Comic Relief 2015

Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Comic Relief is on tonight and kicks off at 7:00pm on BBC One live from the London Palladium highlights for tonight's show include

one-off James Bond sketch
little Britain with a very special guest - Professor Stephen Hawking
the vicar of Dibley
Mr bean
live highlights for phoenix nights

and music from Ella Henderson, singer songwriter Labrinth and Grammy award winner Sam Smith.

YOU CAN DONATE HERE http://www.rednoseday.com/sponsor-and-donate or by text

Comments

• darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will be donating this weekend, but to local Homeless Charities / Food banks / Great Ormond Street / St Francis Hospice / Air Ambulance.

Everytime I see a sob story on Comic Relief for charities in countries that already get millions in foreign aid or but don't understand the importance of contraception, or for many charities like sports equipment for Asylum seekers etc etc, I will put some money into a pot to go to one of the above UK Charities.

I do something like this almost every year there is a televised charity event hosted by rich celebrities guilt tripping the nation. So I make donations to charities of my choosing, without tax avoiding twonks like Bono / Geldof etc etc ramming their beliefs down our throats. I am a charitable person, but I choose the charities, nobody else.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but comic relief also helps charities in the UK
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but comic relief also helps charities in the UK

Yes it does but a lot of the money still goes abroad.
  • ursula321ursula321 Posts: 1,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abroad or not why does nothing ever change regardless of the millions raised?

I will watch some of comic relief for the pheonix nights stuff but I could do without the begging clips.

Some of the clips are so sad and are designed to guilt you into donating. I can't watch most of them anyway so I turn over when they come on.
  • Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    ursula321 wrote: »

I have been wondering about this too, last time around the focus was on raising money for proper mosquito nets to prevent malaria and save children. This time several of the clips I've heard have had the same focus, still more malaria nets needed. I regularly stop and remind myself how lucky I am to live where I do and I do feel great pity and sympathy for those less fortunate, but I remain unconvinced that chucking money at it will ever solve the problems. (I also know comic relief and children in need don't just throw money but you know what I mean!) Since the days of Live Aid, how many millions raised and spent and it really does feel like nothing changes. I usually do give some money, but on the whole I don't watch the programme, the comedy isn't quite enough to make up for irritating famous people making sad eyes at me from war torn famine struck places.
  • tellymadmantellymadman Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Little Britain won't be the same without Matt Lucas though. Looking forward to Mr bean, vicar of dibley and no direction in particular
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just bet a new record will be set this year.

And the 2016 Soviet Tractor Production figures have broken all records...
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got it set to record and will watch it over the weekend fast forwarding through all the presenter nonsense.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will be donating this weekend, but to local Homeless Charities / Food banks / Great Ormond Street / St Francis Hospice / Air Ambulance.

Everytime I see a sob story on Comic Relief for charities in countries that already get millions in foreign aid or but don't understand the importance of contraception, or for many charities like sports equipment for Asylum seekers etc etc, I will put some money into a pot to go to one of the above UK Charities.

I do something like this almost every year there is a televised charity event hosted by rich celebrities guilt tripping the nation. So I make donations to charities of my choosing, without tax avoiding twonks like Bono / Geldof etc etc ramming their beliefs down our throats. I am a charitable person, but I choose the charities, nobody else.

Nobody is forcing you to donate. We donated because we wanted too, and because know that the money goes to such a good cause. Nobody forced us to donate. Feel free to donate to some homeless charity or a food bank instead, but I'd rather see the money I donate supporting something worthwhile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to watching some of the sketches.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone agrees but I think Comic Relief hasn't been quite as high profile this year as it normally is.

Admittedly I'm basing that on the fact that I've been able to avoid it more easily than normal, but still...
    Feel free to donate to some homeless charity or a food bank instead, but I'd rather see the money I donate supporting something worthwhile.

Implying that you don't think homeless charities or food banks are worthwhile? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    Implying that you don't think homeless charities or food banks are worthwhile? :confused:

They aren't something I would support or donate too anyway.
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't something I would support or donate too anyway.

