch this show now. I think it has run its time.
    Get rid
  • steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    You wish it's just NOT going to happen. 5million of the loyals tune in no matter where it is. BBC2,9:00pm against Emmerdale,BGT,Euro2012
    Everytime EastEnders has been moved to BBC2 for A BIG wimbledon match it's picked up at least 5 million. Even during the England Match Build up in the Euros EastEnders managed 6million and also won it's slot.

Mark my words it will NOT fall below 4.5m during the Olympics im very,very sure of this. Even Emmerdale managed 3.5m against England that had almost 15million viewers tuning in at the same time.

BBC3 at 10 will also see a rise which always happens when people don't catch up at 7:30/8 even last night BBC3 figure rose to 1.1m due to the clash with Emmerdale

EDIT-May i just add that the Gap between Corrie and EastEnders closed during the month of June and also EastEnders was the ONLY soap of the big 3 to gain viewers
    so they must be doing something right and there's not sign of people turning off either.

I guess time will tell but if EastEnders falls below 4.5m i'll watch Corrie for a whole month and even review the episodes in their threads:D

Five million is pretty poor even in the age of the multichannel, frankly the BBC must be angered that the production team are capable of only producing mediocre sleazy plots.

The Olympics will drastically reduce viewing figures even more, if the BBC wanted to promote the show and keep it at the forefront of the viewers mind then they could easily find space in the BBC ONE schedule and partner it will the Olympics coverage, dumping it on TWO means the scheduler has conceded defeat in the ongoing battle for viewers.

This current storyline is Newmans fault as much it is Kirkwoods, I risk a ban by saying this but you have to have a dirty disgusting mind to put this idea to paper never mind to air.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    Five million is pretty poor even in the age of the multichannel, frankly the BBC must be angered that the production team are capable of only producing mediocre sleazy plots.

The Olympics will drastically reduce viewing figures even more, if the BBC wanted to promote the show and keep it at the forefront of the viewers mind then they could easily find space in the BBC ONE schedule and partner it will the Olympics coverage, dumping it on TWO means the scheduler has conceded defeat in the ongoing battle for viewers.

BBC Three may get a sudden upturn during the olympics coverage but that's it. They dumped the institutional Sunday omnibus into a friday night graveyard slot too remember. The olympics will thrash it hands down.
  • blue_angelblue_angel Posts: 3,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This current storyline is Newmans fault as much it is Kirkwoods, I risk a ban by saying this but you have to have a dirty disgusting mind to put this idea to paper never mind to air.

I think the idea of putting EE during BBC2 during the Olympics will be because it's 2 weeks of constant sport every night. With the Euro's they weren't on every night on BBC and Wimbledon rarely interfers with EE timeslot so the best thing to get a maximim audience in that situation was to juggle the timeslots around a little. Even if in a different slot or day EE still gets 5/6 million core audience, which actually is respectable for a standard episode of a show that's on 200 times a year.

With the Olympics it's all on BBC and will dominate the evening coverage. There is no room for EE or anything. Although they won't get a maximim audience for it on BBC2, at least it'll be in a constant place and people will know where it'll be for that period of time. The Olympics will get great numbers, especially considering it's in this country and be dominate BBC broadcasting for those couple of weeks.

The BBC receive their own internal audience appreciation feedback numbers, so I'm sure if they come back negative then this will be relayed to EE.
    Forum Member
    KieranDS wrote: »
    Lauren Klee has never written for Hollyoaks. She's from the BBC Writers Academy and has penned episodes for EastEnders, Holby City, Doctors and Casualty.

I saw the piss poor Holby stuff, her writing is beyond a joke, thankfully she will never get near Holby/Casualty again.

Her talent would be better put to use working drive-thru at McDonalds because is has no talent or natural aptitude for writing, is she part of some minority quota hence her employment at the BBC.
  • soapnutsoapnut Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member
    I saw the piss poor Holby stuff, her writing is beyond a joke, thankfully she will never get near Holby/Casualty again.

Her talent would be better put to use working drive-thru at McDonalds because is has no talent or natural aptitude for writing, is she part of some minority quota hence her employment at the BBC.

Yes, my mistake, I meant Holby City. She's a graduate of the BBC Writers Academy Steven, says it all really.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member

Not at all. Most Multi Channels get programes under a million still. Ask yourself why the BBC always move Wimbledon to BBC1 when Murray plays.

Simple fact is to maximise viewers. On BBC2 rarely do they get a programe at 5million let alone more. As soon as Wimbledon is on BBC1 it's figures rise to 7million+

There is NO Space in the BBC ONE schedule for anyother shows let alone EastEnders. The only thing other than the Olympics airing on BBC1 is the News Thats it.

On BBC2 they will have their normal schedule and some selected BBC1 shows (EastEnders,Holby to name but a few)

EDIT-Talking of Multichannels the Biggest ever figure is for EastEnders Live The Aftermath which pulled in over 4million so NO other programe has come close so it goes to show the whole 'Multichannel age' is rubbish
    Forum Member
    Yes, my mistake, I meant Holby City. She's a graduate of the BBC Writers Academy Steven, says it all really.

BBC writers academy is certainly throwing up dire rubbish masquerading as writing talent,
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    I found it akward viewing, I felt so sorry for Alfie watching last nights episode, Kat berated Roxy and hushed her off and now shes cheating on him for the 45th time, least Roxy showed some compassion to Alfie, she really didn't need to give him all that money to help him out of debt but she did because she genuinely loves him unlike Kat "My middle name is STI" Moon.

I'd love to see Alfie chuck Kat out on the street with her trashy tart clothes, and move Roxy in and be happy with her. I also think Tommy would be better of with Alfie or even Micheal (I think he does care, Its just curveballs in life have made him the way he is).

But seriously, a "Whodunnit" for a Affair storyline, is pathetic and its like they had an idea each on a bunch of straws to get ratings and they chose the short straw with the lamest idea..Its uncomfortable to watch and vouyeristic aswell, all those shots of Max for example staring at her backside, the tops pushed up so much it makes her boobs look like melons, just ridiculous and putrid to watch.

oh and I wanted to smash my head against a wall when the goons where chanting "WE LOVE KAT MOON WE DO", Really? I sure as hell don't.

It was Jay and Lola who held that episode together for me last night, without them I would've switched over.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    blue_angel wrote: »
    I think the idea of putting EE during BBC2 during the Olympics will be because it's 2 weeks of constant sport every night. With the Euro's they weren't on every night on BBC and Wimbledon rarely interfers with EE timeslot so the best thing to get a maximim audience in that situation was to juggle the timeslots around a little. Even if in a different slot or day EE still gets 5/6 million core audience, which actually is respectable for a standard episode of a show that's on 200 times a year.

With the Olympics it's all on BBC and will dominate the evening coverage. There is no room for EE or anything. Although they won't get a maximim audience for it on BBC2, at least it'll be in a constant place and people will know where it'll be for that period of time. The Olympics will get great numbers, especially considering it's in this country and be dominate BBC broadcasting for those couple of weeks.

The BBC receive their own internal audience appreciation feedback numbers, so I'm sure if they come back negative then this will be relayed to EE.
    Yep. BBC1 is going to be a news/Sports channel for the 2 weeks and theres going to be no other programes shown.

Casualty,Doctors and a host of other programes are dropped for 2 weeks.Only EastEnders & Holby will remain (Dramas) everything else is Factual or whats normally on BBC2
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She probably will write for Holby again. The 'graduates' from the Academy rotate around EastEnders, Doctors, Casualty and Holby.

And I agree. Her writing is terrible. Whenever I see her name on the credits I know were in for a bad episode.
    Forum Member
    She probably will write for Holby again. The 'graduates' from the Academy rotate around EastEnders, Doctors, Casualty and Holby.

And I agree. Her writing is terrible. Whenever I see her name on the credits I know were in for a bad episode.

