Alex - 1 Year break

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just heard interview with Car Deeley on radio 2 - saying that they really want to do things properly with Alex and that she will probably take a year to meet producers get good dongs etc etc
Has anyone else heard this - a one year break is it true !!

Comments

• trolllogictrolllogic Posts: 754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - Alex said something similar on Ri-se this morning. She mentioned going away for 6 months or more.

Good news - it is necessary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we've been discussing this on the Alex Appreciation Thread (and there's a link to a radio 1 article in there saying the same thing). It's really really good news. Ruby was saying that she'd spoken to the Polydor press office this morning, and the only stuff planned so far for Alex is a single and video (possibly more news next week). I wonder if they've dropped the idea of the covers album after all? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Can`t see this happening - purely from a financial point of view. She`s under contract to polydor for a year........they`ll want her to release more in a year than a single and album covers surely?

I think she said she wanted to go back to Cornwall and write her songs for 6 months. Another big mistake. She can`t write structured songs.

Oh well.......time will tell.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Candy39
    ... she will probably take a year to meet producers get good dongs etc etc ...

I didn't think that Alex was interested in DONGS

:o:D:D:o

(Sorry I really am. I just couldn't resist it!)

DAVE
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 51,223
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by AgingRocker
    I didn't think that Alex was interested in DONGS

:o:D:D:o

(Sorry I really am. I just couldn't resist it!)

DAVE

LOL!;) :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds like they're sending Cat Deeley on the rounds to leak their grand plans for Alex - radio 1 yesterday, radio 2 today......;)
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it's true it's a stupid idea. Sinead anyone?

They may have worthy thoughts about giving her time at the moment but watch them drop her like a hot potato if her first album doesn't sell because everyone's forgotten about her and moved on to the next big thing. :(
  • misterpartridgemisterpartridge Posts: 3,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by geraniums
    I think she said she wanted to go back to Cornwall and write her songs for 6 months. Another big mistake. She can`t write structured songs.

Perhaps that's why it's a good idea to spend six months writing?

I would agree that she has a problem with structure - *but* with the caveat that everything I heard her sing from the Academy (thanks to Edman's wonderful site) was just her and an acoustic guitar. That automatically makes any song longer than a couple of minutes sound like it's a bit of a bore. Instrumentation can do a hell of a lot of stuff. But, yeah, I agree that she needs to work on that side of things. I'd just like to see her collaborating with someone who knows where she's coming from, rather than some boyband hack.

Partridge (who bought a Jane Siberry album he's been looking for for ages today)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Plant

Lemar anyone? Ainslie anyone, even? I think it's a very good idea - if they do it. If she waits a year, say, the show will have got her the contract, the contacts, preferably a few credible collaborators and hopefully a cracking album. It will have got rid of much of the reality TV stigma, and the media will be able to treat her work pretty much without that hanging round it. I think that's precisely the approach Ainslie is trying to take, too: get the deal, a bit of attention, and the chance to work with the lads from James. Then let the work speak for itself.
  • pettawpettaw Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They may have worthy thoughts about giving her time at the moment but watch them drop her like a hot potato if her first album doesn't sell because everyone's forgotten about her and moved on to the next big thing. :(

I agree, Cat Deeley said at least a year. Thats basically record company speak for 'I don't know what the #### to do with you, but I like you and think you're gonna be huge' Her style of songs is not the type to be produced by 'factory music' outlets, so it means she's really got to write it herself, and thats difficult, because the songs she has at the moment, no amount of production is going to make them into hit records.

Yes Lemar spent time away, but if you count the time, its only about 7 months. Gareth and Will did exactly the same thing, taking plenty of time to get the right writers in to get good albums out, but none of them took a year, and with the music industry being so transient at the moment, people may not want to know.

Of course I could be completely wrong and she could come back in a year's time with such a good album it could take on the world, but while thats what I really hope for - because it would be a shame to get such a good performer and then #### it up - I'm not sure its gonna happen.

As always the ultimate test is time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by misterpartridge
    Lemar anyone? Ainslie anyone, even? I think it's a very good idea - if they do it. If she waits a year, say, the show will have got her the contract, the contacts, preferably a few credible collaborators and hopefully a cracking album. It will have got rid of much of the reality TV stigma, and the media will be able to treat her work pretty much without that hanging round it. I think that's precisely the approach Ainslie is trying to take, too: get the deal, a bit of attention, and the chance to work with the lads from James. Then let the work speak for itself.

Will Ainslie be allowed to release his album though? Everyone is assuming he will, I'm not so sure at the moment.

