David Jensen BBC Sussex and Surrey

occyoccy Posts: 65,045
Forum Member
✭✭
From Radio Today

BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey has hired in some well-known cover presenters for the next few weeks, including David Kid Jensen.

The Kid, most recently host of Smooth Radio’s afternoon drive show, will cover the Saturday Mid-Morning Show on 19th and 26th April.

David started his career at Radio Luxembourg, before moving to BBC Radio 1. He then went on to present at stations including Capital and Heart.

In addition, David Hamilton will cover the Sunday Request Show from Midday-3pm on Sunday 6th April.

Finally, Jeni Barnett will present the Mid-Morning Show for three weeks from Monday 31st March, whilst regular host Danny Pike covers BBC Sussex Breakfast.

Commenting on the news, Jeni said: “I couldn’t be happier! Brighton has the sea, a perfect French coffee shop next to the studio, a great team, and superior listeners I’m told. I can’t wait to get going”.

In recent years, Jeni presented the Afternoon Show on LBC, before moving to BBC London.

Commenting on the news, Assistant Editor Mark Carter told RadioToday.co.uk: “I’m delighted to welcome such high profile presenters to BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey. They are all local, so really know the area that they are broadcasting to and I’m sure they’ll prove a hit with listeners old and new”

Comments

• Gary_hGary_h Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    From Radio Today

BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey has hired in some well-known cover presenters for the next few weeks, including David Kid Jensen.

The Kid, most recently host of Smooth Radio’s afternoon drive show, will cover the Saturday Mid-Morning Show on 19th and 26th April.

David started his career at Radio Luxembourg, before moving to BBC Radio 1. He then went on to present at stations including Capital and Heart.

In addition, David Hamilton will cover the Sunday Request Show from Midday-3pm on Sunday 6th April.

Finally, Jeni Barnett will present the Mid-Morning Show for three weeks from Monday 31st March, whilst regular host Danny Pike covers BBC Sussex Breakfast.

Commenting on the news, Jeni said: “I couldn’t be happier! Brighton has the sea, a perfect French coffee shop next to the studio, a great team, and superior listeners I’m told. I can’t wait to get going”.

In recent years, Jeni presented the Afternoon Show on LBC, before moving to BBC London.

Commenting on the news, Assistant Editor Mark Carter told RadioToday.co.uk: “I’m delighted to welcome such high profile presenters to BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey. They are all local, so really know the area that they are broadcasting to and I’m sure they’ll prove a hit with listeners old and new”

I hope it better than the half hour I listened the other week. There was a handover between Graham Dean and David Hamilton. It was bloody awful, It made smashy and Nicey sould like a couple of slick jocks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    From Radio Today

David started his career at Radio Luxembourg,

What utter tosh, no he didn't, typical digital spy made up journalism.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just maybe they meant started his career in Europe.
    Ignoring the fact he started off in Victoria British Colmbia
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From his website
    http://www.davidkidjensen.com/blog/
    His career took off in Europe when he joined Radio Luxembourg
    Seems he was 18? Hope the work on local radio works well?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Here's the true situation: The teenage Jensen worked part time at CKOV in Kelowna, BC -- where his Dad was the station manager. That was his only Canadian radio experience before 208. In the early 1980s when I worked briefly at Vancouver's greatest station, CKLG, I asked around. Nobody in the city's radio community had heard of Jensen.

Here are two stories about Jensen, from my difficult days as Program Director at Radio Trent: (I never had a problem with his performance, these true stories are offered as an insight into what went on "behind the scenes")

About a year after Trent started we were widely recognized as the best ILR to date. But manager Dennis Maitland didn't like me because I was not a member of the ex-Luxembourg inner circle he created around himself. He instructed me to call a meeting of the DJs. At the meeting he said he felt we didn't have a good team (!). I disagreed, of course. He said "Let's go around the room and each person can say if they feel the DJs are working as a team". I said OK. To paraphrase what each person said:
    Me: I feel we have a great station and a good team.
    John Peters: Yes, we have a great team.
    Peter Quinn: We have a good team.
    Guy Morris: We are working as a team.
    Chris Baird: Of course we are a good team.
    Graham Knight: We are a great team.
    Jeff Cooper: We are working well as a team.
    Jensen: No, we are not a team.
    Maitland: There, I told you so, we don't have a team.

This was the kind of continuing insanity I had to deal with.

Story number two: In Jensen's final week at Radio Trent before he moved to BBC Radio One I was sitting in my office listening to him on the air. I heard him say -- on the air -- "Well, just a few more days until I skip down the medium wave band to 247"

I went downstairs to the studio and calmly said to him (paraphrasing from memory): "I don't want to hear you say anything like that again. That is not acceptable. After your show you can go to your buddy Maitland and tell him I upset you -- but you and I both know there is no station where saying something on the air to promote your move to another station would be considered OK." Jensen did not reply. I never saw him again.
    A short time later, Maitland started moving against me.

Bob Snyder
  • wckartistwckartist Posts: 1,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob Snyder wrote: »

About a year after Trent started we were widely recognized as the best ILR to date. Bob Snyder

Yes, and then Beacon came along, and took it to another level!!!:D;-);-)

Isn't it sad when you think Trent, Piccadilly, City and Beacon were class acts in their day, compared to the drivel we have now!!
  • Oscar_Oscar_ Posts: 3,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In recent years, Jeni Barnett presented the Afternoon Show on LBC

This is true, and it was a disastrous failure. Even her own dog didn't like her.

