Options

Nigel Farage should be excluded from TV election debates, says Ed Miliband

Comments

• Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    I don't know what UKIP would do in power.

Isn't that the position of almost everyone who supports them? For most of their supporters the fact that Ukip want to stop 'Johnny foreigner' coming over here stealing our jobs and (at the same time) our dole money, our houses, our hospital beds, our fresh air, our women, etc etc, is more than enough to get the support of certain 'types',
    Ask almost anyone who says they will vote for them what Ukip's policies are and in the majority of cases they neither know nor care, just like the supporters of the BNP they only know about the 'Johnny foreigner' part, and that's enough to get them to vote for that 'nice' chap.
  • Options
    Alex_Davies1973Alex_Davies1973 Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't that the position of almost everyone who supports them? For most of their supporters the fact that Ukip want to stop 'Johnny foreigner' coming over here stealing our jobs and (at the same time) our dole money, our houses, our hospital beds, our fresh air, our women, etc etc, is more than enough to get the support of certain 'types',
    Ask almost anyone who says they will vote for them what Ukip's policies are and in the majority of cases they neither know nor care, just like the supporters of the BNP they only know about the 'Johnny foreigner' part, and that's enough to get them to vote for that 'nice' chap.

You just don't get it do you if there are less immigrants coming to the UK there would be less pressure on jobs,on housing,NHS,schools which would be a good thing for everyone in Britain.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You just don't get it do you if there are less immigrants coming to the UK there would be less pressure on jobs,on housing,NHS,schools which would be a good thing for everyone in Britain.

Really, got any of that 'evidence' stuff to back up those claims?
    Tell me, what other Ukip policies do you support besides 'booo hisss nasty foreigners boo hisss'?
    Do you know of Ukip's links to several extreme European far right groups?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/10/ukip-faces-questions-far-right-europe-for-freedom-and-democracy

Farage claims that his is the only party that actually bans any ex members of the BNP from joining, as though it's something to be proud of, the other 3 parties don't need to take such measures Mr Farage because they have nothing that members of the BNP would find attractive, Ukip on the other hand,......

One of their prospective MP candidates said,
    One should not shy away from contemplating forced repatriation or threatening it

Ukip peer Lord Pearson wrote, "the Muslim's are breeding 10 times faster than 'us' I don't know at what point they reach such a number we are no longer able to resist 'the rest' of their demands"
    Erm,..... Which "demands" are these then? and what "demands" have they already made that we've given to them that we would give to any other religion?

A high ranking member Alexandra Swann sided with a Ukip councillor who said it was dangerous to allow those who don't work to vote,
    She is reported as saying, "Allowing people to vote on how other people's money is spent -if they don't contribute- is dangerous" presumably this would apply to the disabled as well,

Plenty more about them and their views here,
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/ukip-party-bigots-lets-look-evidence
    But hey, they want us out of the EU to stop those "bloody foreigners" from coming here, and that's good enough for 'some' people,
    Still, ya never know, they might even get the trains running on time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, got any of that 'evidence' stuff to back up those claims?
    Tell me, what other Ukip policies do you support besides 'booo hisss nasty foreigners boo hisss'?
    Do you know of Ukip's links to several extreme European far right groups?
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/10/ukip-faces-questions-far-right-europe-for-freedom-and-democracy

Farage claims that his is the only party that actually bans any ex members of the BNP from joining, as though it's something to be proud of, the other 3 parties don't need to take such measures Mr Farage because they have nothing that members of the BNP would find attractive, Ukip on the other hand,......

One of their prospective MP candidates said,

Erm,..... Which "demands" are these then? and what "demands" have they already made that we've given to them that we would give to any other religion?

A high ranking member Alexandra Swann sided with a Ukip councillor who said it was dangerous to allow those who don't work to vote,
    She is reported as saying, "Allowing people to vote on how other people's money is spent -if they don't contribute- is dangerous" presumably this would apply to the disabled as well,

Plenty more about them and their views here,
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/02/ukip-party-bigots-lets-look-evidence
    But hey, they want us out of the EU to stop those "bloody foreigners" from coming here, and that's good enough for 'some' people,
    Still, ya never know, they might even get the trains running on time?

Why can not see the more foreigners that come here there by more pressure on jobs,homes,schools, NHS ,I think we should put a limit on them, as it would help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can not see the more foreigners that come here there by more pressure on jobs,homes,schools, NHS ,I think we should put a limit on them, as it would help

But if they have jobs then they would need homes, if they have a job they pay taxes and if they pay taxes should they not have the exact same right to have their children educated and to have the same health care as any other tax payer?

As usual the fact that it's a two way street is lost on a lot of Brits, must be the 'little island mentality' or something, that little strip of water really has messed with the 'British mind.

