Michael McIntyre Chat Show

Comments

• Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people always react to chat shows as if they must conform to a single very specific format. Not all chat shows need to be the modern day equivalents of Face to Face. Not all of them have to be sober inquisitions. Many are just excuses for comedy. So what? Most guests on chat shows don't have anything interesting to say even if they WERE probed by a grand interrogator. I really don't get the way some people get so wound up about it.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed the second show.

Best chat show on TV at the moment can't believe it's been axed:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/23/uncomfortable-michael-mcintyre-not-returning-for-second-chat-show-run-as-bbc-threaten-axe-4673992/

No wonder is going downhill lacks good chat shows.

I'm actually very surprised at this news.

Simply because in recent times the BBC are usually very protective of all manner of shows that may not be doing great, to the point where they try to do something about them one way or another.
    Often that can be simply to give them another series. At the very least in order to provide the impression that the previous serious must have done well for it to come back, or simply in the hope that it might improve in the viewers' eyes the second time around.

So yes, I'm surprised that they've let this one go so early in the series. For whatever reason they must have felt that this show had no legs and that they probably wouldn't be able to do much to improve it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I've noticed he's sticking to national treasures or popular Brits. Probably a good route to take as i'm not sure his style would be liked by International guests who don't know him and are just there to plug their product.

Not that it matters if the reports about the show are true.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I've noticed he's sticking to national treasures or popular Brits. Probably a good route to take as i'm not sure his style would be liked by International guests who don't know him and are just there to plug their product.

Not that it matters if the reports about the show are true.

what reports?
    Forum Member
    It was posted a few posts up.
  • HectorMcClureHectorMcClure Posts: 1,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible guests again tonight. It seems Ross and Norton get all the big stars and he gets the scraps.
    Forum Member
    Terrible guests again tonight. It seems Ross and Norton get all the big stars and he gets the scraps.
    As I posted above I think it's done deliberatly.
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed tonight's show...
    It still feels a bit lost, and when guests are on with something to plug the show can feel less random (unlike the guests Michael gets) but I'll definitely watch the rest of the series
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were originally looking Corden to host?

Jesus wept, were they wanting less viewers than Michael? :eek:
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »
    It still feels a bit lost, and when guests are on with something to plug the show can feel less random (unlike the guests Michael gets) but I'll definitely watch the rest of the series

It's actually refreshing when guests aren't plugging anything specific. I'm fed up of seeing the same faces doing the rounds when they are plugging something.
    I think the show isn't bad at all, and I don't watch Norton or Ross anymore. If McIntyre isn't happy with it then I suppose that's it.
    Paddy C wrote: »
    They were originally looking Corden to host?

Jesus wept, were they wanting less viewers than Michael? :eek:

Corden would have been awful. That's one I wouldn't have watched.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammy2 wrote: »

Me too! He had me laughing out loud lots last night and has really relaxed into it now. I think the trick is not to take it seriously, but to view it is as a Michael McIntyre light entertainment show with a bit of a chat show theme!
  • FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corden? Eurgh.

You can just imagine his laugh after question he's asked his celeb mate.
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... I'm surprised that they've let this one go so early in the series. For whatever reason they must have felt that this show had no legs and that they probably wouldn't be able to do much to improve it.
    My guess would be that his "people" demanded some sort of non-stand-up vehicle for him from the BBC, and they offered him this format, with the condition that it would need X numbers of viewers to get a 2nd series. It probably comes under the heading of "nurturing talent"...
  • joshcoupjoshcoup Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I was actually surprised by the caliber of guests Michael has on the show. Some real A-List celebrities on a show after the news if something almost unknown of on any channel. The show has a really good format and the audience interaction just makes Michael seem even more friendly! I do wonder why the BBC choose to schedule the show for 22.35 on a Monday evening?!? With Michael McIntyre fronting it, and the big names he has on, I think people would more than happily watch this on Friday or Saturday evening and would be a great competitor to Jonathan Ross.