Why's that?
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been wondering about this too, last time around the focus was on raising money for proper mosquito nets to prevent malaria and save children. This time several of the clips I've heard have had the same focus, still more malaria nets needed. I regularly stop and remind myself how lucky I am to live where I do and I do feel great pity and sympathy for those less fortunate, but I remain unconvinced that chucking money at it will ever solve the problems. (I also know comic relief and children in need don't just throw money but you know what I mean!) Since the days of Live Aid, how many millions raised and spent and it really does feel like nothing changes. I usually do give some money, but on the whole I don't watch the programme, the comedy isn't quite enough to make up for irritating famous people making sad eyes at me from war torn famine struck places.
    Money cannot change attitudes, and it is attitudes in a large number of these places that need to change first and foremost.

In Zimbabwe, where current life expectancy is no more than 50 would you believe, the President of the past 35 years, Robert Mugabe, has just celebrated his 91st birthday with what was seen as an obscenely expensive party, while huge numbers of the country live in poverty around him. His wife apparently loves her expensive London trips to Harrods too. People like him and his cronies, and in other countries too, are simply stealing much of the potential wealth and cash provided with no conscience whatsoever.

I never fall for emotional blackmail like some of these aid adverts are getting ever more blatant with lately. Plus I do not need an advert like that or a TV fundraiser in order to give generously to a cause.
  • RobertSterlingRobertSterling Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Anyway...... getting back to the actual show.

Looking forward to the Bond sketch.

Daniel Craig did a sketch a few years ago with Catherine Tate which I thought was quite funny (it was either for Comic Relief or Children In Need).

Will be good to see two Bond's together though I'm not sure if they're actually together on camera.

Incidentally, I'm not one to judge people, if you choose to give, great, if not, no problem.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Little Britain won't be the same without Matt Lucas though. Looking forward to Mr bean, vicar of dibley and no direction in particular
    The clip of David and Stephen is pretty funny IMO
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the structure of the show works at all well. There is usually the odd funny sketch, but as they sandwich it in between reports that ought to anger and upset any sentient human being, there's not actually a real mood to appreciate the humour. A mood for laughing is not something you can flick on and off like a switch, and no one would want to be grinning and smiling through clips about starvation and suffering. It's in a good cause but as TV I never feel it works.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to the bond sketch

But endless Davina pleading for starving orphans

Mind you, backsall might be there
  • idrewukidrewuk Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    First time they've broadcast outside a 'proper' TV studio? I wonder how that'll translate to screen...
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the structure of the show works at all well. There is usually the odd funny sketch, but as they sandwich it in between reports that ought to anger and upset any sentient human being, there's not actually a real mood to appreciate the humour. A mood for laughing is not something you can flick on and off like a switch, and no one would want to be grinning and smiling through clips about starvation and suffering. It's in a good cause but as TV I never feel it works.

I usually feel better about laughing once I've made a donation, and the reports on how the past money raised has been used are pretty feel-good too.
    Not sure I'll be watching much tonight though, as the spoilers so far don't sound very appealing to me.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it too slick and refined these days in the early days it was very madcap with things going wrong and not knowing what was coming up next and more studio based antics it was more fun like that
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will not be viewing any of it. Used to be good at one time,
    which has already been commented on in this thread. But
    it has degenerated into a fairly desperate 'Give us your money
    NOW...' kind of thing. I don't doubt the performers and those
    involved are sincere; I just don't particularly want to see Lenny
    Henry, Jonathan Ross, Davina McCall et al ( ie, all the faces who
    fill the screen with 'look at me doing this, aren't I wacky'?' stuff.
    No , you are tedious. Send money if you believe in the causes
    specified, by all means, but don't encourage this telly mafioso
    self appreciation society any more!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ursula321 wrote: »

This year they expect to reach the £1 BILLION milestone since the event started :o
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already 'donate' to foreigners via my taxes. The Third World countries (let's be honest here....they stopped developing the moment the European colonialists ceded control) get enough from me. We have enough British people that need our help!!
  • wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This year they expect to reach the £1 BILLION milestone since the event started :o

Maybe who ever said that "Africa needs trade not aid" was right then.