Sky 3D Sport and Movies

mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I was going to watch the M'cr derby in 3D, but channel 170 is blocked. Do we now have to pay £67.25 to get movies and sports in 3D (ie, another £5.25). For £62 do I still get the "entertainment" package?

Comments

• KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrbernay wrote: »
    I was going to watch the M'cr derby in 3D, but channel 170 is blocked. Do we now have to pay £67.25 to get movies and sports in 3D (ie, another £5.25). For £62 do I still get the "entertainment" package?

Sky 3D Entertainment programmes are available to those with Entertainment Extra+ (or the Entertainment Extra and old HD pack). Sport and Movie programmes are available to those with the correct pack (sport or movie pack) and the premium HD pack.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Sky 3D Entertainment programmes are available to those with Entertainment Extra+ (or the Entertainment Extra and old HD pack). Sport and Movie programmes are available to those with the correct pack (sport or movie pack) and the premium HD pack.

I have the movies and sport pack and paid the £5 extra for HD. Should I still be getting 3D for my £62?

Just noticed all my HD channels have gone????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the movies and sport pack and paid the £5 extra for HD. Should I still be getting 3D for my £62?

Just noticed all my HD channels have gone????

Log on to my sky on the website and see what packages it says you have. How much does it say you pay? Were you on some sort of offer that has just ended?

You say you pay £62, but if you have Entertainment Extra+, Sky Sports, Sky Movies and the premium HD pack then that is £67.25.

To get Sky Movies and Sky Sports in HD it is an extra £5.25 a month. See this page http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/high-definition/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Log on to my sky on the website and see what packages it says you have. How much does it say you pay? Were you on some sort of offer that has just ended?

You say you pay £62, but if you have Entertainment Extra+, Sky Sports, Sky Movies and the premium HD pack then that is £67.25.

To get Sky Movies and Sky Sports in HD it is an extra £5.25 a month. See this page http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/high-definition/

Kester, when did the full package jump to 67.25? My DD has not changed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kester, when did the full package jump to 67.25? My DD has not changed

It has been around that price for a long time now, a year at least, maybe longer. If you have lost the Sports and Movies HD channels but your bill price hasn't changed then you can't be on the top package, you must have had the HD channels free for a period.

Edit: There was an increase last September, looking back I think it was £2.50 per month, but the premium HD pack (for sports and movies) was £5.25 before the increase still if I remember right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It has been around that price for a long time now, a year at least, maybe longer. If you have lost the Sports and Movie HD channels but your bill price hasn't changed then you can't be on the top package, you must have had the HD channels free for a period.

Kester,
    As a Sky subscriber since the beginning, should I ask for a "good price"? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kester,
    As a Sky subscriber since the beginning, should I ask for a "good price"? :)

It all depends on who you speak to at Sky. But if you are looking for a deal then asking for a good price probably won't get you anywhere, you would have to say you want to downgrade or cancel and they may offer you a deal, but that isn't guarenteed, they may just say "OK" and downgrade you! But of course there is a cooling off period so you can just call back and say you've changed your mind.

Remember they are a business, and like all businesses they want to make as much money as possible and in most cases loyalty means nothing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on who you speak to at Sky. But if you are looking for a deal then asking for a good price probably won't get you anywhere, you would have to say you want to downgrade or cancel and they may offer you a deal, but that isn't guarenteed, they may just say "OK" and downgrade you! But of course there is a cooling off period so you can just call back and say you've changed your mind.

Remember they are a business, and like all businesses they want to make as much money as possible and in most cases loyalty means nothing.

:cry::cry::cry:
  • deanmaddendeanmadden Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    When I subscribed to the full package about four months ago, I had to 'add' sky3d as an extra channel for £0.00 on the website to get it enabled, so I think it needs activating separately.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yep Sky 3d has to be added manually. Presumably only to track 3d subscribers.

individual programmes on that channel are blocked or available depending on your sub.
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yep Sky 3d has to be added manually. Presumably only to track 3d subscribers.

individual programmes on that channel are blocked or available depending on your sub.

Separate stations for Sports, Movies & Entertainment are required.
    Multiple repeats are probable in the short term but content will grow if 3D is looked at seriously by Sky & other broadcasters!!!!!!

Many 3D movies are out and if some sport/movies are filmed in 4K & 3D as default content will grow rapidly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    Separate stations for Sports, Movies & Entertainment are required.
    Multiple repeats are probable in the short term but content will grow if 3D is looked at seriously by Sky & other broadcasters!!!!!!

