Options

Sequels that start almost immediately after previous film...

2»

Comments

• Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) picks up from where Frankenstein (1931) ended.
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hellraiser 2
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically all of the Harry Potter films - they all end at the end of a school year and the next one starts a few weeks later at the most.

And of course Deathly Hallows part 2 starts minutes after part 1 ends.

The second and third Lord of the Rings movies are the same if you exclude the prologue-type bits like the flashback to Sméagol's early life...
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each Phantasm sequel resolved the previous film's cliffhanger and then jumped ahead a few years.
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fickrick wrote: »
    didn't the Bourne Ultimatum take place in effect towards the end of The Bourne Supremacy!

It does. Most of Ultimatum is actually in the missing 6 months between the penultimate and final scenes of Supremacy. Confused? Well, the 4th entry into the series, Bourne Legacy, mostly takes place during these 6 months also, only really ending shortly after the events of Bourne Ultimatum have taken place. You even see some of these events from a different point of view.
    In short, all 4 films take place over 3 years. I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    The Exorcist > Exorcist III: Legion
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Superman and Superman II - in the Donner version of Superman II the missile that Superman deflects into outer space (in film 1) hit the phantom zone and released the three villans thus linking the two films.
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rotor1999 wrote: »
    The Exorcist > Exorcist III: Legion

Legion begins fifteen years after the events of The Exorcist. :confused:
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sequel to The Raid: Redemption (which isn't out yet) takes place 10 minutes after the final scene in the original.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The second and third films in Steig Larssons 'Millenium Trilogy'
    'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest' picks up a few minutes after the end of 'The Girl Who Played With Fire'.
    I believe Daniel Craig and co are planning to make these,but I have the original Swedish versions,and they are superb,with Noomi Rapace as Salander.Much better than the Hollywood version of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' which is the first of the trilogy,obviously!
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As most have been mentioned already, can I flip it slightly?

What about The Thing (2011) & The Thing (1982)?

The 2011 film, as we all know, is a prequel, but its ending leads seamlessly into the 1982 film, almost as if it is the exact same film.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sequel, retitled Invasion of the Body Snatchers starts with an end scene from the original, with the same bloke in it.
  • Options
    LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As already mentioned, Back to the Future runs immediately into Part 2. Of course, as the part of Jennifer had been re-cast for the sequel, they were fores to re-shoot the last few minutes of the original film. The continuity is amazing for 5 years later!

Considering your username, you've probably already seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7unIVflJaLQ
    fickrick wrote:
    didn't the Bourne Ultimatum take place in effect towards the end of The Bourne Supremacy!

Not nearly as neat as BTTF:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWayGjvAveU
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A couple of the Saw films do
    And a couple
    run concurrently. (In spoiler tags because you don't realise until the end that's what's happening. Several of the films' twists involve time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    It's not out yet, but Catching Fire (part of the Hunger Games trilogy) takes place a few months after the events of The Hunger Games. Does this count?
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    The main criteria is: time gap must be immediate or a few days/weeks minimum (not months or years), and could you in principal splice end and beginning together as one film?

Sadly, no :).
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking who's talking and look who's talking too!
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dracula has Risen from the Grave......Taste the Blood of Dracula.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    'The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest' picks up a few minutes after the end of 'The Girl Who Played With Fire'.
    I believe Daniel Craig and co are planning to make these,but I have the original Swedish versions,and they are superb,with Noomi Rapace as Salander.Much better than the Hollywood version of 'The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo' which is the first of the trilogy,obviously!

Great trilogy, I have seen the remake, and it wasn't as good.

Does 28 Weeks Later count?
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    axlgod wrote: »
    Rocky II
    Rocky III
    Rocky IV
    Rocky V

It's gist a shame stallone's kid plays rocky's son in all those movies. It makes him looks as if he has some crazy accelertated premature ageing condition.....;):D
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does 28 Weeks Later count?

Sadly, no :)
    jeff_vader wrote: »
    The main criteria is: time gap must be immediate or a few days/weeks minimum (not months or years)

I'm beginning to regret extending day(s) to weeks :D
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Bill and Teds 2 start? Cannot imagine it was straight after the ceremony but really cant recall the first few scenes?
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did Bill and Teds 2 start? Cannot imagine it was straight after the ceremony but really cant recall the first few scenes?

I think it's years after isn't it? Haven't seen it in ages but doesn't it start with them being good at their instruments and having a proper band? Could be wrong.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesrine/ Mesrine II.
    timebug wrote: »
    Not sure if this should count or not. :) 'Film' three follows immediately on from two only because they were filmed to be a consecutive TV mini-series, as opposed to being two seperate films. After the sucess of Tattoo as a cinema film outside Scandinavia, they simply took the episodes that covered each book, spliced them together and released them as two films in the non-Swedish (or at least non-Scandi) territories.

Oh go on then ! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Rec & Rec 2