Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 3)

Comments

• cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Liz Jones would stick to facts instead of fantasies, scathing remarks about her so-called friends and family, always referring to fashion labels on the clothes she wears, constantly harping on about herself in a 'poor me' manner and being consistent in her writing, she wouldn't come in for the criticism she so rightly deserves at present.

She's not even a vegan as she always tells us but a lacto-vegetarian or so it would appear.

Good Heavens, she can even contradict herself within a few sentences ! :p

This is my all-time favourite: "I never use the word owner," (re animals) she says, only to use it a couple of paragraphs later! Happily, someone picked it up in the comments... :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2072537/Love-M-S-Its-I-need-soul-mate-alive.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see Dulverton is taking part in the great Stargazing Live 'switch-off'. What are the odds LJ takes a pop at it, complaing that switching off lights infringes her animals' rights, or summat...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-16607293
  • DeliriumTremensDeliriumTremens Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see Dulverton is taking part in the great Stargazing Live 'switch-off'. What are the odds LJ takes a pop at it, complaing that switching off lights infringes her animals' rights, or summat...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-16607293

I spotted that. I did wonder if we would somehow see a connection with it appearing in the Dreary. Perhaps the RS is a closet stargazer with a large telescope? And with the cameras and local reporting going on around Dulverton, I feel sure she'll pop up somewhere, or at least comment on it. Will they be fliming from her hillock? Will the fliming upset the rescued turkeys/chickens? Will she captivate Brian Cox the way she did the RS and SA MM when she goes to complain about stargazers tramping over her land wearing fleeces from Primark and waterproof coats and boots from Millets?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    I notice that the Mail is hiring "would-be journalists" and paying 18,000 pounds a year.

http://jobs.guardian.co.uk/job/4395174/trainee-journalists/

Gosh--700,000 pounds for a poor journalist versus 18,000 for a bright new columnist . . . you don't think Liz's days at the Mail are numbered, do you? Do you?
    Forum Member
    Here it is, around 5:40 in Lizland, and as expected there are no "Moans"--and I frankly don't think the universe is worse because Liz Jones's moans aren't moaned about in the Mail. Rather the reverse.

I was telling mr ccmc about Liz's weird memory glitches and inability to keep a story straight. How many men has she met at a bar while wearing a false nose? That's circled round and involved two different men, hasn't it? Why, if I'd known when I was single that sticking on a false nose and going to a bar was a guy magnet . . . I'd probably have an incurable STD. I mentioned the fact that she ends her "Diary" with cliffhangers she seems to forget all about, her odd experience of getting her credit card turned down at a budget (shudder) hotel one week and then having almost the same experience some two weeks later, not being able to avoid contradicting herself in the space of three paragraphs (as cathrin points out), and mr ccmc said, quite seriously, "Dementia. It's sad. It's ugly."

Mind you, getting diagnosed by someone thousands of miles away who has never met Liz Jones and has, at best, an undergraduate degree in Psychology could be considered a little slipshod.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ccmc wrote: »
    How many men has she met at a bar while wearing a false nose? That's circled round and involved two different men, hasn't it?

Yup - same play, same role, two different locations some 30 years apart.
  • MinetteMinette Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    Both times unaware that the 'aged Mrs P' she played was Mrs Emmeline Pankhurst.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I spotted that. I did wonder if we would somehow see a connection with it appearing in the Dreary. Perhaps the RS is a closet stargazer with a large telescope? And with the cameras and local reporting going on around Dulverton, I feel sure she'll pop up somewhere, or at least comment on it. Will they be fliming from her hillock? Will the fliming upset the rescued turkeys/chickens? Will she captivate Brian Cox the way she did the RS and SA MM when she goes to complain about stargazers tramping over her land wearing fleeces from Primark and waterproof coats and boots from Millets?

