What are you reading at the moment? (Part 4)

Comments

• RyJaRyJa Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tudor Wife by Emily Purdy.

It's pants. The worst description of Anne Boleyn I think I've ever read.

It was on special offer :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Heart of the Demon by Michael Fowler
  • wildphantom!wildphantom! Posts: 561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ultimatum - Simon Kernick.

Read all of his books so far and looks like he's moved away from a traditional crime novel to large-scale terrorist attacks on the country following on from his last novel Siege.

Just started it and its already hooking me in!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Tiger, Tiger by Melvin Burgess

I know it's classed as young teen fiction but it's for nostalgia! I bought it second hand on eBay along with The Cry of the Wolf and Bloodtide.
  • ReddybookReddybook Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Seduction In Death - J.D. Robb
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Jessie Keane - Nameless
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've finished The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan. I didn't really enjoy it all.

My next audiobook is Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, narrated by John Chancer.
  • catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mary Higgins Clark - The Lost Years

Gill Paul - Women And Children First
  • ImaPlumImaPlum Posts: 6,072
    Forum Member
    Just read A Street Cat Named Bob by James Bowen. Thought I'd read it as it's different to my usual sort of book. It was a nice heart-warming story - a story quite simply told, no bells and whistles, enjoyable though :)

Now I'm really happy though as Jasper Fforde's The Woman Who Died a Lot arrived yesterday and I made a little start on it last night. I always go into his books now confident that I'm going to enjoy them and I've not been disappointed yet! :D
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Lushness wrote: »
    Just finished: The Rose Petal Beach and The Woman he loved before by Dorothy Koomson and also about to finish Where are you Now, Mary Higgins Clark.

I'm starting the Jack Reacher series next, starting with Killing Floor

Oh how I wish I could start the Reacher series all over again instead of waiting for the new one to come out !

I just finished A Dark Matter by Peter Straub and I couldn't wait for it to be over ... truly dire. If this is horror, then it's horror for 5 year olds. Shame on you Stephen King for recommending it.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Just over halfway through Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Great stuff. Sort of guessed the big revelation she's just dished out, though I suspect there's far greater deviousness on its way. The socioeconomic backdrop feels a tad over-egged here and there, but as a thumping, unputdownable thriller it's hard to fault so far.
  • Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finished White Teeth by Zadia Smith at lunch. Didn't really enjoy it all that much, felt like it struggled to do what it set out to do.

Will be moving on to 'Salems Lot by Stephen King this afternoon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current print book is "What my best friend did" by Lucy Dawson. Really enjoying it so far. Alice is stagnating in her job and her life when she meets Gretchen, who soon enlivens and enriches her world, turning it upside down. Gretchen isnt quite what she appears though. Mostly a story about how female friendships can ebb and turn, its pretty compelling.

My current kindle book is "You're Next" by gregg hurwitz. People keep telling me to read his books and this is my first attempt. Pretty good so far. Mike, abandoned by his Dad when he was 4, comes up through the social system and makes a pretty good job of his life after some hiccups. However his past comes back to haunt him.

Had just finished "The Two" by Will Carver. Sadly did not live up to "Girl 4" his first novel, the supernatural element was too over egged in this and didnt really make much sense. Not bad but was disappointed.
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I've finished The Thirty-Nine Steps by John Buchan. I didn't really enjoy it all.

My next audiobook is Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, narrated by John Chancer.

Quite enjoyed The 39 Steps, easy read, the old movie was better mind you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just over halfway through Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.

Great stuff. Sort of guessed the big revelation she's just dished out, though I suspect there's far greater deviousness on its way. The socioeconomic backdrop feels a tad over-egged here and there, but as a thumping, unputdownable thriller it's hard to fault so far.

This is my current read, too, and I'm liking it but agree with you about the social commentary being driven home perhaps a touch too hard.
    I'm hoping for a good twist at the end.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »

My current kindle book is "You're Next" by gregg hurwitz. People keep telling me to read his books and this is my first attempt. Pretty good so far. Mike, abandoned by his Dad when he was 4, comes up through the social system and makes a pretty good job of his life after some hiccups. However his past comes back to haunt him.

