The taboo topic of salary !

2»

Comments

• LushnessLushness Posts: 38,158
    Forum Member
    I would put a salary grievance in. Send it to HR then it will be formally investigated. Outline your tangible skills, experience and knowledge and ask for your salary to be reviewed inline with your new starter.

I don't know why employers do this, although I realise that sometimes it's justified. However the job market is buoyant from an employers perspective, most of the time when we interview we normally have more than one person who we can offer a job to. Even if we didn't we wouldn't allow ourselves to be dictated to by people. We have one person who is seriously trying to negotiate a 20% difference in salary compared to the existing staff team who actually have more experience. I'm sorry but if she doesn't like it we can very easily get someone else.
  • DavidTDavidT Posts: 20,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    I would put a salary grievance in. Send it to HR then it will be formally investigated. Outline your tangible skills, experience and knowledge and ask for your salary to be reviewed inline with your new starter.

I don't know why employers do this, although I realise that sometimes it's justified. However the job market is buoyant from an employers perspective, most of the time when we interview we normally have more than one person who we can offer a job to. Even if we didn't we wouldn't allow ourselves to be dictated to by people. We have one person who is seriously trying to negotiate a 20% difference in salary compared to the existing staff team who actually have more experience. I'm sorry but if she doesn't like it we can very easily get someone else.

I guess its partly down to how you view the employer and their attitude to their staff. A lot of employees will put up with a lot just to keep a job. Especially in this current economic climate. However if you need someone to come in to do a specific role you often have to pay the going rate to get the right person. You'd hope the employer would then be fair to everyone else.

I have been in a situation many years ago when year after year the employer came up with reason after reason why the couldn't give anyone a rise. Then they suddenly started losing a lot of staff because at that time there were plenty of similar jobs around paying much more. They suddenly then found the money to give everyone a decent rise.

But if one person is senior to another you would expect them to earn ore and if two people are doing the same job they should earn the same (assuming same levels of production etc).
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »

Employers do it because they can. The know that OP is unlikely to leave and loss all maternity benefits so from their point of view why pay her any more.

I would also say the Candy probably has not been involved with salary negotiations between the employer and new starter. Sorry Candy it would not surprise me if you are a bad negotiator. You should not be comparing yourself to your colleagues but focus on your own strengths. As mentioned by many people you are a pretty weak position at the moment and are unlikely to get anything changed. If you decide to come back to work then look at the situation then.
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi Candy, thank goodness I am now retired and out of all these kind of problems, but I have been in a similar position to yourself and to say I got pissed off is an understatement! I went ballistic. I was wondering whether you are in a union, they might be able to help, although they were no damn use to me. What I would say to you is this, if you enjoy your job and you like working where you are, then if you can, put it behind you. Just 'cause this new person is on more than you now, doesn't mean that she will be on more in, say, three years time. Talking to your boss might resolve the situation in your favour, but then again, your boss might not be bothered either way. It might be better to say nothing, keep working as hard as you always do, but look for another job. If other colleagues know you are being paid less and you act as if you are unconcerned, then they will be impressed by your maturity and you will gain respect. If you tell everyone and they see that you are hurt, you will lose respect. Either way, I feel for you. There's nothing worse than feeling undervalued.