Every time I see her name in the credits a little part of my soul does a silent scream of death, :D
  • monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,943
    Forum Member

shes wrote some really good episodes imo
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shes wrote some really good episodes imo

She probably has. Maybe I'm being too harsh. It might just be a case of her being lumbered with the crap episodes to write which gives off the impression she isn't a good writer.
    Forum Member
    She probably has. Maybe I'm being too harsh. It might just be a case of her being lumbered with the crap episodes to write which gives off the impression she isn't a good writer.

i like the way she writes its good storytelling but i think you have to change the way you write to adapt certain episodes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like the way she writes its good storytelling but i think you have to change the way you write to adapt certain episodes

What good episodes has she written? I'll youtube them to refresh my memory.
  • VirginiaDemVirginiaDem Posts: 1,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RuthStar wrote: »
    I found it akward viewing, I felt so sorry for Alfie watching last nights episode, Kat berated Roxy and hushed her off and now shes cheating on him for the 45th time, least Roxy showed some compassion to Alfie, she really didn't need to give him all that money to help him out of debt but she did because she genuinely loves him unlike Kat "My middle name is STI" Moon.

I'd love to see Alfie chuck Kat out on the street with her trashy tart clothes, and move Roxy in and be happy with her. I also think Tommy would be better of with Alfie or even Micheal (I think he does care, Its just curveballs in life have made him the way he is).

But seriously, a "Whodunnit" for a Affair storyline, is pathetic and its like they had an idea each on a bunch of straws to get ratings and they chose the short straw with the lamest idea..Its uncomfortable to watch and vouyeristic aswell, all those shots of Max for example staring at her backside, the tops pushed up so much it makes her boobs look like melons, just ridiculous and putrid to watch.

oh and I wanted to smash my head against a wall when the goons where chanting "WE LOVE KAT MOON WE DO", Really? I sure as hell don't.

It was Jay and Lola who held that episode together for me last night, without them I would've switched over.

The writers are so tied up in knots they don't know what to do with this storyline. DS are running a poll to see if the Moons should split. Give me strength. Split them up, put Alfie with Roxy in the pub and AXE Kat's character. Or I suppose she could be the resident prostitute, touting on the street. I agree with another poster - she should lose everything and end up alone.
    Forum Member
    BBC Three may get a sudden upturn during the olympics coverage but that's it. They dumped the institutional Sunday omnibus into a friday night graveyard slot too remember. The olympics will thrash it hands down.

They may not have done it deliberately to try and kill it off, but I think that moving the omnibus to the early hours of Saturday morning is going to do a lot of damage, especially this summer when it is being shown on different channels, nights, times etc. Whenever I missed an episode during the week, I would always catch up on Sunday afternoon, it was an easy thing to have on whilst catching up on house work, preaparing Sunday dinner etc. Now, even though I'm a bit of a night owl, I am absolutely knackered on Friday after being at work all week and often conk out 10.30 - 11.00ish. I forget it's going to be on, don't set the video and as with a lot more people than they seem to realise, I don't have Sky+ and my broadband speed at home is akin to a sloth in quicksand so can't use I-Player - so, if I miss the weekday showing on BBC1, it's missed, for good, for ever. You don't actually need that to happen that often to decide it's not worth bothering any more, especially when the quality is variable to say the least. It happened to me with Brookside in it's last 2 years after having watched from day 1 and I think there is a real danger of it happening with EE. I'm not saying it's ratings will dip down to below 5 million, indeed it may even gain some viewers from people that are sick of constant sport, but there is a danger of losing viewers and not getting them back on its return to BBC1 and the end of the summer of sport when hopefully the quality upturns.

Which episodes of HC did Lauren Klee write just out of interest as I've watched that from day 1 too. I can always check on IMDB if no-one happens to know off the top of their heads - don't want to cause any work for anyone.
    Forum Member
    What good episodes has she written? I'll youtube them to refresh my memory.

Ronnie & Jacks wedding, phil & shirleys wedding (IMO), the episode when jim left last year

sorry theres too many to list lol thats all i can find atm without searching for more