The lifespan of a DW mystery

DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
Forum Member
I was just wondering what everyone else thought on this one!

Classic Who ran for many many years on the premise of a mysterious traveller in time and space, that even when we learned about his home planet, still remained an enigma! I would say that the enigma probably lasted through to the end of the TB era.

Today, in NuWHo, we are given various mysterious scenarios eg River Song and any story arc etc, and we (I know not everyone!) wants to know the answer immediately.

I just don't remember wanting the answers so badly years ago!

How long will the enigma of River Song last do you think, if we are not given answers in S6, do you think people will kick off?

Am I wrong, does anyone else have an opinion?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like making theories then seeing how close/far away I am...

I get bored when I have no answers after a while (don't get me started on Lost)

I reckon River Song is the TARDIS
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was perfectly happy with River as an occasional companion/possible future wife of the Doctor.

I could have continued with that for years potentially.

Moff introduced a mystery around her and is going to give us answers next series, apparently, but actually I think that's too soon if it means the end of River.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    I like making theories then seeing how close/far away I am...

I get bored when I have no answers after a while (don't get me started on Lost)

I reckon River Song is the TARDIS

Im with you on this one the TARDIS is the only person I want to married to the doctor! anyone else is like why???
  • Tigger-RooTigger-Roo Posts: 10,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was perfectly happy with River as an occasional companion/possible future wife of the Doctor.

I could have continued with that for years potentially.

Moff introduced a mystery around her and is going to give us answers next series, apparently, but actually I think that's too soon if it means the end of River.

I agree with this. Would be happy to spin it out a little longer, I like the mystery that surrounds her and she's a great character.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The only difference is in how much there is to get your teeth into, how many clues you're given, how much bait is thrown in front of you.
    Some things are just 'unknown' - in classic Who there was no promise of any upcoming revelation, we didn't know what there was to know.
    That is different from the current mysteries where the carrot is dangled in front of us.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    The only difference is in how much there is to get your teeth into, how many clues you're given, how much bait is thrown in front of you.
    Some things are just 'unknown' - in classic Who there was no promise of any upcoming revelation, we didn't know what there was to know.
    That is different from the current mysteries where the carrot is dangled in front of us.

Yes I agree there. I'm getting a bit frustrated by this "Carrot Dangling" ...it seems to last forever! River Song? For goodness sake get it over with....this has been running for 3 years (?). The 'Silence will fall' is another one. And I sincerely hope that Amy isn't going to be involved in yet another story arc - just keep her as a normal companion along with Rory.
    I enjoy Doctor Who - don't get me wrong - I've watched it since 1965, but I like to see individual stories - not this americanised way of doing story-arcs every series.