But, yes, Lemar is a good example, but he is working in an area of music that is fashionable at the moment. The timing is totally right for him. (personal view: I also think he is a lot more talented than Alex).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    (personal view: I also think he is a lot more talented than Alex).
    I think that's your personal taste though. Wasn't Paris your favorite this year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she is going to ground for a year then what was the point of the free publicity of her being on this show? Especially if in her case it is just a stigma she needs to shake off. Even if it isn't then surely the effect of heavy TV exposure will fade soon and the advantage will be lost. Looking at it from a business perspective, Polydor might just as well have grabbed her from the auditions and signed her anyway, and left her place on the show for someone else, maybe less lasting, but quicker in exploiting the promotional surge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by neverwhere
    I think that's your personal taste though. Wasn't Paris your favorite this year?

No, I wasn't really into Lemar. Paris was my favourite this time but I don't tend to go for the students who play the type of music I'm normally into. If I did I'd have loved Peter and Ainslie. That's what's great about FA, it opens you up to other musical genres.

But yes, it is my personal view which is why I labelled it as such, but I also think it's the generally accepted view. Lemar's talent has never been challenged anywhere even amongst people who hate FA. Alex is slightly different, I've already read two newspaper columnists this week questioning whether she can sing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Candy39
    Just heard interview with Car Deeley on radio 2 - saying that they really want to do things properly with Alex and that she will probably take a year to meet producers get good dongs etc etc
    Has anyone else heard this - a one year break is it true !!

Hmm...this seems to confirm there won't be an FA3 then...FA2's winner's album will be coming out around the time FA3's winner would have been announced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am I the only one who finds this extremely disappointing? I mean...yep it's promising, as she would likely have great material when she did launch herself. But I'm not that patient...:(
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by geraniums
    Perhaps that's why it's a good idea to spend six months writing?

I would agree that she has a problem with structure - *but* with the caveat that everything I heard her sing from the Academy (thanks to Edman's wonderful site) was just her and an acoustic guitar. That automatically makes any song longer than a couple of minutes sound like it's a bit of a bore. Instrumentation can do a hell of a lot of stuff. But, yeah, I agree that she needs to work on that side of things. I'd just like to see her collaborating with someone who knows where she's coming from, rather than some boyband hack.

Partridge (who bought a Jane Siberry album he's been looking for for ages today)

Oh?...

....I thought she was already a talented superstar.
    I thought she had X-factors by the bucketload.

Now we hear she can't write songs.
    Now she's boring when she does anything over a couple of minutes.
    Now we hear that she needs to take a break to get some talent.

It's a far cry from the overenthusiastic claims we heard on Fame Academy.
    She will "change the face of the British music scene"....

...In a year's time, when she might be good enough.

Needs a year's break?...I thought she was better than all the other acts out there already?..So I was told.

Do you think all the other music acts around today need a year's break?..Or are they already good enough to release records?
  • MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Alrightmate
    Oh?...

....I thought she was already a talented superstar.
    I thought she had X-factors by the bucketload.

Now we hear she can't write songs.
    Now she's boring when she does anything over a couple of minutes.
    Now we hear that she needs to take a break to get some talent.

It's a far cry from the overenthusiastic claims we heard on Fame Academy.

...In a year's time, when she might be good enough.

Needs a year's break?...I thought she was better than all the other acts out there already?..So I was told.

Do you think all the other music acts around today need a year's break?..Or are they already good enough to release records?

That's a good point....I was under the impression Alex was ready to storm the charts.....Now it looks suspiciously like she's off for 6 months intensive training a a total PR overhaul.....
  • EddyBeeEddyBee Posts: 45,593
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by trolllogic
    Yes - Alex said something similar on Ri-se this morning. She mentioned going away for 6 months or more.

Good news - it is necessary.

Why is it necessary ? Is she perhaps not good enough ? Should she have entered the FA next year, when ready ? Are the music people shitting bricks at the dud that they bought the prize for ? Was Carrie talking shite ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Alrightmate

Well, I never argued that! I've been saying for a while she should take some time.

And plenty of artists take six months off to write an album. That's much more common - and sensible - than rushing something off in a month.
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by neverwhere

Relevance ?
    Forum Member
    Well, I never argued that! I've been saying for a while she should take some time....

Have you really or are you just saying that ?
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Eejay
    Why is it necessary ? Is she perhaps not good enough ? Should she have entered the FA next year, when ready ? Are the music people shitting bricks at the dud that they bought the prize for ? Was Carrie talking shite ?

It would have been clearer if Carrie had told everyone that she wouldn't be any good without 6 months extra training.....Unless it's to undo Carrie's work of course.....
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Mesostim
    It would have been clearer if Carrie had told everyone that she wouldn't be any good without 6 months extra training.....Unless it's to undo Carrie's work of course.....

Carrie has, once again, proved herself to be a total humbug ! Of course, I've been saying that all along. :D
    Forum Member
    It is confusing though isn't it....A stream of celebs and artists lined up to say how fantastic Alex is...she made "Imagine" her own for goodness sake....and she still isn't good enough????:confused::confused: