Options

Have you ever felt cheated by a soap storyline?

Comments

• Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Also patrick seems to have accepted Maxine is now with his son.

I can believe that he would give up on her; she cheated on him with his son and he believes (wrongly) that she drugged him-twice. I don't think he's accepted it as such but he considers Maxine a failure and hence not worth chasing after.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    I really wanted Walker to be gay and really love Brendan! The HO Later that year was awesome. i've still got them all recorded.

Oh, me too. :blush: I thought it would've been fab if Walker had gone in hating Brendan and ending up fancying him in spite of himself. They were such a brilliant pairing. They could have ruled that village together. :cool: Ah well. What we got was good, and disturbing, but I prefer my version.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 'Fourth Death' in the Tram Crash S/L being an unknown taxi driver

To be fair, that was a fault of the publicity rather than the storyline itself.
  • Options
    patrick95patrick95 Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Majority of EastEnders storylines at the moment seem to start with such inital promise and then fade out with no aftermath or real conclusion -

-Sharon revenge and Phil shooting -

-Carol cancer

-Masood dark side
  • Options
    jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    Silas' storyline in Hollyoaks - I was so excited for the aftermath but when Silas killed Heidi, I immediately felt cheated. I really wanted to see Heidi's reaction that her precious father is a serial killer. Silas was one of the best villains ever and it's an utter shame that we never saw Heidi's reaction. The Costellos left the show abruptly after Silas' secret was out.

Ronnie and Danielle - I wanted to see Ronnie's motherly side to Danielle.
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, some credible anti climaxes mentioned here so far re EE but the biggest one of all time in the show for me was the ridiculous killing off of Danielle!

As other posters have said, months of build up to storyline, the Danielle revelation to the audience via the locket, followed by the increasing tension as the reveal got through to Archie some months later - and the tension/realisation felt particularly throughout the climatic Peggy/Archie wedding episode....only for the whole thing to come to nothing - a huge disappointment :( People at the time argued that had Danielle lived there wouldn't have been that shock factor re her being run over but for me and many others it was such a waste of a potentially great, happy ever after storyline and would've cut out a lot of the highly unlikely/bore storylines for Ronnie thereafter, most of all the infamous babyswap!! The Danielle aftermath was pretty good but there should have been no aftermath - as they should have kept the gal alive!
  • Options
    Littlegreen42Littlegreen42 Posts: 19,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Billy robbing peoples mail.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jamesc_715 wrote: »
    Silas' storyline in Hollyoaks - I was so excited for the aftermath but when Silas killed Heidi, I immediately felt cheated. I really wanted to see Heidi's reaction that her precious father is a serial killer. Silas was one of the best villains ever and it's an utter shame that we never saw Heidi's reaction. The Costellos left the show abruptly after Silas' secret was out.

I miss the Costellos :(

I don't mind him killing Heidi as he got comeuppance in the worst possible way. We needed to see Silas lose.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patrick95 wrote: »
    Majority of EastEnders storylines at the moment seem to start with such inital promise and then fade out with no aftermath or real conclusion -

-Sharon revenge and Phil shooting -

-Carol cancer

-Masood dark side

Sharon's 'revenge' and revival into a Watts, then devolving back to a dumb Mitchell is the one that pissed me off most but I do agree with the others too.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    Freddie's non death in hollyoaks plus in the thread it described that the shown stuff was medically wrong anyway
    The lift falling when it couldn't have unreality
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Carla and Tina showdown in Corrie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Freddie's non death in hollyoaks plus in the thread it described that the shown stuff was medically wrong anyway
    The lift falling when it couldn't have unreality

The hospital siege was abysmal. It wasn't comic or dramatic, it was just dull and only proved how useless Freddie is as a character and how faithless Lindsey is. She doesn't have any chemistry with Freddie; the writers are stupid to force them together because it just isn't believable. It's like Nancy and Rick; what motivation did Nancy have to cheat, apart from as a revenge act?
  • Options
    Dawn_ThomasDawn_Thomas Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    For me, The current Emmerdale storyline with Declan and Charity has been a let down. I was hoping there would be a twist, and was thinking maybe Declan had died, and Megan knew that, but said it was Robbie to scare Charity, and make her have some kind of breakdown.

But the revelation Declan is still alive at the end of last night's episode kind of made me dissapointed. It was too obvious. Even Megan said he was still alive last week.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    CORRIE: Michelle's son Ryan - huh? What's happened to her real son? A deliberately forgotten story! ("Don't worry - the viewers will forget it!")

CROSSROADS (1960's): A witchcraft storyline was building up...but the ITC decided it was too scary for teatime viewing - so the story was suddenly dropped!

