Simon Bates to host BBC Radio Devon breakfast

occyoccy Posts: 65,032
Forum Member
✭✭
Simon Bates joins BBC Radio Devon Breakfast from January. Must live near there?

Radio Today

Comments

• dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Simon Bates joins BBC Radio Devon Breakfast from January. Must live near there?

Radio Today

The Radio Today articles says he is a Devon resident:

http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/12/simon-bates-joins-bbc-radio-devon-for-breakfast/
  • radioviewerradioviewer Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another dinosaur. I thought BBC local radio was broke?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It says he's doing 7 - 10 so I assume a knock on effect for the rest of the schedule as Judi Spiers usually starts at 9.
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    Is the BBC Devon Breakfast show the same as most of the other local breakfast shows ?
    ie.......news & talk only - no music
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Is the BBC Devon Breakfast show the same as most of the other local breakfast shows ?
    ie.......news & talk only - no music

Most BBC local radio breakfast shows I've heard are all speech from 7-9am at least. If the show starts earlier or runs later some have music pre-7am and post-9am although it varies from station to station.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's logic to present a show locally if the opportunity in there. We can listen online or again outside the area.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How are new presenters supposed to get a foothold these days? Career path used to be hospital radio> BBC local> ILR> BBC Radio 1.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Tony Hall's policy was to encourage local radio stations to have female presenters for their breakfast shows.....I don't suppose he's ever heard of Radio Devon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/30293920
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How are new presenters supposed to get a foothold these days? Career path used to be hospital radio> BBC local> ILR> BBC Radio 1.

It's the other way round now :D
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,780
    Forum Member
    So there will be music in the final hour as he's bringing the Golden Hour to BBC Devon.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    Surprised by this as he's a huge Radio name, I was a fan of his on Radio 1 and was disappointed for him to be sacked in 93.

I'd never dream of trying Radio Devon breakfast unless there was some snow but now I may give it a go. Unlike other areas Devon has limited options on FM so this will add some genuine choice for listeners.

In terms of cost cutting having 3 presenters between 1 and 7 is unnecessary so one of those needs the chop.
  • reverse_diodereverse_diode Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjex wrote: »
    Surprised by this as he's a huge Radio name, I was a fan of his on Radio 1 and was disappointed for him to be sacked in 93.

I'd never dream of trying Radio Devon breakfast unless there was some snow but now I may give it a go. Unlike other areas Devon has limited options on FM so this will add some genuine choice for listeners.

In terms of cost cutting having 3 presenters between 1 and 7 is unnecessary so one of those needs the chop.

He wasn't sacked technically, he walked before Bannister could tell him his contract wasn't being renewed. I pity the poor manager having to deal with his legendary ego.
  • pjexpjex Posts: 9,371
    Forum Member
    Such a big story it even featured on our local news after News at 10.

Be interesting to see how this affects the audience, will give Radio 2 listeners who don't like Evans somewhere to go.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He wasn't sacked technically, he walked before Bannister could tell him his contract wasn't being renewed. I pity the poor manager having to deal with his legendary ego.

Indeed inspired this:D

I won't be listening, but then I only listen to Radio Devon when Exeter are playing away. So no change here.
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    pjex wrote: »
    Such a big story it even featured on our local news after News at 10.

Be interesting to see how this affects the audience, will give Radio 2 listeners who don't like Evans somewhere to go.

Wow it must be a slow news day but good for his ego.

These days usually the only time an old school radio 1 jock makes the news is when they're being investigated by the police ;)
  • RobinCarmodyRobinCarmody Posts: 3,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Who invented the skip?"
    "Simon Bates, I don't bloody know ..."
  • radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    So there will be music in the final hour as he's bringing the Golden Hour to BBC Devon.

were does it say he s bringing back the golden hour?
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    "Who invented the skip?"
    "Simon Bates, I don't bloody know ..."

Think you mean Bobby Moore;-)
  • paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    were does it say he s bringing back the golden hour?

Here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    BBC Devon editor Mark Grinnel has been a massive fan of Simons for ages, he still sounds great, ( Simon not Mark) but there are many local qualified journalists who can do the Job, I expect loads of the staff to start drooling around him soon. He has not got an ego tho , very affable and down to earth. You needed an ego at Radio 1, loads of people to shoot you down.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The advantage now with new technology is your able to listen on line, mobile and again. So like me who admires Simons work, probably will check him out as l live out the area.
  • AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky Devon I wish he was on BBC London, or dare I say it even on Smooth. Surely a slot can made or him on Radio 2. I think he would be a fine replacement for SW Sunday Love Songs
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I thought Tony Hall's policy was to encourage local radio stations to have female presenters for their breakfast shows.....I don't suppose he's ever heard of Radio Devon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ariel/30293920

I don't think there was ever a suggestion that every single station should have a female host.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    I haven't heard him for ages. Does he still go to New York every weekend, and go on about how wonderful that place is compared to the UK. You can get an ice cream in New York at 3am delivered to your door, he might be struggling with that one in Devon, though most people would buy ice creams in advance and keep them in their fridge.

And bookshops. Do they allow you to read books in shops in Devon, well they do in New York as he kept on reminding us, and if he actually bought one he would read it on his way back to Heathrow, just in time to interview the author on his radio show
  • fifthmetatarsalfifthmetatarsal Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I thought sure I heard him DJ'ing on Asda FM the other day . . . mind you I was at the cheese counter.

I see he lost his last job to a former piss-poor tennis player.