Options

Looking at joining Sky & leaving Virgin ... help & thoughts would be great.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
Forum Member
Well that time has come, I've just about had my fill of Virgin & to top it all of one bill says we owe them a certain amount & another letter says different not to mention the lack of sensitivity on their behalf when dealing with our account & lack of transcripts left on their computer with regards to our account hence why I was practically being accused of making stuff up.

Anyways the misses & I are looking at Sky what with them now owning almost everything that is good in the land of media.

we currently have 20meg bb, L-tv ( refused from vip ) & L-phone.

Does anyone know of any good deals as a new customer? we were thinking of visiting the sky guys in the mall but not sure if doing it on line or by fone is the best way.

Also what are price comparisons like ... im looking for HD as well but the misses says she wont pay something like the £97 we were paying as V+ HD costumers.

hElP!!!!!!!!:(

Comments

• Options
    Bryan@kirkwoodBryan@kirkwood Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    I would try phoning their sales team, they have lots of offers not shown on their website.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Going through Top Cashback isn't a bad deal - up to £90 cashback plus £50 Marks & Spencers vouchers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    madfor24 wrote: »
    Well that time has come, I've just about had my fill of Virgin & to top it all of one bill says we owe them a certain amount & another letter says different not to mention the lack of sensitivity on their behalf when dealing with our account & lack of transcripts left on their computer with regards to our account hence why I was practically being accused of making stuff up.

Anyways the misses & I are looking at Sky what with them now owning almost everything that is good in the land of media.

we currently have 20meg bb, L-tv ( refused from vip ) & L-phone.

Does anyone know of any good deals as a new customer? we were thinking of visiting the sky guys in the mall but not sure if doing it on line or by fone is the best way.

Also what are price comparisons like ... im looking for HD as well but the misses says she wont pay something like the £97 we were paying as V+ HD costumers.

hElP!!!!!!!!:(

Weve just changed because we moved to a non cable area.
    tv package has hd but weve left off sky movies. broadband lite and phone. £44 and a bit.
    Full installed and free hd box. did it online but with input (while online) from a human.
    Tv installed last tuesday, broadband tomorrow.
    So Far so good. Only issue so far was poor quality install of the phone line. We can tolerate because it will be hidden when we get new carpets laid.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Weve just changed because we moved to a non cable area.
    tv package has hd but weve left off sky movies. broadband lite and phone. £44 and a bit.
    Full installed and free hd box. did it online but with input (while online) from a human.
    Tv installed last tuesday, broadband tomorrow.
    So Far so good. Only issue so far was poor quality install of the phone line. We can tolerate because it will be hidden when we get new carpets laid.
    Hope this helps.

Which I would guess isn't Sky's fault. Isn't it usually BT Openzone do that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member

It was a sky guy who wired it up when they installed the tv etc. BT came today and got the phone working.
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    If you want to keep the FilmFour HD channel,
    just downgrade the TV Pack to M+
    and just add a Sky (HD) Box to your set up

Simples, if not cancel the Virgin TV service,
    Virgin Broadband is miles better than Sky's,
    so I would not loose Virgin's Broadband service
  • Options
    joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    If you wanted to keep the FilmFour HD channel,
    the just downgrade the TV Pack to M+
    and add a Sky (HD) Box to your set up
    If not then cancel the Virgin TV service

I would not loose the Virgin Broadband service,
    as it is miles better than Sky's
  • Options
    apt58apt58 Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    agreed , i left virgin TV years ago (still have M because its free, rarely use it) but kept phone and Broadband managed to negatiate a deal with them of £22 p.m. went to Sky + TV and now HD wouldn't be without it . Brother moved to everything , Broadband is far slower than virgin plus you have to have a BT phone line so thats extra to your calculation
  • Options
    KPGillsKPGills Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Sky are currently fitting a BT phone line for a £10 one off fee if you switch to Sky (or at least if you switch via the website, I guess via phone is the same offer).

You have to take the Sky Line Rental for a 12 or 18 month contract though....

Keith
  • Options
    DonkeyDonkey Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Virgin Broadband is miles better than Sky's,

Not in my opinion. I was on the Virgin 10mb service (which cost wise is similar to Sky's "up to 20mb service).

The reality is although Sky only gives me 6-7 mb at least is is fairly constant.

With Virgin as soon as you hit the ridiculously low threshold...down to 4mb for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Donkey wrote: »
    Not in my opinion. I was on the Virgin 10mb service (which cost wise is similar to Sky's "up to 20mb service).

The reality is although Sky only gives me 6-7 mb at least is is fairly constant.

With Virgin as soon as you hit the ridiculously low threshold...down to 4mb for the rest of the day.

If you are on 10mb with VM the STM reduces the speed to 2.5mb I think, ouch!

This is the only reason I say Sky's BB can be better for upto 20mb customers who have heavy usuage. Of course if you don't have a line capable of decent speeds then you're snookered.

It's upto the individuals circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    If you are on 10mb with VM the STM reduces the speed to 2.5mb I think, ouch!

They do. I left a couple of years ago when the traffic management was not so bad. So in other words, the service has gone from bad to worse:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Donkey wrote: »
    They do. I left a couple of years ago when the traffic management was not so bad. So in other words, the service has gone from bad to worse:eek:

STM dosen't affect me personally so the 10mb service is brilliant for me but it is definitely a consideration. It just isn't true to say in a blanket way that VM's BB is better than Sky's, the headline speeds of course are but it just depends what tier you are on, usage and where you live.

If you are a 50mb or even 100mb customer it's irrelevant but it's not so black and white for 10mb and 20mb customers, not at all.

