Best adaption of a Stephen King story

laurence1870laurence1870 Posts: 213
Forum Member
Personal favourites are The Shining and Misery.

What's your favourite film adaption of a King novel or novella?

Comments

• Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shining's a good film - but a rubbish adaptation of the book. Even Stephen King rubbished it - that's why he made his own TV version where Jack Torrance is a much more sympathetic character than Jack Nicholson's.

Shawshank is good. Pet Sematary is good. Christine is good. The Dead Zone is good. Both Carrie's are quite good. The Running Man is good - though again not very true to the book. And The Stand is good - but hard going...
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had to pick one it would be Misery, but that's really for Kathy Bates' performance more than anything else. (I always thought that James Caan was (dare I say) a little wooden).

But close seconds are Dolores Claiborne & The Shawshank Redemption.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shining's a good film - but a rubbish adaptation of the book. Even Stephen King rubbished it - that's why he made his own TV version where Jack Torrance is a much more sympathetic character than Jack Nicholson's.

And it`s garbage. Kubrick took liberties with the adaptation but in doing so he created one of the finest horror films ever made. That King whined about it just shows how myopic he is when it comes to his work. Whenever he`s involved with adapting his own work the results are almost always abysmal.

The Mist is the best filmed King story.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    If I had to pick one it would be Misery, but that's really for Kathy Bates' performance more than anything else. (I always thought that James Caan was (dare I say) a little wooden).

But close seconds are Dolores Claiborne & The Shawshank Redemption.
    Straker wrote: »
    And it`s garbage. Kubrick took liberties with the adaptation but in doing so he created one of the finest horror films ever made. That King whined about it just shows how myopic he is when it comes to his work. Whenever he`s involved with adapting his own work the results are almost always abysmal.

The Mist is the best filmed King story.

Damn, I forgot about The Mist.
    Add that to my list as well please.
  • ErythroleukosErythroleukos Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about the worst adaptation? I guess either Tommyknockers would be near the top although the last episode of the storm of the century mini-series was pretty awful too.
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of those I've seen:

Best: The Shawshank Redemption. The Mist in B&W was pretty scary - I think about it sometimes when I go into the local supermarket on an evening - especially the doors that lead to the back:o

Worst: Salem's Lot - the book was much better.

ps if I was shipwrecked on a desert island with a cargo of Stephen King's books (as long as they hadn't got too damp) I would be perfectly happy for ever.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Personal favourites are The Shining and Misery.

What's your favourite film adaption of a King novel or novella?

the shining film adaptation is terrible. it just destroyed anything in the book and totally pissed me off

jack was NOT a monster

carrie is great and it as well

the green mile both book and film are both excellent
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stand By Me, an adaptation of The Body from Different Seasons. I have a soft spot for The Dead Zone, Creepshow, The Dark Half and Christine.

I haven't read the book, but Dreamcatcher is truly terrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Green Mile
    Shawshank
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good: The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, Misery

Bad: Dreamcatcher, The Mangler, Thinner, Hearts in Atlantis, Apt Pupil

Guilty Pleasures: Cat's Eye, Pet Semetary, IT, Cujo
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Kubrick took so many liberties with The Shining it barely counts as an adaption frankly. He just took certain key elements and forged the (brilliant) film he wanted out of them. Those wanting a much more direct translation and found themselves disappointed only have themselves to blame.

It still tops the list mind. With hearty nods for The Mist, Misery, Dolores Claiborne, Carrie, The Dead Zone, and the earlier version (Soul/Mason) of Salem's Lot*

* It's TV conventions show through here and there, but it's certainly memorable.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it would have to be

The Shawshank Redemtion
    The Green Mile
    Misery
  • patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Stand By Me
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

Zzzzzzz. The Shining and Kubrick for that matter are both overrated.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,258
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    Good: The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, Misery

Bad: Dreamcatcher, The Mangler, Thinner, Hearts in Atlantis, Apt Pupil

Guilty Pleasures: Cat's Eye, Pet Semetary, IT, Cujo

Completely agree with this list. If it wasn't for Tim Curry i think IT would go straight to everyone's bad list.

I'd also add 1408 to the good list.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    The Dead Zone.
  • yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shawshank, The Stand, IT, The Dead Zone, The Green Mile, The Mist, The Running Man, Salems Lot (both versions) are all good. Personal favourite is The Stand but that may be as its my favourite book of his.

Worst, if you can call it an adaption considering how much of the story it actually uses, has to be The Lawnmower Man. Though kudos to the makers as they managed to actually make a sequel that was even worse!!!!

Looking forward to 22.11.63 and, please, please The Dark Tower if they ever get made.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a thing to mention a little off topic, I will say that in my opinion, the film of Carrie is better than the book.

I suppose the favourite film is Shawshank, but that is just what most say, so I have another one which Brits perhaps have not seen.

Storm of the Century I found oddly stuck in the mind after seeing it. (it was a TV short series- a bit stretched out I suppose but in the end worked for me.
  • treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shawshank is good. Pet Sematary is good. Christine is good. The Dead Zone is good. Both Carrie's are quite good. The Running Man is good - though again not very true to the book. And The Stand is good - but hard going...

Well I've learnt something today.

I would have never guessed that Stephen King wrote 'The Running Man'.

A lot of people think that he's a horror writer but he's so much more.

I do wonder if he sleeps or leaves the house. He's a writing machine :)
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always found it strange that the best Stephen King adaptations were of his non-horror work.
  • ASIFZEDASIFZED Posts: 1,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stand By Me.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By My

These have the advantage of being novella's thus the screenplay, rather than having to cut stuff out like many King adaptations (due to time constraints) are actually able to develop and expand on the basic concept. They are actually, imho, the only cases were the adaptations are actually superior to the source material.

Although thats not to say that there haven't been a lot of successful adaptations from longer novels.

That said, in regard the OP, while The Shining is a fine film in it's own right, it fails for me in terms of being a successful adaption of the novel because it isn't really in the spirit of the source material. I tend to see it as a seperate entity.

Other notable adaptions for me: Misery, The Dead Zone, The Green Mile, Carrie, The Mist, The Stand (mini series), Under the Dome (tv series)

And the worst: Dreamcatcher, Apt Pupil, The Langoliers (mini series)
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I always found it strange that the best Stephen King adaptations were of his non-horror work.

I think King tends to get pigeon holed too much as a horror writer, his output to me is lot more varied. One thing thats key in his work is that he is an excellent character writer, which I think adds a lot of reliability to his characters, hence his films that tend to do well are often those that depend on the audience identifying strongly with the main characters, and these do tend to be more drama type adaptations.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not strictly an adaptation, but I've always had a soft spot for Creepshow. It captured the tone of the EC Horror comics much better than the official film and TV versions.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to say something about The Shining. Firstly, one of the things I most remember as impressive was when the boy became terrified in the hotel corridor, at nothing. He was just scared, for no reason, as happens when you're a child. Difficult to see how you can do that well in film.

Second, the topiary garden was changed to a maze, which was rather a must: at least, in a film you could bring a hedge to life but it would be risible, and the freezing in the maze worked beautifully.

I do not agree with some critical opinion that the character of the boy and his relationship with the hotel man was radically different and the oft stated thing about the film losing the supernatural to me is just untrue, I think it can only be said by people who are unfamiliar with the book and just invent a criticism.

But the two basic points are that film can satisfactorily not do things that happen in people's minds, and that the original garden thing would not work on film because it is too daft.