Many 3D movies are out and if some sport/movies are filmed in 4K & 3D as default content will grow rapidly

yep. esp as no 3d movies are available on demand. when Gravity first became available on PPV it took over Sky 3d, a pain as I'd only watched it in the cinema the week before!
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but content will grow if 3D is looked at seriously by Sky & other broadcasters!!!!!!

I think the current 3d format is past its best and on the slide,speaking as a household with 3 x 3D tvs in it
    Forum Member
    I think the current 3d format is past its best and on the slide,speaking as a household with 3 x 3D tvs in it

but had there been 3 channels (at least) with different genres with level of access restricted to subscription and 3d with ondemand i think the take up would have been much higher and therefore interest

3d in cinemas has proved to be a success and if all 3d films were priced at an equal level the rate of adoption would be closer to it being more mainstream and tvs would be hd and 3d by default in manufacture
    hopefully all standard tv's in 4k will also be 3d at launch
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,447
    Forum Member
    but had there been 3 channels (at least) with different genres with level of access restricted to subscription and 3d with ondemand i think the take up would have been much higher and therefore interest

3d in cinemas has proved to be a success and if all 3d films were priced at an equal level the rate of adoption would be closer to it being more mainstream and tvs would be hd and 3d by default in manufacture
    As has been said before by many posters, there's not enough 3D films or other programes for 3 separate channels, let alone 1.
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    THOMO wrote: »
    As has been said before by many posters, there's not enough 3D films or other programes for 3 separate channels, let alone 1.
    Ian.

It's catch 22!!!

If 3 channels then content is made to fill them.
    Forum Member
    It's catch 22!!!

If 3 channels then content is made to fill them.

And 3D is more expensive. It's all fantasy that. It will never happen. 1 3D channel dos'nt attract many viewers and I have Sky's full package and a 3D TV and I watch alot of 3D TV and 3 3D TV channels ain't going to happen. It's all fantasy I'm afraid!!
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whats needed is on demand 3d content, not a channel that you have to wait for the one slot a week where the programme you want is on.

Rather than show 1 or 2 3d films a day, you'd have the option of watching any of the films sky have the rights for - that's probably 30+ at any given time? Plus all the docus, festival stuff etc.

1 channel showing a broad mix is clumsy and unnecessary.
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    whats needed is on demand 3d content, not a channel that you have to wait for the one slot a week where the programme you want is on.

Rather than show 1 or 2 3d films a day, you'd have the option of watching any of the films sky have the rights for - that's probably 30+ at any given time? Plus all the docus, festival stuff etc.

1 channel showing a broad mix is clumsy and unnecessary.

The last article I read about 3D TV on the Internet is that it is attracting less viewers now than when it was launched. I hav'nt got a link for that article. The BBC where testing 3D, but they have discontinued that. The TV company in the USA which I think was ESPN which broadcast The US Masters Golf, The US French and US Tennis Opens in 3D have discontinued with 3D TV as well and those 3 Sports which where broadcast on Sky's 3D Channel, will not happen this year. A lot of TV Company's are discontinuing with 3D. Sky are continuing with it on the 1 channel. But it is a niche product.
    Ian.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There is not the amount of 3D content , simply look at CH170 on Sky and see how rewpetetive it is . due to the content either

A) Not been available
    B) To expensive for Sky to purchase to transmit

I noticed Gravity was recently on CH170 as a PPV , it was £7.49 , are you willing to pay that premium for 3d ?

I think when you ger a 3D tv you watch as much as you can , but it soon wears off and you fall back to HD viewing due to lack of content
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PPV 3D movies should be downloadable now to keep 170 free for normal sub programs and films.
    then there is no need for separate ent 3D, sports 3D and movies 3D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed Gravity was recently on CH170 as a PPV , it was £7.49 , are you willing to pay that premium for 3d ?

Silly prices aren't they? I paid less to watch it in the cinema.. just.
    I think when you ger a 3D tv you watch as much as you can , but it soon wears off and you fall back to HD viewing due to lack of content

I'm pretty enamoured with 3d still. I use it a lot for gaming as well, so very used to reaching for the glasses. Its a shame there's not enough content being shown by Sky. I expect for the next few years it will be reserved for 'big event' programming and films; any film with a lot of CGI is a no-brainer for being in 3d as well, barely any more effort.