We should make sure what speeds are available and assess what our likely usage is before deciding as VM's STM can be very intrusive on lower tier packages if you do indeed download a lot of stuff.
  • Options
    sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the same boat. Looking at leaving virgin.

On 20mb bb but only ever get near that monday to Friday between 11am and 3pm. The rest of the time it is around 9-11 mb except weekends when it is regularly down at 2-4mb.

Now, I don't download anything other than general browsing and the lad is on his xbox for around 4 hours a day max at weekends and an hour in the week per day.

Tv- well! We have constant on demand failures and the number of programmes missed due to a non updating epg, even with maximum recording padding is hopeless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sps1013 wrote: »
    In the same boat. Looking at leaving virgin.

On 20mb bb but only ever get near that monday to Friday between 11am and 3pm. The rest of the time it is around 9-11 mb except weekends when it is regularly down at 2-4mb.

Now, I don't download anything other than general browsing and the lad is on his xbox for around 4 hours a day max at weekends and an hour in the week per day.

Tv- well! We have constant on demand failures and the number of programmes missed due to a non updating epg, even with maximum recording padding is hopeless.

Assuming your home network is set up correctly If you are not hitting the STM limits that sounds like you have a fault (especially with the EPG problems) or you could be in a oversubscribed area which I find totally unacceptable as an excuse.

Have you asked them to check things out?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »

I have to agree - I've still got my VHD+ box but its rarely used. Constatntly missing out on the end of shows - which would be okay if their VOD worked occasionaly - and a box that doesn;t have nearly enough space was just to much for me. I managed to squeeze a deal out of them to keep the PVR function for £1.50 a month so I use that when I have a triple overlap night !
  • Options
    sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Assuming your home network is set up correctly If you are not hitting the STM limits that sounds like you have a fault (especially with the EPG problems) or you could be in a oversubscribed area which I find totally unacceptable as an excuse.

Have you asked them to check things out?

The network is perfect, no issues.

I have spoken to them and they advise there are no known faults. Incidentally when I was having problems with my old modem the techie on the phone thought it was my electric!

When I joined last year I joined online and I was to get a wireless router. When the install day arrived the engineer said they are posted out, rang cs and they advised I was not entitled to it! Had an email order confirmation though.

It eventually turned up, 12 days later!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    right we have a problem peoples!!!! had the sky engineer out today they said that cant fit a dis to the chimney as it would break some health and safety rule of theirs, also they said we would have to get an independent engineer out to do all the cabling if we pt the dish on our back garden wall as sky don't drill through internal walls?
    does anyone know how much this is likely to cost?
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    right we have a problem peoples!!!! had the sky engineer out today they said that cant fit a dis to the chimney as it would break some health and safety rule of theirs, also they said we would have to get an independent engineer out to do all the cabling if we pt the dish on our back garden wall as sky don't drill through internal walls?

They certainly drilled through an internal wall when my first Sky digibox was installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's rubbish. Sky will send out their 'special heights' team if it needs to go on a chimney.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Further to our problems we had a letter in the post from $ky saying they were sad to see us going. I though " that's the first Ive heard about it" so today i went to the sky stand in my local shopping centre ( were i first registered ) I they got costumer services on the line who informed me that the engineer put the lame excuse on the contract/job that they couldn't fit the satellite due to the neighbor not being in!!! wen infact I already ran the whole Sky thing by them just to make sure.

Seems to me the engineer either had a lot to do that day or was a lazy ass or both .... so now because of him we miss out on free install which now is going to cost £40 ( something the misses is irate about & refused to do so on principle )

We were also informed that he should have ran the wiring around the door frames & skirting boards.

Im wanting my original deal of free everything back what should I do ... help!!!! I have the complains address to who im going to write to & also complain about the engineer + to add insult the account has been closed.

DAGNAMMIT!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that now that there's been a misunderstanding, you're calling them $ky as opposed to Sky - are you the same person that refers to Microsoft as Micro$oft by any chance? Incidentally, I received some fairly shabby treatment on the part of Virgin to the degree that they offered to keep my VIP package running for a year at £55 if I stayed; I promptly refused because of principles, and switched to Sky - my deal was so good they ended up owing me money, which is always fun. And I got £100 marks and spark vouchers for me and my sister.

You'll also find that the engineers are probably subcontractors - simply phone sky customer services as opposed to going to the sales stand (it's warmer during this unseasonable weather), and customer service will be happy to help. In fact I'm fairly confident they'll get it sorted out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moved house over a year ago and as there was no cable in the area had to get sky after being with Virgin for a few years.

If Virgin was available in my area i would grab it back like a shot. i know both platforms have their good things and bad things, but sky is appalling and leaving VM was one of the worst things we have done.

Broadband is pitiful and the box itself crashes regularly and on third box already. The list of issues goes on and on,.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Openreach :)

Also it depends what the poster means about 'poor quality'. If the line crackles when they are using it then report it. BT will fix it within a couple of days.

If the broadband is unexpectedly slow then see here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If it's just not as fast as you'd like then you have two choices:
    • Start praying and ask for the laws of physics to be changed.
    • Demand that someone replace the copper with fibre.
    It's hard to say which is least likely to succeed :)
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Openreach :)

Also it depends what the poster means about 'poor quality'. If the line crackles when they are using it then report it. BT will fix it within a couple of days.

If the broadband is unexpectedly slow then see here:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm

If it's just not as fast as you'd like then you have two choices:
    • Start praying and ask for the laws of physics to be changed.
    • Demand that someone replace the copper with fibre.
    It's hard to say which is least likely to succeed :)

Ahhhh! Wonder where I got Openzone from?!:D