Options

Continuity Error in Silence In The Library

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    BeerCupsBeerCups Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    It might have taken 5 minutes as we watched, but in TV land hours could have passed.we don't know how long it took.
    This is hardly a huge issue as there is an explanation, its just a time problem if the is one. The real issue here its that some people are determined to nit pick in order to prove....that I haven't figured out yet, but maybe they want the show cancelled or something? Or just want a new head writer? Or they want to convince everyone else the show has become crap and these are the examples of why. It just looks a bit like someone being picked on, which in turn Sparks people to come in to defend the programme.

This ^
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might have taken 5 minutes as we watched, but in TV land hours could have passed.we don't know how long it took.

We know only minutes passed unless you are suggesting that the Daleks spent hours talking to the Doctor while he held a jammy dodger?

And I'm a big Moffat fan, I don't want the him gone, I don't want the show to end I just rather not have things that take you right out of the story.
  • Options
    BeerCupsBeerCups Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    Corwin wrote: »
    We know only minutes passed unless you are suggesting that the Daleks spent hours talking to the Doctor while he held a jammy dodger?

And I'm a big Moffat fan, I don't want the him gone, I don't want the show to end I just rather not have things that take you right out of the story.

So did the time issue take you out of the whole story?

I just feel that something as minor as that isn't the most unbelieveable thing to have happened in the whole of WHO.

I don't post on here a lot, but I read a lot on this forum and for people who are supposedly huge fans of the show, they nit pick at things that in the grand scheme of things don't actually matter.

The story has to progress, and in the world of television today, things move so quickly. If it was classic who we may have had half an episode of bracewell struggling to get the gravity bubble right and working, while the doctor skulks around on the Dalek ship for ages.

I'm in no way degrading classic who as i love it just as much as new who, but things have changed so much in television in the last 50 years, it's much more fast paced and episodes are 45mins instead of 4-6 25min episodes that at the time needed to be fleshed out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's fair enough to expect stupid things not to take you out of the story. I can't see myself any stupid things in this case. think the people that were doing the picking buggered off a couple of pages back, leaving the rest of us to argue over virtually nothing.they're probably laughing at us right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've also all seen plenty on TV where things are happening at slightly different times and is been shown right beside each to make us think its all happening together. Even top gear do it when they've timed 2 different cars going round a track and it looks like they finish together, but one was 5 second quicker.
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No of course it doesn't. But you were asking what the glaring errors were and I listed some. Yet, apart from one, you have ignored them, so what was the point in asking? (I also don't think your explanation holds up to any type of scrutiny, but hey ho, if you think it does, then fine.)

Edit: apologies, just seen that you haven't ignored them! :D
    I'M SORRY, WHAT? You've agreed that your opinion doesn't make it a glaring errors and then you continue and claim they are glaring errors. Most of the times I've read your posts I end up being angry after reading. I'm not saying people shouldn't have an opinion but sometimes it seems as if you're confused between what's you opinion and what's fact.

I don't mean to get so angry with you we just seem to have many disagreements.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the assumption that people are "bashing" Moffat because they have legitimate complaints about the writing, or plotting, is just what I find so odd.

Look at my services. I love Moffat's stuff. He's a brilliant writer. Sherlock is amazing. Some of DW has been flawless. But he isn't perfect at all times. Sometimes there is no excuse for the mistakes he makes. To say so isn't "bashing". I'd say it to him if he was here!

We don't go on about RTD because he isn't around any more. Moffat is the current showrunner, so he's who we talk about. Why do people get all defensive about him? It's not personal. I'm sure he's a great bloke!

But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the writing or plot. There are the people who like it and the people who don't.

This thread has gone quite anti-moffat and I do wish I hadn't started it now. I think the reason RTD is brought into it is because people make Moffat sound inferior to him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A nice succinct reply (which singularly fails to address any specific points) although not a correct one.

Yet again, i'm fuming. How can you just say it's incorrect?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    But there is absolutely nothing wrong with the writing or plot. There are the people who like it and the people who don't.

This thread has gone anti-moffat and I do wish I hadn't started it now.

I just think some Moffat fans see anti-Moffat posts everywhere, and I don't get it.

If we are talking about something we don't like, and Moffaat wrote it, are we supposed to say how wonderful it was really, so as not to annoy these people who think Moffat is perfection personified?

Yes, people see things differently and you just have to accept it. We see what we think are glaring errors and faults we are going to say so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just think some Moffat fans see anti-Moffat posts everywhere, and I don't get it.

If we are talking about something we don't like, and Moffaat wrote it, are we supposed to say how wonderful it was really, so as not to annoy these people who think Moffat is perfection personified?

Yes, people see things differently and you just have to accept it. We see what we think are glaring errors and faults we are going to say so.

THAT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE EVERY WHERE! There's nothing wrong with criticism but the way some people go on it's like they want the show to end because Moffat has made the show an inconstant mess that people are embarrassed to watch.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THAT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE EVERY WHERE! There's nothing wrong with criticism but the way some people go on it's like they want the show to end because Moffat has made the show an inconstant mess that people are embarrassed to watch.

i agree that a minority of fandom does indulge in aimless Moffat bashing which is both senseless and nonsensical. They have their own agenda. They are best ignored. You can usually spot them.

But he is not above criticism. I think he has managed to give us both the very best of Doctor Who but also sometimes the worst. I could write poems about how damned good S5 was and how much I love his RTD era stories. But I will also reserve the right to express my opinion that he has made some pretty big errors of judgement in S6. And it annoys me because I care and like him as a writer so much. But I cant be blind to his flaws.

People that say hes ruined the show and should go are talking rubbish. He clearly hasn't. But due to his talent it is sad for me when I see the missteps in S6. It annoys me not because it was bad but because it could have been so much better.

However I agree that some of the nitpicking is tiresome and mostly comes from those that still haven't gotten over Tennant.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can you honestly say you weren't embarrassed to watch The Doctor in Narnia? :D

Anyway, Moffat may have made a bit of a dog's breakfast of series 5 & 6, but series 7 has been wonderful so far, and last Christmas made up for The Doctor in Narnia, so I have forgiven Moff, and am very pleased with him at the moment, as I'm sure he'd be delighted to know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, Moffat may have made a bit of a dog's breakfast of series 5 & 6, but series 7 has been wonderful so far, and last Christmas made up for The Doctor in Narnia, so I have forgiven Moff, and am very pleased with him at the moment, as I'm sure he'd be delighted to know.

Yes, I can honestly say I was't embarrassed. I'm not fond of the episode but most shows have episodes that aren't that great> I was talking about the show, not one specific episode.

And I, as do many others, love series 5 and 6, not everyone thinks Moffat made a mess of them.
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved Doctor Who in Narnia. Personally I found it a very special episode, exactly what I needed after a particularly tough year. I lost my Dad 6 months before and as a child he used to take me to stage productions of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe at Christmas time so this was a lovely mix of nostalgia, Fathers lost and found. I almost felt it had been written for me.

People react differently to different episodes because of where they are emotionally and what echoes it holds for them.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Doctor Who in Narnia. Personally I found it a very special episode, exactly what I needed after a particularly tough year. I lost my Dad 6 months before and as a child he used to take me to stage productions of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe at Christmas time so this was a lovely mix of nostalgia, Fathers lost and found. I almost felt it had been written for me.

People react differently to different episodes because of where they are emotionally and what echoes it holds for them.

its pretty hard to argue with a post like this. Kind of sums up the fact that whatever the common consensus might be you can never discount any episode because for someone it is always going to be special. As a true fan of 'Love and Monsters' I know this all too well.
  • Options
    bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    its pretty hard to argue with a post like this. Kind of sums up the fact that whatever the common consensus might be you can never discount any episode because for someone it is always going to be special. As a true fan of 'Love and Monsters' I know this all too well.

Exactly. I just wish people on here would understand that rather than having a go at people for liking/disliking any ep.
    I remember how the reaction on here post TDTW&TW made me feel really bad for liking it with some users calling people like me 'idiots' for enjoying it. It wasn't just one person either, it was a few and then it went into an anti-Moff debate which made me just stay away from here for a good while.

A similar sort of thing happened with A Town Called Mercy - I didn't like, the majority did and then some (I don't think they were regular users on here) just kept having a go at me and some others for not liking it.

Moff's era, whether its good or bad in your opinion is the one I love - yes some episodes are below par, but they aren't awful. All watchable and enjoyable in their own ways - just like RTD's. Yes, people can criticise an ep - that's only fair but the level it gets to on here goes too far and too personal at the man himself at times. That's just wrong and I wish that would stop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread looks a lot more balanced and back to normal now (phew).

There's no problem talking about possible errors etc and can be fun to try and come up with answers sometimes.

Some people seem to delight in using errors a some sort of conclusive proof that Moffat must be crap and should be sacked immediately. Even when most of their proof is incorrect and the rest really doesn't matter. I can find errors annoying sometimes, just as much as the next person. Seeing one writer get blamed for all that (and probably would get blamed for pearl harbour too or something) just makes me want to defend.

I can think of some errors myself, and hopefully people just want to talk about those little points rather than use it as something else. I thought the end of power of three was just a giant cop out. It made the episode seem a whole lot worse than what it should have for me,
  • Options
    AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why it's nice some of the nastier posts have disappeared and its all gone bck to being a reasonable discussion, because trying to come up with solutions to continuity errors is one thing but slagging each other and the show off is another. Ok so basically what killerbuzcut said.

Must admit I agree about The Power of Three - I didn't much like it though others did, but that doesn't spoil my love of the show.

Having been part of TWOP and the Arraon Sorkin saga it's far more fun to enjoy the show.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member

Narnia was rather sentimental but I found it to be a moving and emotional story, especially at the climax. I wasn't embarrassed at all. Except for the tears. Hmm. Oh yes, the tears. *cough* :o

:D

On balance I prefer the SM era over the RTD era and I love the "timey-wimey" and arc stuff. I recognise story weaknesses but I'm prepared to forgive a lot for such imaginative and witty writing.