DWTS: Season 18 General Discussion

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,123
    Forum Member
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Val yes apart from week 1 foxtrot :confused: as for Maks he did a great tango but otherwise this season he hasn't been great he hasn't challenged Meryl as he keeps using her lyrical movement instead of proper technique see foxtrot again. I think Mark & probably Cheryl should be included for this season and as for Derek he can only choreograph what Amy can do.

My biggest disappointment for me has been Tony he was never the best choreographer but he at least stuck to the principle that he was a ballroom dancer teaching ballroom whereas this year we got a lyrical rumba, a foxtrot with no / little hold and a salsa which was all style no substance.

Really miss Tristan tbh

Agree about James (his footwork was awful) and Nene.

As for Craig think that is a great idea want to see the pros & celebs reaction and the forums/twitter explode :D

I was mostly commenting on this week, when I said Val and Maks had the most dance content, then in fairness, it did depend on the dances the pros were given. Think those two made the most of it this week. What I was also implying, if they stood out for me, others didn't. That's not a wholly positive thing because I would have hoped other pros would have done a better job, not many of the dances were memorable for me. Maks did well to choreograph to Calvin Harris, it was one of his better efforts.

Derek has worked really hard to do the best for Amy, she has achieved a lot, I'm amazed when I see her balancing on her prosthetic tip toes. In some ways I preferred her and Mark as partners, I felt he suited her better. Sometimes I think Derek choreographs to Amy's ability, other times I think it is mixed in with fitting in with the style of the show.

Yes sadly no sighting of Tristan,>:( he would have definitely brightened up the season.

I can just picture the fall out if CRH was judging, he would certainly cause uproar.:D

News on twitter Danica has broken a rib.

https://twitter.com/DWTSGossip/status/459747301930438656/photo/1/large
  • fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I meant that people had forgot Mel i am sick of all this best partner / only one that can keep up with you (where is the rolling eyes when you need them) makes me want to scream and its insulting to Mel and to a lesser extend Erin who also did a good job keeping up with Maks
    Sorry - I misunderstood. Yes it is pretty insulting to his other partners. I didn't watch her season, but wasn't Brandi also very good?
    Ooh. Not good.:(
  • Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope Danica is fine. She is becoming my fave. Charlie is slightly going Under the Radar for me.

Also agree with what someone else said about James. He takes himself too seriously and I am struggling to support him as much as the others.
  • kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Sorry - I misunderstood. Yes it is pretty insulting to his other partners. I didn't watch her season, but wasn't Brandi also very good?

Ooh. Not good.:(

Don't apologise I re-read the comment and I knew what I was trying to say and took the same meaning from it that you did :blush::D

Brandi was very good at dancing but I never warmed to her or her partnership with Maks some of her dances I liked others I didn't but I never rooted for them thought she had potential to be better than she was.

Hope Danica is ok she is definitely one of my favs love her partnership with Val have to admit though that Val is one of my favs too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy & Derek on Ellen

Amy & Derek dancing jive on Ellen

Amy & Derek are dancing 1st tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not happy with the show this week. Sorry but Amy is ruining it. I thought she would not get preferential treatment on the show?? How was it fair on the group dances. I want her gone next. 36 points and then an additional 39!!! Give me a break.

Nene was terrible and deserved to go.

Supporting Danica and Charlie most. Think James is probably struggling in the vote. I have never heard of him TBH and the cute guy vote will only get him so far.
  • karina_karina_ Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Not happy with the show this week. Sorry but Amy is ruining it. I thought she would not get preferential treatment on the show?? How was it fair on the group dances. I want her gone next. 36 points and then an additional 39!!! Give me a break.

Supporting Danica and Charlie most. Think James is probably struggling in the vote. I have never heard of him TBH and the cute guy vote will only get him so far.