Does make me wonder how they will keep up good guests if a second series gets commisioned...? And whether the time slot will change?!?
  • jammoon1jammoon1 Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    This was the best one so far, and a bit more relaxed, though I wonder if Michael can relax fully. But he showed more interest in his guests and seemed more settled in his role as an interviewer.
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame this won't be returning. I like the less formal way of interviewing and the guests seem to be enjoying themselves. Loved this week's show.
    I notice that Nigella Lawson is on next week. Is this her first UK chat show appearance since the court case? It will be interesting to see how Michael handles this.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My guess would be that his "people" demanded some sort of non-stand-up vehicle for him from the BBC, and they offered him this format, with the condition that it would need X numbers of viewers to get a 2nd series. It probably comes under the heading of "nurturing talent"...

I don't think anyone's people are in any position to demand a show from the BBC.
    I don't care who it is, there's nobody I can think of who is powerful enough to decide to have a vehicle made for themselves and then tell the BBC to just go and do it.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

well that can't be right if it's true that the BBC wanted James corden originally.

I saw this for the first time this week and thoroughly enjoyed it - hope they won't axe it.
    Guests came over well, as far as I could see there wasn't much blatant plugging.

Re the timeslot, didn't graham norton start out on a Monday night?
  • SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    Very enjoyable show so far - but then I do really like Michael McIntyre! I think it will get even better as he begins to find his way in this type of format. The phone thing is great and some of the other touches are working well for me.

Have enjoyed all of the guests that have appeared to date and Michael gets good value out of them. Hope the BBC keep this going as I think it has great potential, although unfortunately it appears doomed according to reports. Great shame that..
  • TVAddict958TVAddict958 Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    I actually really enjoyed this show and despite Michael McIntyre laughing at himself more than the audience did, it really was quite an enjoyable show. For a show after the news on a Monday night I was surprised at the high calibre of guests - some A List celebrities that rival with the likes you may see on programmes such as Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton. The BBC really should make more of a meal with this, it could easily be a Friday or Saturday night entertainment programme, drawing in a lot more viewers. The show launched with 2 million and that isn't too bad for a show after the news on a Monday night. The viewing figures did drop off a bit for the second and third episodes, which I think my either persuade the BBC to put it on at a more appropriate time, and hopefully not axe the programme all together.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame, but I think the problem is that people seem to either love Michael or are extremely irritated by him, so with no-one in the middle prepared to "give him a go" he immediately loses half his potential audience, regardless of who he has on.
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    well that can't be right if it's true that the BBC wanted James corden originally.

I saw this for the first time this week and thoroughly enjoyed it - hope they won't axe it.
    Guests came over well, as far as I could see there wasn't much blatant plugging.

Re the timeslot, didn't graham norton start out on a Monday night?
    Most of the guests he's had on have had nothing to plug. They've basically made it easy for him to have a chat show without the main wrangle of the guest only being there to plug their product.
    Forum Member
    Stegan wrote: »
    Very enjoyable show so far - but then I do really like Michael McIntyre! I think it will get even better as he begins to find his way in this type of format. The phone thing is great and some of the other touches are working well for me.

Have enjoyed all of the guests that have appeared to date and Michael gets good value out of them. Hope the BBC keep this going as I think it has great potential, although unfortunately it appears doomed according to reports. Great shame that..
    I think the phone thing is boring. It may have been good for one show but I think he should have had different audience participation for each show.
    Forum Member
    I actually really enjoyed this show and despite Michael McIntyre laughing at himself more than the audience did, it really was quite an enjoyable show. For a show after the news on a Monday night I was surprised at the high calibre of guests - some A List celebrities that rival with the likes you may see on programmes such as Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton. The BBC really should make more of a meal with this, it could easily be a Friday or Saturday night entertainment programme, drawing in a lot more viewers. The show launched with 2 million and that isn't too bad for a show after the news on a Monday night. The viewing figures did drop off a bit for the second and third episodes, which I think my either persuade the BBC to put it on at a more appropriate time, and hopefully not axe the programme all together.
    Not sure i'd call the guests high caliber A-Listers. They have all been 'national treasures' or popular brits and some of them seem to do the rounds of all the chat shows.
    Tiny fella has been on Norton, Ross and now this show this year already plugging his tour. Wouldn't be surprised if he rocked up on Chatty Man soon.
  • notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope the BBC do not pull the plug on this show. I've watched both episodes so far and really enjoyed them, there were some really very funny moments. Michael is learning his craft....a work in progress and the format may need tweaking however, as it stands I think it is light hearted entertainment and deserves to continue.