Options

Could a Big Bank go down?

bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,940
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With Barclay's in the news for their Fixing of rates of the LIBOR it got me thinking that this is just the tip of the Iceberg and could send a Major British Bank going down like Lehman Brothers in the U.S.A- could the unthinkable happen:confused:

i know most of the british banks are part owned by the Govt/taxpayer but could it happen under The Government watch that a Big Bank collaspes and would then happen what would the Government try and do to salavge the situation if possible:confused:

Is there anymore or anyother big shocks to comeout of what has happened this week and could members of of the Prevous Government(s) be involed somehow and where member of the Bank of England involved aswell and are we likely to see somemore big ceo, Chief Exex or even MP s in the last Labour Government to resign if involved:confused:

Comments

• Options
    steven walkingsteven walking Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    bingoman wrote: »
    With Barclay's in the news for their Fixing of rates of the LIBOR it got me thinking that this is just the tip of the Iceberg and could send a Major British Bank going down like Lehman Brothers in the U.S.A- could the unthinkable happen:confused:

i know most of the british banks are part owned by the Govt/taxpayer but could it happen under The Government watch that a Big Bank collaspes and would then happen what would the Government try and do to salavge the situation if possible:confused:

Is there anymore or anyother big shocks to comeout of what has happened this week and could members of of the Prevous Government(s) be involed somehow and where member of the Bank of England involved aswell and are we likely to see somemore big ceo, Chief Exex or even MP s in the last Labour Government to resign if involved:confused:

Certainly not Barclays but RBS has to be a contender for further state intervention,it is alleged Darling knew about the crisis at RBS months beforehand and the Libor scandal will end a few careers in the Labour party. The following is what i posted on another thread that may interest you.

Of course it will damage them, on another note according to the Edinburgh Evening News the Scottish Crown Office is mounting an investigation into bank malpractice and have Fred Goodwin in their sights so I believe a certain A Darling will be in the frame as well as it was alleged he knew about the RBS crisis months beforehand yet did nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly not Barclays but RBS has to be a contender for further state intervention, Darling knew about the crisis at RBS months beforehand and the Libor scandal will end a few careers in the Labour party. The following is what i posted on another thread that may interest you.

Of course it will damage them, on another note according to the Edinburgh Evening News the Scottish Crown Office is mounting an investigation into bank malpractice and have Fred Goodwin in their sights so I believe a certain A Darling will be in the frame as well as it was alleged he knew about the RBS crisis months beforehand yet did nothing.

Your first part said he knew, the second quoted part says alleged to have known. :confused:

Have you got a link to this information and any link to the Labour Party members who will have their career ended?
  • Options
    JillyJilly Posts: 20,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WindWalker wrote: »
    Your first part said he knew, the second quoted part says alleged to have known. :confused:

Have you got a link to this information and any link to the Labour Party members who will have their career ended?

Oh dear are you sweating a bit, all these weeks of mulling over failures in the Government and then along comes a Labour Party scandal.

A u-turn on pastie tax will pale into insignificance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jilly wrote: »
    Oh dear are you sweating a bit, all these weeks of mulling over failures in the Government and then along comes a Labour Party scandal.

A u-turn on pastie tax will pale into insignificance.

Why would I be sweating? :confused:

Labour party scandal? It's a banking scandal isn't it, unless of course, you can show otherwise?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »

There are other banks facing huge fines but Osborne has ensured that the fines will go back to the taxpayer.
  • Options
    Forum Member

That was a mistake on my part i should have used alleged as it keeps DS happy. Fixed the original post.

Well Darling will be a casualty if Fred while saving his neck lands him in it, pretty sure the treasury team from 2007-10 are sweating about their part in the Libor scandal coming out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a mistake on my part i should have used alleged as it keeps DS happy. Fixed the original post.

Well Darling will be a casualty if Fred while saving his neck lands him in it, pretty sure the treasury team from 2007-10 are sweating about their part in the Libor scandal coming out.

Of course they are and Miliband is backing himself up a corner over the vote tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Of course they are and Miliband is backing himself up a corner over the vote tomorrow.