Hi, I agree about Amy. No doubt she has achieved a lot on the show, but it's becoming more difficult for her now, specially on the back of the Olympics. Its not fun watching her discomfort. The right person left tonight. I would think James is polling more votes than Charlie.His band has a huge following in South America, although saying that Cody has 6million followers on twitter and that didn't help.
    Not sure why Peta was in lingerie :o how is her partner supposed to concentrate on the dance ??
    Didn't think it was fair Meryl and Maks getting the pros backing them for the entire dance. I do like Maks but its about Meryl not you....
    I would be happy to see any of Candace, Amy, Danica go next as I like the 2 boys and would prefer them to go further.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also found it classless of Nene not to mention Tony during her goodbye speech
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also found it classless of Nene not to mention Tony during her goodbye speech

Maybe she realised later on. Looking back there were some horrible costumes, Meryls salsa and Danica's 'ghetto' look. I do think Peta made a mistake with hers it was way OTT.
    What happened at the end of Charlies dance? he looked concerned but I couldn't see anything obvious
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    karina_ wrote: »
    Maybe she realised later on. Looking back there were some horrible costumes, Meryls salsa and Danica's 'ghetto' look. I do think Peta made a mistake with hers it was way OTT.
    What happened at the end of Charlies dance? he looked concerned but I couldn't see anything obvious

The costumers where awful. The worst was Peta's. It was tacky. I think it will just alienate the home viewers. The Samba is meant to be sexy but not come and wear your underwear dance!! I think it went over the line.

Candace looked the best this week I thought or maybe Amy. For Charlie he messed up near a turn I think / near the end. Bruno mentions it.

I get that Nene might have been caught up in the moment but it should be rule No.1 to always thank your partner on the night you get eliminated. Either way, her speech came across very "me, me, me".

Another thing. What was all that about Amy's BF on the VT. I felt sorry for him / her airing her dirty laundry to America and the world. Saying she finds it hard to satisfy him, etc :blush::blush::blush: TMI. Then they pan to him in the audience cheering her on. I just think Amy is being over scored and getting better treatment to try and make the show "fair" where its actually making it unfair on the other contestants. Plus, I just think her whole Edit in the VT's is emotional blackmail each week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Team dances are never fair but everyone was score out of 80. To be fair to Amy it isn't the first time that rehearsal footage was used for a group dance & she was rushed to hospital. The only time i saw the preferential treatment was her waltz which has little content & 2 lifts and still got high scores with Carrie Anne -lift queen - saying she wasn't going to penalise for lifts :confused: didn't like Amy's vt this week I didn't know she had a boyfriend so really don't want to know what trouble they are having due to her work commitment. I liked their rumba but wanted more content.

Nene deserved to go and think Charlie & James are in trouble. Charlie can't adapt to different styles he is still soft and fluid even in a paso and as for James and Peta and that outfit! That the kind of outfit who wear when you think your partner isn't good enough show no trust in James ability and was tacky to say the least. If James and Peta want to dance in their underwear they can do it on their own time I don't want to see it on what is supposed to be a family show.

Danica did great especially with an injury and maybe it is just me but I thought Danica was better than Meryl in her hip action but Meryl's upper half was better. Thought both could do better tbh.

Candice is still hit or miss but was one of the best on a bad night.

Nene's Argentine tango was awful.

Team Loca deserve to win even on the dress run didnt agree with Len that it helped as they had no pressure because performing live you would feed off the audience and some excel under that pressure. Team Vida was let down by Nene the 2 guys did well. Team vida didn't really have a chance tbh
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TBF if Peta had just worn maybe a red version of her salsa costume, it would have put a different slant on the dance, which I thought was ok overall. We just don't need all the coy dating references. That's their business.
    Charlie looks to be struggling with the show now on top of his and Meryls tour, I thought he looked a little 'detached' from proceedings last night. Maybe they should have left the show til next year. Hope he doesn't burn out.
    I'd like to see all the couples do a traditional ballroom next. Both costume and music wise, but it's not going to happen is it.

Have to say, Carrie Ann saying Meryl keeps surprising her is annoying me. She has a gold medal for dancing on ice so why is she surprised? She needs to go watch her performances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they had shown the live version of team Loca's dance.

Just hear the judges comments/ scores didn't watch them earlier and i understand what people were saying about Amy, I really dislike Carrie Ann's (don't think i spelt her name right there but anyways ...) favouritism of Amy saying when & if you win is out of order especially when this season is so close. Her rumba was good though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amy is dancing against James next week

I take it Meryl is against Charlie is they are still touring and therefore Danica is against Candice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amy is dancing against James next week

I take it Meryl is against Charlie is they are still touring and therefore Danica is against Candice.

