Options

Sam Allerdyce

ch958ch958 Posts: 188
Forum Member
i am sorry sam has joined the ranks of managers who point their arms during play as though they are conducting an orchestra or directing a play

the players see and hear nothing of this and it is purely for the benefit of watching directors

there are a couple of european bosses who started this - can't remember names but its nothing but an act

Comments

• Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The players probably can see it.
  • Options
    Parric74Parric74 Posts: 1,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? :confused:

For many years managers have been pointing during the game. They are basically reminding their players to keep focus or to push down the pitch while they are still ahead. Hence today with Big Sam, West Ham would have taken their foot off the gas if he hadn't reminded them to push forward.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ch958 wrote: »
    i am sorry sam has joined the ranks of managers who point their arms during play as though they are conducting an orchestra or directing a play

the players see and hear nothing of this and it is purely for the benefit of watching directors

there are a couple of european bosses who started this - can't remember names but its nothing but an act

Of course the players see and hear it and respond.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    trust me they can neither see or hear it - its chaos on a football pitch - i played non league and its impossible to concentrate on the game and look at the bench all the time
    the chances of hearing a single voice in a premiership ground is zero

they're just trying to con the directors
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Players are in contact with the bench throughout a game, you've gone mad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i probably havent explained this very well - yes there is contact but what i'm talking about is a theatrical performance for the directors

maybe you guys havent noticed it - one of the pundits on telly mentioned it a while ago too

just look out for it you'll see what i mean
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im confused. Directors? Hasn't he done this since his days at Bolton?
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love these kind of nonsense threads. They brighten my day.

If the managers truly are performing theatre for the directors, then I personally want to see a bit more effort or versatility. Perhaps an entire Shakespearean tragedy performed entirely through mime? Or perhaps both managers could work together and try a duologue that would encapsulate the body of work by Pinter?
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hear the directors get together at the end of the season and hand out awards for

Best dramatic performance
    Most emotion performance
    Best comedy performance (Wenger has won this for last 5 years)
    The SAF award for best angry stare at a official

Some people really have way to much time on their hands when it comes to football. They need to find another hobby
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always wondered why the technical area is so large? Surely the closely it is to the pitch the more the manager is likely to gesticulate and shout to try to influence the referee. Whereas if he has to remain next to where the bench is, he can rant and rave all he likes.
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trust me they can neither see or hear it - its chaos on a football pitch - i played non league and its impossible to concentrate on the game and look at the bench all the time
    the chances of hearing a single voice in a premiership ground is zero

they're just trying to con the directors

Maybe that's why you were playing non-league?

My understanding is that managers will normally have their 'Generals' on the pitch, and it will be them, that they direct their instructions at, rather than randomly shouting instructions. Unless there is something specific that they want to tell a particular player, then you'll see and hear them shouting his name until they have his attention, then relay the message.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    i probably havent explained this very well - yes there is contact but what i'm talking about is a theatrical performance for the directors

maybe you guys havent noticed it - one of the pundits on telly mentioned it a while ago too

just look out for it you'll see what i mean

Are you ok?
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    I am sure those closest to the manager can hear and if need to pass the message on..
  • Options
    Slainte MhathSlainte Mhath Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    There was a game on TV when Tony Pulis was still at Stoke and there's no way in hell you can convince me that no-one playing could hear him.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    If you've ever sat in the stands near the front watching a premiership game you will know it's quite easy to hear players/staff shouting. That might be because I've watched most games at Man City though...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's never suffered relegation so frankly all those who criticize him can jog on
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    He's never suffered relegation so frankly all those who criticize him can jog on

The main criticism from West Ham fans appears to be because of his style of play. Although they appear to be living in some La-La land where West Ham should play like Barcelona.