OMG, it's not friggin' Brian May, is it??!! :eek:
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, it's not friggin' Brian May, is it??!! :eek:

I'd love to see Anita Dobson as Angie dealing with that:D

"You slaaaaaaaaag! Git ur 'ooks outta Den, I mean Brian, or I'll 'ave ya, ya moon faced cow"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see Anita Dobson as Angie dealing with that:D

"You slaaaaaaaaag! Git ur 'ooks outta Den, I mean Brian, or I'll 'ave ya, ya moon faced cow"

I can imagine that Anita Dobson would not have taken kindly to being described as "eurotrash g/f".

But I do await with anticipation for hearing how she participated in the switch off.
  • CyanideCindyCyanideCindy Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Seabird wrote: »
    I know this thread has a lot of lurkers and I presume some of them, like Astor are fans of hers. I would genuinely appreciate their view point on Liz and her writing. As they know we are mainly venting views on her blatant lies and fantasies that she passes off as fact and is very highly paid for, her offensive behaviour to those she sees as her inferiors, her hatred of women in general although she does set herself up as a spokeswoman for us all. Whilst Liz is obviously a genuine animal lover I loathe the way she uses her animals to get sympathy and empathy. A real animal lover puts her animals needs first, Liz seems to mainly use her animals to fulfill her emotional needs. Any Liz fans who can explain why they respect and enjoy her work, and maybe say how they feel about the Rock Star and her Married Man with small children love interests I'm sure will be respectfully welcomed and viewpoint appreciated.

I too, would be interested to hear from Liz's fans, perhaps to tell us their point of view as to why Liz is a writer to be admired and respected. It appears to me that:

1. The Diary has been largely fictitious since at least July 2010, when the rock star appeared.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-1293061/In-rock-star-rolls-up.html

This is the RS story which fizzled out shortly after it was stated in print that Jim Kerr is 'dismayed at the rumours that it is him', in the London Evening Standard, 21.11.11. The fact that the RS has suddenly disappeared, after 18 months of stories about how he adored Liz and wanted to move in with her seems to point to the fact that she's been told to 'cease and desist'.
    The dialogue between Liz and her RS was excruciatingly bad - it read like a poor romantic novel.

2. Liz frequently used to end the Diary with a cliffhanger, which was either never mentioned again (big row with the RS in New York) or turned out to be nonsense. For example, the time her dog was trampled by a horse and 'he never stood a chance', only for the dog to be as right as rain in the next Diary column.
    The whole point of the Diary is that Liz called herself a confessional journalist, yet it seems to be mainly poorly written fiction.

3. Her animal stories are recycled, she just changes the animals and location - eg turkeys instead of chickens. A horse died - Liz had never even mentioned the name of this horse (Bo?) before.
    Lizzie the horse is now going blind - surely Liz or her groom should have noticed the horse's cataracts before they became advanced?

4. Her fashion articles don't seem to fit with the readership of The Mail. For example, this week she wrote about a 'Francoise tote' handbag costing £295 which she described as mid-priced and a £380 jacket. I just don't agree that her readers would find those sort of prices acceptable these days (and I love a decent handbag as much as the next woman).

5. Her other articles (facelift, hair colouring, eyebrow tattooing, therapies etc) appear to be publicity articles in return for discounted treatments, as she constantly namechecks the businesses concerned.

6. Her freebie holiday articles are written for High Life magazine, of which her friend Kerry is the editor. Not forgetting of course, that Liz never takes holidays!

7. Liz's 'brush with poverty', in which she told us she couldn't pay her mortgage, feed her animals or even withdraw £20 from a cashpoint. Her readers were sending her money.
    What a joke that turned out to be - she was in the money again within months, with no explanation as to how she had performed this miraculous turnaround in her finances.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1278757/LIZ-JONES-To-4-100-answered-heart--thank-you.html

Liz allegedly earns big bucks for her writing in The Mail. Her brief seems to be to write controversial articles to attract hits to their website. That would be fair enough if it weren't for the fact she recycles the same old stories - the Liz Jones bingo card, as it were.
    I'm not disputing that Liz attracts attention, so perhaps she fulfils her brief? But it's for the wrong reasons, in my opinion - it's car crash journalism.