Meryl is dancing against / with Danica, and Candace against / with Charlie. They picked names out of a hat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meryl is dancing against / with Danica, and Candace against / with Charlie. They picked names out of a hat.

Any ideas how it going to work then with Meryl & Charlie travelling? Seems a bit unfair that Amy & James are the only ones in the same place at same time. Saying that with Amy's rib they probably haven't done as much training as usual. According to afterbuzz Danica only trained 2 days for her samba.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's been speculation that this week will see a double elimination, as there are only 3 weeks left.
    I would guess Candace and James/or Danica leaving, with the 3 Olympians to go through to the final. Thoughts?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    karina_ wrote: »
    There's been speculation that this week will see a double elimination, as there are only 3 weeks left.
    I would guess Candace and James/or Danica leaving, with the 3 Olympians to go through to the final. Thoughts?

I'd be surprised to see a double elimination. They are desperate for ratings, and keeping four in the final seems to be a way to hold onto more viewers. They have had four in the final the last two seasons, even before they eliminated the results show.

But we'll see. It costs more to keep another couple an extra week--$50,000 more just to the celebrity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belated thoughts about last week's show... I didn't enjoy it very much and thought much of the music was dire. Generally, I don't mind non-traditional music, but there needs to be a better mix. I think there's a theme developing for me. DwtS is all on one note and just doesn't do light and shade. Unfortunately they have the needle stuck on frenetic. Everything is just piled on and OTT. More, bigger, louder, brighter, faster, brasher... and the net result?.....Instead of exciting, fresh and dynamic, it becomes a headache inducing 'blah' :(.

Peta's underwear was just inappropriate. Clearly they're trying to ladle on the sexy with these two (James: 'We're trying to keep it as platonic as possible.' Smirk, smirk. Peta making out with the petrol nozzle. Bleurgh!). James is a rubbish dancer though I think he has some natural ability. Dunno if Peta's trying to teach him technique and he can't do it, or if she doesn't care about it. Shame. He could have been okay...

Charlie is disappointing. Or is it Sharna's choreo that just isn't working out? :confused: (Len was downright rude and totally unconstructive with his remarks though). Meryl's a good dancer and I think she's adapted better than Charlie, but she wasn't perfect and there was too much busy in that routine.

I didn't hate Amy's VT like some, although I don't really want to hear about her domestic problems. It was an unfortunate choice of words to say they couldn't satisfy each others needs :blush:, but I'm sure she just meant they didn't have enough time together :p. I don't agree she's spoiling the show, but I do wish the judges would make up their minds about how to judge her. FWIW, I liked her rumba. Maybe a little dull and repetitive, but better than most rumbas on DwtS and SCD. She looked great (think wardrobe have done a great job with her in general).

Candace's AT was my favourite dance of the night and she also looked amazing. She lacked intensity and didn't really 'inhabit' the character of the dance at times, but the routine was good and choreo was really nice. It may not have been as technical or as 'wow' as Meryl and Val's but, overall, I liked it more. It had the elusive light and shade ;-). (Crumbs. Well done, Marky! :p)

NeNe's AT was one of the worst I've seen on either show. So, so glad she got the boot. What terrible manners she has, not to even pretend to appreciate Tony's efforts :o. Hope she never reappears on my tellybox.

Danica... Well she was obviously suffering but carried on and did pretty well. Hated her outfit and the troupe dancing with. Wasn't excited by it, but hope she sticks around - she's my best (only?) hope for some lovely ballroom ^_^.

Team dances? Neither was perfect but Del's team was always going to win :D

So many injuries (plus I read Meryl broke a toe in the switch up week). Hope Charlie, Danica and Amy are okay and can carry on, but I'm in harsh mood, so if anyone can't give 100% better they withdraw. It'd be a shame, but I don't want to watch them bravely limping to the finish. Thought Erin had a good week and, although I don't like the guest judge spot, Ricky Martin came across really well. Wish Maks would stop mugging for the camera and inserting himself into everyone else's 'moments'. Tom - great as always.
    Forum Member
    Mostly agreeing with you again Soupy. Didn't watch the show 'til later in the week, wasn't something I was eager to watch anymore. Thought I would give it a try in the hope it had improved, no such luck.