Loved Balls excuse about being children's minister, creep was the one that bungled the Shoesmith sacking. If the treasury did put pressure with regards to hints and email abut the Libor rate then Brown,Darling ect are up to their neck in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Balls excuse about being children's minister, creep was the one that bungled the Shoesmith sacking.

I really hope this whole thing shuts him up for a while and wipes that smile off his cocky face.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The votes will be whipped so on numbers alone Labour will lose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not about keeping ds happy, it's about being accurate. Something conservative supporters seem to be having an awful lot of trouble with lately...

So there is nothing to say Darling had any prior information about RBS problems then, either months or weeks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What part did Darling play in it then? Who are the treasury team that should be worried? I keep asking but no one can tell me. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not about keeping ds happy, it's about being accurate. Something conservative supporters seem to be having an awful lot of trouble with lately...

So there is nothing to say Darling had any prior information about RBS problems then, either months or weeks?

I have NO political affiliation, if i was that way i'd be more inclined to support Labour, oh there is evidence if an ex DS FM/ RBS employee is correct.;)

Darlings role in the RBS scandal will come out, if there is enough evidence against Goodwin to charge him with bank malpractice then he will sing like a drunken Scotsman and implicate others in RBS and government at the time in return for leniency.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What part did Darling play in it then? Who are the treasury team that should be worried? I keep asking but no one can tell me. :confused:

Ask DS to invite back Berties Assets as he/she seemed to have a grasp on things at RBS ect at the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have NO political affiliation, if i was that way i'd be more inclined to support Labour, oh there is evidence if an ex DS FM/ RBS employee is correct.;)

Darlings role in the RBS scandal will come out, if there is enough evidence against Goodwin to charge him with bank malpractice then he will sing like a drunken Scotsman and implicate others in RBS and government at the time in return for leniency.

So that's a no then? Why post that he did if you have nothing to show he did? :confused:
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »

But again, doesn't say who or even why they would be involved in setting Libor. Isn't that overseen by the BBA and BoE?

If the complaint was made to government, then I'm sure Barclays will have copies of what was reported and to who?

Note: I trust bankers even less than I do politicians!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To drag this back on topic, any of the big banks could go down and quite easily too. They have enormous sums tied up in derivatives, commodities, stock, various 'financial instruments' and so on, on top of general lending. Their ratios are high, their risks are high and a margin call due to a downgrade could cause even more problems for them. We saw 'IT problems' at RBS/Nat West/Ulster bank just after they were downgraded. It all seems to be a finely balanced house of cards, a breeze from the wrong direction could spell trouble for any of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Brodsky: Central Banks Are Nearing The 'Inflate Or Die' Stage

"It's impossible to have a political solution to a balance sheet problem" says Paul Brodsky, bond market expert and co-founder of QB Asset Management.

The world has simply gotten itself into too much debt. There are creditors that expect to be paid, and debtors that are having an increasingly difficult time making their coupon payments. No amount of political or policy intervention is going to change that reality. (Unless a global "debt jubilee" transpires, which Paul thinks is unlikely).

Looking at the global monetary base, Paul sees it dwarfed by the staggering amount of debts that need to be repaid or serviced. The reckless use of leverage has resulted in a chasm between total credit and the money that can service it.

So how will this debt overhang be resolved?

Central bank money printing -- and lots of it -- thinks Paul.

At this point, the danger posed by the instability of our monetary and fiscal house of cards is so great that trying to time an investment program to when this avalanche of printing will occur is too risky, in Paul's opinion. It's time to shift your remaining capital into hard assets and sit on the sidelines to watch the carnage play out.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/paul-brodsky-central-banks-are-nearing-inflate-or-die-stage

I think it's inevitable as the above shows, where is there left to go for banks?
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    yes

and it should have happened in 2008

if a bank has lent recklessly and made bad decisions

let it fail then sell the good assets and all the bad ones tough luck

all the rich speculators get burned-- good

this is how the market works bad banks fail good one survive

instead of now we have socialized the debt and we are rewarding failure

bank will keep on betting on risky investments safe in the knowledge the

state will bail them out