Options

Disabled vs Parent & Child Parking

Comments

• Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is ironic as they were getting so irate over it. And I wasn't.

The situation doesn't affect be. My kids are grown, I'm a long way from pension age and luckily I have my health. I'm arguing that I should be a lower priority than all the other groups mentioned and was being calked selfish and bitter for it. So who was being attacking and angry?

I can't see any posts where anyone is getting irate :confused:
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which is ironic as they were getting so irate over it. And I wasn't.

The situation doesn't affect be. My kids are grown, I'm a long way from pension age and luckily I have my health. I'm arguing that I should be a lower priority than all the other groups mentioned and was being calked selfish and bitter for it. So who was being attacking and angry?

Were all those posts you quoted directed at you? I thought they were laughing at a certain person who seems to have very twisted knickers today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I can't see any posts where anyone is getting irate :confused:

I am actually beginning to think they are on a wind up as they seem to be reading what isnt there.
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    2 things I've seen happen in supermarkets that make me shake my head

A mum at the 10 items or less counter with a trolleyfull. When it was tactfully pointed out she was *slightly* above the limit she said "Naaaaah", and pointed at her 3 kids - "10 for me, 10 for her, 10 for him and 10 for him".

And, recently a woman barging her way to the front of the queue "because I've got KIDS you know". Oh, well done for being fertile.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    2 things I've seen happen in supermarkets that make me shake my head

A mum at the 10 items or less counter with a trolleyfull. When it was tactfully pointed out she was *slightly* above the limit she said "Naaaaah", and pointed at her 3 kids - "10 for me, 10 for her, 10 for him and 10 for him".

And, recently a woman barging her way to the front of the queue "because I've got KIDS you know". Oh, well done for being fertile.

Yes, I'm sure that really happened :)
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missy83 wrote: »
    As for pensioners, as has been stated earlier many pensioners are fit and healthy but if they do need a closer space then there is nothing stopping them using a disabled or parent and child space if they need to

Except it being illegal to use a disabled space without a disability badge and the fact that some pensioners would week inhibited about using a space reserved for parents and children rather than the less mobile such as priority seats on transport are.

When did parents leap frog these groups in priority?
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except it being illegal to use a disabled space without a disability badge and the fact that some pensioners would week inhibited about using a space reserved for parents and children rather than the less mobile such as priority seats on transport are.

I am not quite sure if it is illegal in private car parks.

How are parents leap frogging when these parking spots are in addition to disabled spots not instead of?

And as I said earlier when I have been at the supermarket at opening time the slots near the supermarket are taken up by staff, should they leapfrog customers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    As usual with these kind of threads, I think the topic in the thread title is masking a different issue for some and being used as a vehicle for another agenda.

Maybe or maybe it is your imagination and you could just address what is actually said rather than what you think they might want to say.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

More to the point, when did parents actually say that they did?

Come on now, supermarket allocated parking spaces seriously cannot be this important to you. What on earth is your problem with parents and children, who have staked no claim to any privileges? I have not seen one post which states that they believe that they feel superior and more entitled than a pensioner or disabled customer. It is not the parents who are demanding anything, however, the supermarkets are trying to entice every walk of life to spend money. That does not mean that people with kids expect or even use those facilities, which you just will not acknowledge. That makes me believe that this issue is not what is making you so unhinged.it is something else and this is just a forum to hide behind.However, if parking spaces are this important to you, er-get a life?
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's not in a private car park although a person would be an arse to use one without good reason.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it's not and why are you discriminating against non-pensioners who have mobility issues?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not quite sure if it is illegal in private car parks.
    You are right it's not illegal but they can ask people to move or fine them depending on their policy which is a disincentive to park there.
    How are parents leap frogging when these parking spots are in addition to disabled spots not instead of?
    It is leapfrogging where they are closer to the shop than disabled spaces. They are also leapfrogging groups with mobility problems such as those on crutches, the elderly etc as they do not have any specially reserved spaces.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are right it's not illegal but they can ask people to move or fine them depending on their policy which is a disincentive to park there.

It is leapfrogging where they are closer to the shop than disabled spaces. They are also leapfrogging groups with mobility problems such as those on crutches, the elderly etc as they do not have any specially reserved spaces.

That's better ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe or maybe it is your imagination and you could just address what is actually said rather than what you think they might want to say.

But you have just highlighted my point by saying that, as that is what you seem to be doing. It does not matter how many posters say that although they are parents/have had small kids, that they do not demand privileges in whichever way they put it, it's as if you don't see what's written. Therefore, since that seemed to be your initial problem, how can you still be annoyed? Can't be the parking, I and others have said yes, your point about pensioners and disabled people's parking should take priority, but no, parents are still demanding privileges. Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]More to the point, when did parents actually say that they did?
    Not admitting to being part of a privileged group is worse. It's like the Etonian cabinet not admitting that they have an advantage and accusing anyone of pointing it out of being filled with class hate.
    What on earth is your problem with parents and children, who have staked no claim to any privileges? ....

That makes me believe that this issue is not what is making you so unhinged.it is something else and this is just a forum to hide behind.However, if parking spaces are this important to you, er-get a life?
    When have I been as angry and attacking as that or personally directed any abuse to anyone for having children. I'm discussing parking policy in supermarkets and it doesn't mean that much to me it is just an interesting subject. You and a few others on this thread are attacking people who disagree with you and seem to have a personal issue with either the subject or people that disagree with your viewpoint.

Parking isn't so important to me that I would call someone unhinged or to get a life because they think that pensioners and the less mobile should have priority parkin.- or not.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is anyone going to address the point that pensioners and the disabled (neither of which group I am in) haves genuinely greater need to be closer the shop than parents of young kids?

It's been addressed by a few people, myself included, pointing out that it's down to the individual supermarket. The disabled parking IS closer than the P&C at every single supermarket in my town and the next one up the road.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They do, they are called disabled bays. Anyone can park in them with a disability. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cadiva wrote: »
    It's been addressed by a few people, myself included, pointing out that it's down to the individual supermarket. The disabled parking IS closer than the P&C at every single supermarket in my town and the next one up the road.

I have never seen any with P&C closer Ive seen them the same but never further.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member

fine them? how on earth can a supermarket fine anyone? they dont have the power or the authority to do such a thing
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have never seen any with P&C closer Ive seen them the same but never further.

That would be my experience as well at supermarkets all over this country where I've been shopping. The disabled bays in every single supermarket I've been to have been the closest to the shop entrance and P&C parking has been further away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But you have just highlighted my point by saying that, as that is what you seem to be doing. It does not matter how many posters say that although they are parents/have had small kids, that they do not demand privileges in whichever way they put it, it's as if you don't see what's written. Therefore, since that seemed to be your initial problem, how can you still be annoyed? Can't be the parking, I and others have said yes, your point about pensioners and disabled people's parking should take priority, but no, parents are still demanding privileges. Just because you keep saying it, doesn't make it true.

I said parents are defending privilege not demanding it. unless my phone corrected me at some point I think you were the one going on about not demanding privilege. I also said many seem not to have thought the issue through. Which is understandable. It doesn't come up often.

In fact I said earlier in the thread that it was a commercial decision by supermarkets to privilege families. It is however a commercial decision that I think is mistaken from a social point. Pensioners are not as large spenders but that doesn't mean that they should be treated less well. I think priority parking should go to priority needs, not priority customers. And I think that pensioners and the immobile are a higher priority than parents with young kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not admitting to being part of a privileged group is worse. It's like the Etonian cabinet not admitting that they have an advantage and accusing anyone of pointing it out of being filled with class hate./QUOTE]

Haha, there you go again proving my point.
    Well I think that people without the kids to take shopping are the ones with the bad attitude here, they're all what about me? They are the ones I feel have expectations that others should just move out of their way, as they are so used to being the centre of their own universe and can't abide not being acknowledged for some reason, even to the point of parking. so I do think people with that attitude and those who find this all so exclusive should get a life. I suggest taking ones head out of ones backside and looking over the horizon, there is a whole big world out there, warning-some of it might involve not putting yourself and your childish demands first. Maybe wait a few more decades huh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    fine them? how on earth can a supermarket fine anyone? they dont have the power or the authority to do such a thing

Anyone who offers parking spaces has the right to fine people who disobey the rules under which they offer them. Try parking for longer than allowed in some, or not buying anything and you might discover that there are penalty charges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who offers parking spaces has the right to fine people who disobey the rules under which they offer them. Try parking for longer than allowed in some, or not buying anything and you might discover that there are penalty charges.

They are not enforcible
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think that people without the kids to take shopping are the ones with the bad attitude here, they're all what about me? They are the ones I feel have expectations that others should just move out of their way, as they are so used to being the centre of their own universe and can't abide not being acknowledged for some reason, even to the point of parking. so I do think people with that attitude and those who find this all so exclusive should get a life. I suggest taking ones head out of ones backside and looking over the horizon, there is a whole big world out there, warning-some of it might involve not putting yourself and your childish demands first. Maybe wait a few more decades huh?
    I've already said my kids are grown. If I want a kid to take shopping I can just volunteer to have the grandkid. But priority parking isn't so important that I need to use her for that...

What is this imaginary hidden agenda you think I have? What conspiracy is there around supermarket parking priorities?