Forum Member
    Fischerspooner. God, they were hyped to death around 2001-2. They had
    huge magazine coverage, and a very expensive record deal. Yet the
    album that was supposed to launch 'em -modestly titled " #1 or Best
    Album Ever" sank like a stone.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    I'm quite surprised that nobody has mentioned Emeli Sande.
    A couple of years ago she must have been the most hyped act in the UK.
    At more than one big ceremony she was brought in as the star act and she was everywhere a couple of years ago.

Not saying she's bad or anything, just that she appeared to be heavily pushed in our faces.

She's a good example of 'right place, right time' at the Olympics Adele, (surely Britain's 1t choice balladeer) was pregnant and unavailable, while Leona Lewis' star had waned.

Even though I am a fan, I have to say Kylie's sales post her 'Fever' album have been lower than the hype and budget that gets spent on marketing. She's a consistent seller, but really should be doing better than just Platinum considering the high profile performance slots she gets (Jubilee Concert, XFactor Finals, Children In Need, Royal Variety etc)
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction, most hyped up piece of rubbish there has been.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eliza Doolittle, daft name and songs that grate.
    Also on the naff Gary Barlow world cup song with Pixie Lott. The lets drag in anyone available video.
    Kimberly Walsh on there as well, Girls Aloud while I'm at it.
    One of the worst of the recent girl groups.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    One Direction, most hyped up piece of rubbish there has been.

Doing undeniably well for themselves though...
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I remember a girl band called West End getting a lot of media coverage in
    the early '90s. They had one song called "Love Rules" that got lots of advertising
    but didn't seem to go anywhere.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big Oasis fan but have to agree about Be Here Now.
    The hype surrounding that album was ridiculous and they were never going to live up to it no matter what they released. In the end the album was ok but it was nowhere near as good as the previous two.

I remember Trevor McDonald announcing the release of it on News at Ten and thing WTF????

There was a huge amount of hype about Pasty Kensit's band Eighth Wonder (they were anything but) back in the mid eighties, she was even plastered on the front of No1 magazine being hailed as the new Madonna

Their singles flopped though, The Pet Shop Boys eventually came to the resue with the hit I'm Not Scared but only Pasty appeared in the video and on TOTP which I believe the rest of the band were quite bitter about

After that Patsy's pop career faded away and she took up a new career as a serial pop star wife
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those 5 Seconds of (Fame) Summer Oz guys have been pretty hyped here by radio
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chinese Democracy speaks for itself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Madonna's whole career.

She's always surrounded herself with top notch producers and writers to cover up her weaknesses in those areas. Other than a few of the unspectacular singles from her debut album, she has never written any of her classic hits by herself, in fact she hasn't written a single song on one of her albums by herself since the mid-1980s. I have nothing against people having writers and producers helping them out, a lot of people do, it's the fact her fans give her all the credit and act as though she's some kind of genius. Madonna is a genius for making so much out of so little. I know someone like Whitney Houston never wrote the majority of her own material, but she had genuine musical talent, Madonna doesn't and never will. And don't even get me started on the whole "Madonna did it first" argument. I think you'll find she's ripped off many, many people and their work.