Options

Anyone tried a 1" memory foam mattress topper?

RogRog Posts: 1,780
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a firm mattress for my back but just want to make it slightly more comfortable without loosing the overall firm feel. I see that 1" memory foam toppers are available. Has anyone tried this size and what is your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll let you know next week after I've spent a week sleeping on one in my camper van.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I'll let you know next week after I've spent a week sleeping on one in my camper van.

• Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've only made just over 1 post a year.! :)
  • Options
    JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i had one, I think it was a thicker one but I found it too hot i t was comfy at first though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    It's not memory foam, but I bought on duvet like one from Asda on monday, and its unbelievably comfy on our old mattress! Think it was about £27 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Renepoos wrote: »
    It's not memory foam, but I bought on duvet like one from Asda on monday, and its unbelievably comfy on our old mattress! Think it was about £27 :)

I've just found it on Asda Direct - Silentnight All Seasons Mattress Topper in the summer sale. I might go for it, can you say roughly how thick it is please?
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rog wrote: »
    I have a firm mattress for my back but just want to make it slightly more comfortable without loosing the overall firm feel. I see that 1" memory foam toppers are available. Has anyone tried this size and what is your opinion?
    It makes a difference and I like it. It did feel a bit odd at first and turning over seemed more difficult but I wouldn't be without it now. It's lovely sinking into a mattress while still getting full support. I just wish it'd stay in place better.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest I didn't feel any difference, except it made me so hot every now and again I had to rip it off in the middle of the night a few times.

No way could I have it on there in the summer.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been using a 1" one for a couple of weeks now, its great, lovely and comfortable :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Rog wrote: »
    I've just found it on Asda Direct - Silentnight All Seasons Mattress Topper in the summer sale. I might go for it, can you say roughly how thick it is please?

It's an asdas own that we have, it's like a really thick duvet :)
  • Options
    MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand the point of memory foam in mattresses as we don't hold one position all night, we toss and turn. So the memory that side has to be replicated on the other side, and then maybe in the middle. Draw our legs up, straighten them and so on.
    How long does this foam take to replicate?

I have arthritis of the spine and many years ago went into spasm meaning time off from work. I briefly tried a MFM when looking and thought it not for me. Bought a Millbrook bed and mattress, God the mattress is heavy but never needs turning. All good and great sleep, but was seduced to having a feather topper.

Now that is Heaven zzzzzzh.

Like sleeping on a cloud. The combination of pocket sprung mattress plus the feathers? Utter bliss.

Cost a lot but still here and not a dent in it.
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I had a memory foam topper (i got it free when i bought two memory foam pillows which were the best buy ever).

It didnt do a lot for me because i had a really soft mattress so the topper just sort of got weighed down. I suppose it would work with a firm mattress. It did cover the feeling of the springs though which was good.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    I don't understand the point of memory foam in mattresses as we don't hold one position all night, we toss and turn. So the memory that side has to be replicated on the other side, and then maybe in the middle. Draw our legs up, straighten them and so on.
    How long does this foam take to replicate?
    A few seconds. It doesn't really work the way you're suggesting though.

Normal foam tries to rebound against the weight or deforms and leaves you in a hollow. In effect your body weight and shape is fighting against the foam. Memory foam adapts to your shape. So it works with your body. It's just happy to be compressed to match your contours.

It's not really 'memory' foam - they should have called it 'Adaptive Foam'. Although it will hold an imprint for a couple of seconds it's not much longer than that. Ignore the silly adverts showing a hand print. I've never got anything that well defined out of mine.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I had one but can't remember if it was any good
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    You've only made just over 1 post a year.! :)

SO WHAT /
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    I had a latex topper, which apparently has all the advantages of memory foam but without the heat issue.

It didn't give the necessary support and my other half and I ended up with back pain after constantly fighting against rolling into the centre. I think it would be fine if you sleep alone, though, and I do recommend latex over foam.
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got one, bought in 2012, where it then spent about three months airing out to get rid of the overpowering smell of chemicals. After that it's been fine but, like all memory foam, it's starting to lose its rebound ability and basically turning into regular foam.

But that's just my experience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP here. I ended up finding a Silentnight Impress 1" MF from Sainsbury's online for £35. Very strange pricing, as the double was £60 and the king size £35 (reduced from £90 supposedly) .

I am happy - it takes the edge off the firmness of the mattress and my back is fine