Options

Dolby Pro Logic II vs Dolby 5.1

My new Samsung home theatre setup only has one optical in so I can't get true 5.1 from my Sky box AND Xbox (without swapping cables or getting a switch).

Samsung have told me to take the optical feed from the TV instead and use the Pro Logic II setting to upscale the stereo output to 5.1.

Is this right? Is this really 5.1? It doesn't sound like it.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    No it's not - certainly not from the Sky box, there's no 5.1 via HDMI from a Sky box - I don't know about from an Xbox? - I'd be interested to hear if it sounds 5.1 from the Xbox?, and if your amp displays it as 5.1.

Really you need a better amp, as Samsung told you it will only give you Pro-Logic via optical from the TV on Sky.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No it's not - certainly not from the Sky box, there's no 5.1 via HDMI from a Sky box - I don't know about from an Xbox? - I'd be interested to hear if it sounds 5.1 from the Xbox?, and if your amp displays it as 5.1.

hmm I didn't think so.

On the Xbox when using the optical cable direct to the amp you can hear people walking up behind you for example - you don't get that when running it through the TV.

Sadly, the Samsung home theatre kit works well with my Samsung TV so don't really want to get another setup - looks like I'll have to get a switch :(
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,518
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »
    hmm I didn't think so.

On the Xbox when using the optical cable direct to the amp you can hear people walking up behind you for example - you don't get that when running it through the TV.

Thanks for that - presumably either the Xbox doesn't send 5.1 via HDMI, or the TV doesn't pass it through to the optical.

'Generally' the only way to get 5.1 from a TV optical is via an internal HD tuner (Freesat or Freeview) in the TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that - presumably either the Xbox doesn't send 5.1 via HDMI, or the TV doesn't pass it through to the optical.

'Generally' the only way to get 5.1 from a TV optical is via an internal HD tuner (Freesat or Freeview) in the TV.

I think the Xbox sends the 5.1 signal, it's my TV that only outputs stereo from the optical out (crap, I know).
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProLogic is a matrixed system where the source surround channels are mixed together in a special way down to two channels. The decoder in a surround sound system can then reverse this matrixing to produce the surround channels.

However it is not perfect and the result is not an exact reproduction of the original surround source. Basically there is no real way to separate out perfectly all of the original channels, there will always be bits of other channels mixed in.

Dolby Digital on the other hand is fully discrete from source to destination. Which means all the surround channels are separate from each other from the recording studio all the way to the speakers in your living room.

A device with Dolby Digital chipsets should be able to create a ProLogic compatible mix from a DD5.1 sound track which can be fed via the TV and decoded in the surround system. It may give a reasonable surround effect but not as good as the original discrete mix.

As you have already sussed I suspect the best solution, short of getting a proper AV amp and speaker system :) , is to get a switch.
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    I think the Xbox sends the 5.1 signal, it's my TV that only outputs stereo from the optical out (crap, I know).

I don't know any TV that will output DD5.1 unless it has an onboard HD tuner/DD decoder.

Get an optical switch, this way you'll get/keep 5.1 from Sky/Xbox when available.

DPLll is nothing like DD5.1, it can sound good on certain soundtracks, mostly movies, but generally speaking, keeping the soundtrack original will give the better quality - so while using the optical out via the TV will solve the input issue on the sound system, it will diminish the sound quality that's available on Sky/Xbox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys - all makes senses. Just a pita having to rise from the sofa each time to switch the source ;)

True 5.1 is worth it though - both Sky and Xbox sound awesome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cheers guys - all makes senses. Just a pita having to rise from the sofa each time to switch the source ;)

True 5.1 is worth it though - both Sky and Xbox sound awesome.

Get a 2way switch, it will auto switch, the downside is you can only have one source on at one time.

Some members will not recommend them, but I have used/recommended them many times and they work perfectly.

http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/products/?pc=1101&r=froogle
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    Get a 2way switch, it will auto switch, the downside is you can only have one source on at one time.

Some members will not recommend them, but I have used/recommended them many times and they work perfectly.

http://www.astarsolutions.co.uk/products/?pc=1101&r=froogle

Tried that - didn't work :(
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure if this is available in the UK

http://www.inday.com/da4x/da4x.htm

PS this may well do what the OP wants

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/thor-hdc75-28580t.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tried that - didn't work :(
    Have you got a Pace Sky box?

If you have then no, the 2way won't work, unless you completely power down the HD box, this is because the optical output is still live in standby.

The 3way manual version or something that Graham has suggested directly above looks like the only route to me.

EDIT - Has your sound system got a coaxial input? If so, and you have Pace HD box, use this output instead of optical.

If you have no coaxial input - You could try a coaxial to optical converter and try the 2way switch again.
  • Options
    puchicapuchica Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    Do you watch a lot of 5.1 material on the Sky box?
    Unless you watch a lot of movies or HD sport you might be able to live without it.

PL2x can sound very good if your speakers are setup exactly right but most normal rooms don't have the design to allow for this.

Genuine 5.1 is much better but look at the material you view regularly and see if you can do without 5.1 on one device .

You can get a half decent 5.1 amp for around £100 now that HD audio is leading the way on most amps these days