None of the dances were memorable to me, one big blur and not something I want to go back and watch again, like I would with SCD.

Think NeNe or as I've renamed her MeMe, just about capped it off. Talk about self absorbed, all about me, no, 'thank you', to Tony, was a NoNo.>:( Did laugh at her dig, about how she held her own, against Olympic champions, and was proud of herself.:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think NeNe or as I've renamed her MeMe, just about capped it off. Talk about self absorbed, all about me, no, 'thank you', to Tony, was a NoNo.>:( Did laugh at her dig, about how she held her own, against Olympic champions, and was proud of herself.:D:D

1st BIB You can say that again

2nd BIB - I'm thinking of adopting her, 'Ahm soooo proud of meee' for all my own achievements....
    ....like when I don't burn the toast or I can remember my Amazon password or tie my own shoelaces. I'll give myself a nice pat on the back and say how proud I am of meeeeee!!!

In other news.....

Week 8 dances (as pilfered from PureDwts):
    Amy and Derek – Argentine Tango to “Heart Upon My Sleeve” by Avicii
    James and Peta – Viennese Waltz to “6-2″ by Marie Miller
    Charlie and Sharna – Quickstep to “My Heart Goes Boom” by Miss Li
    Candace and Mark – Foxtrot to “That’s It, I Quit, I’m Movin’ On” by Sam Cooke
    Danica and Val – Tango to “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Lorde
    Meryl and Maks – Rumba

I'm wiping the slate clean, putting my optimist hat on and looking forward to some great ballroom dances :cool:. Some of the music even sounds promising. What are the chances???? :):D

Round two:
    James/Amy – Jive to “Ain’t Nothing Wrong with That” by Robert Randolph & the Family Band
    Charlie/Candace – contemporary to “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith
    Meryl/Danica – samba to “I Luh Yah Papi” by J. Lo feat. French Montana )
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2nd BIB - I'm thinking of adopting her, 'Ahm soooo proud of meee' for all my own achievements....
    ....like when I don't burn the toast or I can remember my Amazon password or tie my own shoelaces. I'll give myself a nice pat on the back and say how proud I am of meeeeee!!!

In other news.....

Week 8 dances (as pilfered from PureDwts):
    Amy and Derek – Argentine Tango to “Heart Upon My Sleeve” by Avicii
    James and Peta – Viennese Waltz to “6-2″ by Marie Miller
    Charlie and Sharna – Quickstep to “My Heart Goes Boom” by Miss Li
    Candace and Mark – Foxtrot to “That’s It, I Quit, I’m Movin’ On” by Sam Cooke
    Danica and Val – Tango to “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Lorde
    Meryl and Maks – Rumba

I'm wiping the slate clean, putting my optimist hat on and looking forward to some great ballroom dances :cool:. Some of the music even sounds promising. What are the chances???? :):D

Round two:
    James/Amy – Jive to “Ain’t Nothing Wrong with That” by Robert Randolph & the Family Band
    Charlie/Candace – contemporary to “Stay With Me” by Sam Smith
    Meryl/Danica – samba to “I Luh Yah Papi” by J. Lo feat. French Montana )

Don't know why Charlie and Candice are doing a dance from week 1 and Danica and Meryl are doing a dance from last week & had similar theme. Didn't even remember that James did a jive tbh.

Hope we see some good ballroom dances too but it is dwts :D so not holding my breathe just in case.
    Forum Member

Took you as literally wanting to adopt MeMe, you'd soon send her back, 'til I reread the sentence!!! Yes kudos for being able to remember your password Soupy and tie your shoe laces, definite high praise for you then!! Lol

Thanks for the dances and song choices for this week, yes let's be positive, it is a veritable ballroom fest this week, bar one contemporary routine. How much content is contained in said dances is anyone's guess.:kitty: