Options

Aptitude test help

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello All

Not very often I start a new thread but was hoping someone would be able to help.

I have an interview next friday and part of the interview consists of an Aptitude (logic) test and numerical test.

I am not worried about taking it (actually a bit of a geek when it comes to doing logic puzzles etc !) but just wondered if anyone knew where I could try out sample tests for practice.

Can never be too prepared for an interview.

Thanking you !

Comments

• Options
    RatinhoRatinho Posts: 5,129
    Forum Member
    Maybe?

And you can be too prepared for an interviews. You want your mind clear when you go in, not thinking about all the crap you've tried to push into it over the last week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago my friends brother was going for an interview think he was about 17/18 he came home to his mum and said I need to do an aptitude test and he said thought he was going to fail because he didnt remember doing aptitudes in school! :eek: :rolleyes:

Wouldnt worry too much they are usually just common sense! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ratinho wrote:
    Maybe?

And you can be too prepared for an interviews. You want your mind clear when you go in, not thinking about all the crap you've tried to push into it over the last week.

Thank you - will have a try !

The interview itself doesn't bother me, always seem to do quite well, but by can't be too prepared I mean Knowing information about the company, the skills required - matching these to CV and current employment. The only thing I have never done before is a test - although I am looking forward to it - which is quite sad really !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am certainly not trying to scare you but the last one I did (also logic and maths) was actually really difficult.

For all of the questions in addition to the normal 5 choices there was also "none of the above" and "you cannot tell from the information provided".

It was also a very tight time scale - cant remember the exact numbers but it was about 60 Qs in 30 mins - I got to Q 59 on the maths with no chance to recheck my answers and was really worried but then speaking to others no one had finished and many had only got into the 30s. Actually got 58/60 on the test but never found out which one I had got wrong.

I dont really think you can practice for the tests - firstly you cant predict the style of the test (I had never seen one like my last one before) and problem solving/maths/logic tends to be more of a talent than learned skill.

To me the interview is much more important to think about and prepare for. Esp if there are common questions you know you hate - my personal hate is the "why should you be the person to get this job?". For the same job as the above test I had effectively written a 2 minute answer - my boss at the time had said it has to either be short and snappy or a 10 minute self sell and as I didnt like the question I went for option 1. Unfortuantly on the day I went through the interview and they didnt ask the question so I came out very happy but they then said I had 10 mins to prepare a 15 minute presentation for 10 senior managers on the topic of "I should get the job because......" with up to 10 minutes of questions afterwards. The questions were partly on the content but also on how you had decided to present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Astaroth wrote:
    Unfortuantly on the day I went through the interview and they didnt ask the question so I came out very happy but they then said I had 10 mins to prepare a 15 minute presentation for 10 senior managers on the topic of "I should get the job because......" with up to 10 minutes of questions afterwards. The questions were partly on the content but also on how you had decided to present.

AH !!! - OMG don't think this position is important enough to warrant that !
    Did you get the job ?

Agree that you can't know what kind of test you will get, I just thought if I tried out a few different types it may put me in the right mind set. I think I do have a natural gift for these kinds of tests (as long as it is numerical as they have said and not word tests) so hopefully should be O.K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Candy39 wrote:
    Did you get the job ?

Erm... sort of.... the role was a 2 year possition working around 4 different lower management roles (6 months in each) covering things like project management, team leader, HR, Marketing etc.

Before I heard back from the 2 year thing one of the senior managers who made up the selection comittee called me and said he wanted to offer me a role in his team at the sort of level which can be achieved by the some of those that do the 2 year thing but above most.

After I had accepted his job offer I then got a formal response on the 2 year thing saying that whilst I was one of the highest performing applicants that they didnt feel the course would suit me.
  • Options
    padpad Posts: 6,699
    Forum Member
    Candy39 wrote:
    Hello All

Not very often I start a new thread but was hoping someone would be able to help.

I have an interview next friday and part of the interview consists of an Aptitude (logic) test and numerical test.

I am not worried about taking it (actually a bit of a geek when it comes to doing logic puzzles etc !) but just wondered if anyone knew where I could try out sample tests for practice.

Can never be too prepared for an interview.

Thanking you !

Try googling for free IQ tests .. a lot of aptitude tests are quite similar.