I really enjoyed that book. It was pretty original, which is hard to do when most things have been covered hundreds of times before!

I'm currently reading Wool by Hugh Howey. Very late to the party on this one, it's a collection of 5 novellas which are part of a series but have now been put together as one whole book. I'm totally hooked, it's a very good dystopian story about a large group of people living in an underground silo due to the world being uninhabitable, toxic air etc.

The only people to get out are those guilty of a 'crime' and are banished outside, but they can only survive long enough outside to clean the camera lenses which provide those inside with a view of the outside world. Which leads you to wonder, why does each person that is sent outside go through with cleaning the cameras, when they've been thrown out to their death, so why do those inside a favour?
  • goldberry1goldberry1 Posts: 2,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm reading: The Real Band of Brothers by Max Arthur - first hand accounts from the last British survivors of those who fought in the International Brigades in the Spanish Civil War - it's a fantastic and a moving book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    This is my current read, too, and I'm liking it but agree with you about the social commentary being driven home perhaps a touch too hard.
    I'm hoping for a good twist at the end.

I was not disappointed in the ending - I thought it was pretty perfect really, considering how the characters came across during the whole of the book, I wouldnt say it was unexpected but definitely satisfying. Will look forward to hearing your thoughts when you are done :)

I loved Gone Girl, hope her next one is as good. I read her previous books after getting this one and was a bit disappointed with them.
    poppycat wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that book. It was pretty original, which is hard to do when most things have been covered hundreds of times before!

Its really well written in that I don't want to stop now I've started :D

I've got another of his on my kindle as well.
    goldberry1 wrote: »
    I'm reading: The Real Band of Brothers by Max Arthur - first hand accounts from the last British survivors of those who fought in the International Brigades in the Spanish Civil War - it's a fantastic and a moving book.

I read that a while back, its brilliant.
  • IphigeniaIphigenia Posts: 8,109
    Forum Member
    Just started reading Les Miserables in French. I've seen the film, felt ashamed I'd never read the original!
  • Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite enjoyed The 39 Steps, easy read, the old movie was better mind you.

I was quite looking forward to this book and knew that it would be "of its time". I quite enjoyed the old fashioned language and could forgive the appalling attitude to the lower classes and foreigners.

At the very start of the book I couldn't see why Hannay would give Scudder shelter and believe his story.Things went downhill from that point onwards for me, with a series of unbelievable events and coincidences!

I saw the Rupert Penry-Jones BBC version a couple of years ago and have a 1950s version with Kenneth More recorded on the PVR to watch. I think that the 1930s B & W Hitchcock version is supposed to be the best though?
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Finished Odd Hours by Dean Koontz, just starting Woman in Black, which l bought some time ago and then forgot l had it!.
  • mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got stuck as to what to read next, so Re-reading 'The Shell Seekers' - Rosamunde Pilcher
    Love this book, and on my 2nd copy :rolleyes: pages were falling out of my first ... love it :D
  • SilvioDanteSilvioDante Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue_C wrote: »
    I was quite looking forward to this book and knew that it would be "of its time". I quite enjoyed the old fashioned language and could forgive the appalling attitude to the lower classes and foreigners.

At the very start of the book I couldn't see why Hannay would give Scudder shelter and believe his story.Things went downhill from that point onwards for me, with a series of unbelievable events and coincidences!

I saw the Rupert Penry-Jones BBC version a couple of years ago and have a 1950s version with Kenneth More recorded on the PVR to watch. I think that the 1930s B & W Hitchcock version is supposed to be the best though?

I enjoyed the Kenneth More movie version, I've another couple of John Buchan freebies on Kindle, the author is "of his time" in history right enough. Quaint as they say
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About to start The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton. It's quite a hefty book but has had some very good reviews. Looking forward to it.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 29,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just started reading Disappear by Iain Edward Henn. so far its very good.