I really would be genuinely interested to hear the POV of Liz's fans.
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great points CC. I really would like to hear from Liz's supporters on all the points you have highlighted. Trouble is, whilst those of us on DS, FB and the Mail comments challenge Liz, and like yourself are detailed about why they object to Liz's articles, the supporters tend to just say things like "Leave Liz alone, she loves animals!", "If you don't like what she writes don't read it!", "Good luck Liz with the RS, you deserve happiness!" but never, ever expand to comment on why they admire Liz the writer or defend her most inflamatory missiles. We shall see hopefully, and again, all viewpoints will be respected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great points CC. I really would like to hear from Liz's supporters on all the points you have highlighted. Trouble is, whilst those of us on DS, FB and the Mail comments challenge Liz, and like yourself are detailed about why they object to Liz's articles, the supporters tend to just say things like "Leave Liz alone, she loves animals!", "If you don't like what she writes don't read it!", "Good luck Liz with the RS, you deserve happiness!" but never, ever expand to comment on why they admire Liz the writer or defend her most inflamatory missiles. We shall see hopefully, and again, all viewpoints will be respected.

hate to be pedantic, but do you mean 'missives'? I really don't think I can bear the thought of LJ being in control of rocket launchers & warheads ;)
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hate to be pedantic, but do you mean 'missives'? I really don't think I can bear the thought of LJ being in control of rocket launchers & warheads ;)

Ha, ha, yes, you are right, I shouldn't keep popping onto forums whilst writing a history essay on warfare!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    the supporters tend to just say things like "Leave Liz alone, she loves animals!", "If you don't like what she writes don't read it!", "Good luck Liz with the RS, you deserve happiness!" but never, ever expand to comment on why they admire Liz the writer or defend her most inflamatory missiles. We shall see hopefully, and again, all viewpoints will be respected.

Which points to the even more likely conclusion that the "supporters" are merely Liz, Nic, and Kerry (Liz has 2 friends in the world) all 3 of them using various pseudonyms, never actually coming up with any decent substantiable argument as to why we should "leave Liz alone".

Just "ooooh, don't be so howwible about our mad but lovely friend".
    Forum Member
    JBag wrote: »
    Which points to the even more likely conclusion that the "supporters" are merely Liz, Nic, and Kerry (Liz has 2 friends in the world) all 3 of them using various pseudonyms, never actually coming up with any decent substantiable argument as to why we should "leave Liz alone".

Just "ooooh, don't be so howwible about our mad but lovely friend".

Exactly. I for one find it hard to admire Liz's writing, for all the reasons that CC has written. I find her personal qualities less than likable, as well. She puts herself out in the public eye and writes silly, snobbish, rude things and silly, self-indulgent fiction. She does everything she can to attract attention to herself. Then she and her friends--if they are friends--can't bear it if the world looks at her and thinks "Clean up your act."

But she loves animals. This redeems it all? Hitler loved his dog and said she was the only friend he ever had. Loving animals isn't that unusual.

In fact, she'll pose with any of them, but she only seems to love the cats. She isn't exactly the horse whisperer, is she? One horse--the one she was going to ride endlessly--clearly hates her. She's forever going on about how exhausting it is to care for them and how much she prefers London. Silly woman; she made some uneducated, unwise and major life changes and doesn't look for Plan B; she just wants pity.