EMMERDALE: Whatever happened to Elizabeth Pollard and Archie after the plane crash? Their bodies were never found!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    The hospital siege was abysmal. It wasn't comic or dramatic, it was just dull and only proved how useless Freddie is as a character and how faithless Lindsey is. She doesn't have any chemistry with Freddie; the writers are stupid to force them together because it just isn't believable. It's like Nancy and Rick; what motivation did Nancy have to cheat, apart from as a revenge act?

`I didn't understand her motivation
    The only answer I can give would get me a suspension for its crudity
    But it's yet another example of bad writing
    Ste plus George/Sinead, Nancy and rick are all examples of pairings that made zero sense to me, it felt like it was written for the shock value, like Ziggy and Tegan supposedly having sex?? Ziggy is meant to be in love with that silly Leela plus the Doctor Who namings made me groan
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danielle's death in EastEnders, most definitely.
    I would have loved to have seen the aftermath of Ronnie finding out if Danielle hadn't died.

The conclusion of Mitzeee vs. Mercedes in Hollyoaks and then Mitzeee's exit.
    Mercedes' trial was ridiculous and unrealistic, and it annoyed me so much that she got away with it all.
    I would have loved to have seen some sort of revenge from Mitzeee, but it was just dropped and then Mitzeee wasn't given the exit the character deserved.

Also, Charlie's death in Home and Away.
    I didn't feel cheated exactly, but it was so sad and Ruby and Brax afterwards were just heartbreaking.
    I wish it hadn't happened, but I suppose it was the only way for Charlie to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    `I didn't understand her motivation
    The only answer I can give would get me a suspension for its crudity
    But it's yet another example of bad writing
    Ste plus George/Sinead, Nancy and rick are all examples of pairings that made zero sense to me, it felt like it was written for the shock value, like Ziggy and Tegan supposedly having sex?? Ziggy is meant to be in love with that silly Leela plus the Doctor Who namings made me groan

I don't understand why all of a sudden Tegan became interested in Ziggy and why so many of the residents are keen to prostitute themselves to characters who they've barely given a nod to, let alone the other!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I don't understand why all of a sudden Tegan became interested in Ziggy and why so many of the residents are keen to prostitute themselves to characters who they've barely given a nod to, let alone the other!

Sex sells plus terrible writing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sex sells plus terrible writing

Nothing sexy about any of these affairs or relationships!

The writing atm in Hollyoaks is terrible. They should get writers who actually know the storylines/can be bothered to research the characters. Many characters bear no resemblance to their original appearance.

The Blakes have suffered particularly strongly with their original backstory sidelined in order to make way for the paternity twist and Sienna's endless schemes. Lindsey has also suffered with the ridiculous love triangle. Even though the family were introduced with the potential love triangle, it was clear that the triangle no longer made sense because Lindsey and Joe were too committed as a couple.

With people saying that no one in Hollyoaks gets any justice, all soaps have a difficult situation. If you're doing a big storyline such as rape/murder, you're going to want to give it to your strongest actors. However, if they are brought to justice for their crimes, it means they have to leave the show/be put on a long hiatus and probably not come back. I'd rather see characters believably evade justice than get rid of good actors- particularly as Hollyoaks mostly has bad/average actors.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it's just soap
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    No, it's just soap

You're too sensible for this forum. :D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sharon's revenge has been a huge damp squib - and now it looks as if she will be a bloody Mitchell for the long haul.

Philth has yet again gotten everything that he wanted (but does not deserve).
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    The Maxine/Patrick abuse storyline.

He could drag her into the middle of village and beat her black and blue but nobody would say anything and the storyline is now being absorbed into yet another convoluted and tiresome Sienna scheme.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyWastedAPerfectlyGoodPlot
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member

He could drag her into the middle of village and beat her black and blue but nobody would say anything and the storyline is now being absorbed into yet another convoluted and tiresome Sienna scheme.

True. I will never for the life of me understand why Patrick wasn't arrested at his wedding and why everything he had done to Maxine wasn't made public knowledge. It was like oh ok, he batters her, well nevermind, what's next. Pathetic. Why have several months of build up for that?
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member

Oh LOL, that's brilliant. TV tropes always nails it.
    srhgts wrote: »
    True. I will never for the life of me understand why Patrick wasn't arrested at his wedding and why everything he had done to Maxine wasn't made public knowledge. It was like oh ok, he batters her, well nevermind, what's next. Pathetic. Why have several months of build up for that?

Because so many of the cast have walked that they were desperate to get the actor to sign on the dotted line again? So on it all goes. Great, isn't it, that a domestic abuser gets to walk around the village like none of it ever happened? And everyone knows, and no one cares. Wonderfully inspiring for abuse victims.