The fact that she is still getting gigs on the radio after that is proof (if it were needed) that the people managing these stations don't have a clue what they are doing. It really is a disgrace.
  • Colin_WilliamsColin_Williams Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    Here's the true situation: The teenage Jensen worked part time at CKOV in Kelowna, BC -- where his Dad was the station manager. That was his only Canadian radio experience before 208. In the early 1980s when I worked briefly at Vancouver's greatest station, CKLG, I asked around. Nobody in the city's radio community had heard of Jensen.

Here are two stories about Jensen, from my difficult days as Program Director at Radio Trent: (I never had a problem with his performance, these true stories are offered as an insight into what went on "behind the scenes")

About a year after Trent started we were widely recognized as the best ILR to date. But manager Dennis Maitland didn't like me because I was not a member of the ex-Luxembourg inner circle he created around himself. He instructed me to call a meeting of the DJs. At the meeting he said he felt we didn't have a good team (!). I disagreed, of course. He said "Let's go around the room and each person can say if they feel the DJs are working as a team". I said OK. To paraphrase what each person said:

Story number two: In Jensen's final week at Radio Trent before he moved to BBC Radio One I was sitting in my office listening to him on the air. I heard him say -- on the air -- "Well, just a few more days until I skip down the medium wave band to 247"

I went downstairs to the studio and calmly said to him (paraphrasing from memory): "I don't want to hear you say anything like that again. That is not acceptable. After your show you can go to your buddy Maitland and tell him I upset you -- but you and I both know there is no station where saying something on the air to promote your move to another station would be considered OK." Jensen did not reply. I never saw him again.

Bob Snyder
    On the subject of the move to 247, I seem to remember that 247 reception in Nottingham was hopeless anyway!
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the subject of the move to 247, I seem to remember that 247 reception in Nottingham was hopeless anyway!

Yes, Mike Barron's 1975 book, Independent Radio makes that very point, saying that Trent were able to take advantage of that.

Mind you 247 reception was hopeless in many other places too, another factor that made the early ILRs a success.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From Radio Today

How long before we get a Documentary series from Jenson on Radio 2?
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member

Bob Snyder
    Your stories seem to be more a criticism of Denis Maitland than David Jensen. Its scarcely his fault if the station manager chose to take his side for his own reasons.
  • up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jensen down as 'Jenson' on BBC website for 19thApril.Yeah..it's been a long time since he worked for the BBC.and the person filling out the webpages probably wasn't even born..:D
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jensen down as 'Jenson' on BBC website for 19thApril.Yeah..it's been a long time since he worked for the BBC.and the person filling out the webpages probably wasn't even born..:D

There's people I've seen on here who have been favourable about him and called him Jenson!! If people who like him don't know his surname.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    David jensen is not now on bbc radio sussex and bbc radio surrey now
    i do hope this well known good radio presenter david jensen will get live on to this radio station name the wireless from age uk or get on to global smooth radio now that would be good now
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do hope this well known good radio presenter david jensen will get live on to this radio station name the wireless from age uk or get on to global smooth radio now that would be good now

David Jensen was only let go from Smooth Radio 15 months ago just before Christmas 2013 from the Drivetime 4pm to 7pm slot. That radio network neutered him as a presenter. He won't be going back I'm sure.

He presented tonight's TOTP shown on BBC4 from 28th February 1980 and very good he was too at that time. From a "Kid" in 1980 to a "Pensioner" in 2015 this July! Time sure flies.

Your post was rather difficult to read properly I have to say.
  • edwardlondonedwardlondon Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    David Jensens best days are way behind him. Put him out to grass I think.
    Jenni Barnett has been a complete failure on any of the London stations recently and just isnt up to radio presenting.
    This radio station has been in a downwards spiral since Pringle axed the day time line up a few years ago.
    Its sadly dying a slow death.......v sad.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't know Jensen used to be on Trent
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David Jensen still pops up from time to time, he occasionally stands in for Danny Pike on Saturday mornings and was last heard presenting BBC Surrey's Saturday breakfast show a few weeks ago.
    This radio station has been in a downwards spiral since Pringle axed the day time line up a few years ago.
    Its sadly dying a slow death.......v sad.
    And yet in the last RAJAR they recorded their best audience figures for four years...
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the Station Manager is in the same Lodge as The Kid....
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Jensen has a Friday night show on The Wireless, playing songs mostly from the late 60s-early 70s I think with chat about his Radio Luxembourg days, which might be of interest to some people on here
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Didn't know Jensen used to be on Trent

Yes, he was there for about 14 months from the beginning until he joined Radio 1 in August 1976:

http://andywalmsley.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/down-your-local-radio-trent.html

http://randomradio.net/audio/Kid%20Jensen.mp3

http://davidlloyd-radio.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/trent-301.html
  • Robert WilliamsRobert Williams Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David will be presenting the Saturday afternoon show on BBC Sussex and BBC Surrey throughout the summer: http://radiotoday.co.uk/2015/03/kid-jensen-returns-to-bbc-sussex-bbc-surrey/
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has he made any reference to his Totp reruns recently?
  • spursboy68spursboy68 Posts: 4,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have probably mentioned this on another forum, but I had the lovely pleasure of going on David Jensen's Smooth Radio show in March 2013. I had to adjudicate a competion they were doing and can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I'd met him twice before so knew how nice he was. He will always be a legend imo.