If her horse gets cataracts it's a tragedy for Liz, not the horse, and evidence she's cursed. Imagine being her vet: Nature Mother and her incompetent equine behaviourist (snort) call him out. "Do you mean to tell me you didn't NOTICE that this horse has cataracts?" He considers, not for the first time, when he should call a society for the prevention of cruelty to animals and ask them to take over. "While you're there, just stick your nose in the house door and sniff the urine."
    Forum Member
    I don't have eleventy seven animals, I just have two cats. So I don't know much about the care of horses, sheep, etc. But: does a person who owns numerous animals need a full time, live-in "animal behaviourist"? Isn't what we call a "ranch hand" here in the Western US more sensible, financially? And if Nic is yer real fer shure animal behaviourist, why do Liz's animals behave so badly? Why does Miss Stress Wee still stress wee? Why does Lizzie bite Liz and apparently dislike Liz working with her? Why didn't she say "Look, Liz--in the country, it doesn't matter how much your dogs wuz you: if you take them out of your own fenced property, you must ALWAYS have them on a lead"? Would a professional "animal behaviorist" who presumably shovels out the stalls every day that Liz isn't there and probably most days that she is--well, would such a professional person miss a well-developed cataract? Would she? Would she?

I think I've naively assumed that much of what Liz writes about her animals has been reasonably accurate, but is as fictional as Boh the horse was. (Boh was actually named "D'oh" by a fan of the Simpsons, I suspect, but Liz misheard the name and thought it was something all Asian and Buddhist and that.) The home she describes as a stinky hovel? (You know, the place she visited and loved and decided to buy?) Nic's credentials? A multiple-sheep worrying dog who is stupid enough to get run over by a horse, but not run over so badly but what he isn't just fine in a week? I grow more and more dubious.

Bellagio has better things to do than write a book called "The Real Liz Jones", I'm sure . . . but I'd kill to read it.
  • vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now I love animals, the cute ones, the ugly ones, reptiles, amphibians. I respect nature even when it is brutal. Lizard doesn't appear to have any aptitude for caring for her menagerie but I hope her employees do. What I wish to **** is that she'd shut up with her ill informed neurotic nonsense and stop doing untold damage to the issues of animal welfare. I feel the same about her writing on many other issues, y'all know them, the infirm, the parents, primark wearers etc etc. She isn't funny, she isn't helpful and she's downright malevolent a lot of the time. And the Daily Heil pay her a fortune for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DM seem to be giving the despicable Kelly Rose Bradford more column inches - her latest article makes Liz look positively sane, caring and human.

Lets hope the pocket money stealing, man hating, anti-child 'mother' isn't Liz's replacement:eek::eek: She's certainly getting more comments:eek:
  • DylanCatDylanCat Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone - I'm new here so please be gentle with me.I have read Liz's articles with increasing disbelief,and latterly,anger. Her attitude to her animals especially has reduced me to ranting at the Diary on Sunday morning. She seems to be under the impression that her 'companion animals ' are wee people in fur coats. I don't know too much about horses or indeed dogs, but I have several cats, and if one had lumps on it's 'breasts',I would seek vetinary help.Immediatly. And as for Lizzies'cateracts, I don't believe for one minute that a competant stable assistant would'nt notice them. the woman is a disaster waiting to happen. Rant over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welcome DylanCat :)

We're a nice bunch really. For harpies that is.
  • BellagioBellagio Posts: 3,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DylanCat wrote: »
    Hello everyone - I'm new here so please be gentle with me.I have read Liz's articles with increasing disbelief,and latterly,anger. Her attitude to her animals especially has reduced me to ranting at the Diary on Sunday morning. She seems to be under the impression that her 'companion animals ' are wee people in fur coats. I don't know too much about horses or indeed dogs, but I have several cats, and if one had lumps on it's 'breasts',I would seek vetinary help.Immediatly. And as for Lizzies'cateracts, I don't believe for one minute that a competant stable assistant would'nt notice them. the woman is a disaster waiting to happen. Rant over.

Technical content: 8/10. Artistic ability: 8.5/10. Welcome. :D
    Forum Member
    Bellagio wrote: »
    Technical content: 8/10. Artistic ability: 8.5/10. Welcome. :D

thank you:D
    Forum Member
    Welcome DylanCat :)

We're a nice bunch really. For harpies that is.

If I'm really good, may I be a harpie too. May I, may I? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DylanCat wrote: »
    If I'm really good, may I be a harpie too. May I, may I? :)

Welcome!:)

I'm sure you can, and there is a facebook page too.
This discussion has been closed.