You do know that there are estimated to be almost 2 million British adults living and working in EU countries? (I was one myself for almost 6 years) and that's not counting the dependants they may have with them, children, partners etc,
    What do you suppose will happen to these people once we boot the 'bloody foreigners' out and pull up the draw bridge? We kick out other countries nationals and they just let ours stay there because they're 'British don't ya know'?
    So what effect do you think over 2 million British people flooding back into this country would have on jobs, housing, schools, the NHS etc?
    And you do realise that the actual people (not the numbers but the people) who come here constantly changes, people come, work for a while, leave, others come work for a while, very few actually move here permanently,
    statistically the numbers coming here has been slowly decreasing, but then that doesn't frighten anyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But if they have jobs then they would need homes, if they have a job they pay taxes and if they pay taxes should they not have the exact same right to have their children educated and to have the same health care as any other tax payer?

As usual the fact that it's a two way street is lost on a lot of Brits, must be the 'little island mentality' or something, that little strip of water really has messed with the 'British mind.

You do know that there are estimated to be almost 2 million British adults living and working in EU countries? (I was one myself for almost 6 years) and that's not counting the dependants they may have with them, children, partners etc,
    What do you suppose will happen to these people once we boot the 'bloody foreigners' out and pull up the draw bridge? We kick out other countries nationals and they just let ours stay there because they're 'British don't ya know'?
    So what effect do you think over 2 million British people flooding back into this country would have on jobs, housing, schools, the NHS etc?
    And you do realise that the actual people (not the numbers but the people) who come here constantly changes, people come, work for a while, leave, others come work for a while, very few actually move here permanently,
    statistically the numbers coming here has been slowly decreasing, but then that doesn't frighten anyone.

So you think we should just let everyone in WTF>:(
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    That isn't true. Farage has policies on a vast amount of things.

They change when he gets tired of them or the nutters in UKIP prefer a harder line. You don't know which policies are current.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    They change when he gets tired of them or the nutters in UKIP prefer a harder line. You don't know which policies are current.

Still frit of UKIP?
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Here's a controversial idea. Why not use some of the money we save from paying into the EU coffers (that have never been signed off...) to subsidise STEM / medical university courses, nurse training and apprenticeships in trades with shortages. Perhaps then we would have near to full employment with our own children rather than immigrants. However in the mean time I am more than happy to shake the hand of any 'foreigner' who has come here to fill a vacancy that no UK national could do, or wish to do. My dentist is foreign (Portuguese I think) and I am fine with that. However, why do I not have a British dentist, well perhaps successive governments prefer to encourage foreign nationals rather than support home grown talent....

How many Brits have bought a one way ticket to, say Germany, on the whim of finding a job. Not a lot I would imagine. Most Brits working abroad will be already working for companies who have European (or global) contracts. Eg, Brit working for Siemens UK sent to work on a contract in Berlin for 12 months... As for those who have retired abroad, well they will be net benefactors to their local foreign economy and would not be sent packing as that would most probably hurt the local economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    Here's a controversial idea. Why not use some of the money we save from paying into the EU coffers (that have never been signed off...) to subsidise STEM / medical university courses, nurse training and apprenticeships in trades with shortages. Perhaps then we would have near to full employment with our own children rather than immigrants. However in the mean time I am more than happy to shake the hand of any 'foreigner' who has come here to fill a vacancy that no UK national could do, or wish to do. My dentist is foreign (Portuguese I think) and I am fine with that. However, why do I not have a British dentist, well perhaps successive governments prefer to encourage foreign nationals rather than support home grown talent....

We don't have enough home grown talent due to the crap education system that has been the norm for too many years.
    How many Brits have bought a one way ticket to, say Germany, on the whim of finding a job. Not a lot I would imagine. Most Brits working abroad will be already working for companies who have European (or global) contracts. Eg, Brit working for Siemens UK sent to work on a contract in Berlin for 12 months... As for those who have retired abroad, well they will be net benefactors to their local foreign economy and would not be sent packing as that would most probably hurt the local economy.

Even moving to an EU country, according to the rules, you must be in a position to support yourself. I'm not saying it is adhered to particularly stringently but certainly in France, you'd get little or no help. You are right that those who are retirees are a boost to both the national and local economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »

We don't have enough home grown talent due to the crap education system that has been the norm for too many years.

Even moving to an EU country, according to the rules, you must be in a position to support yourself. I'm not saying it is adhered to particularly stringently but certainly in France, you'd get little or no help. You are right that those who are retirees are a boost to both the national and local economy.

Our education system doesn't produce enough young adults with the skills that the country needs be that graduate engineers, nurses or plumbers. That is, as you say, crap. What we need to ask ourselves is why is that and how can we put that right? UKIP would like to see more grammar schools and greater investment in apprenticeships, which I believe to be a good thing too.

I support the entitlement of any national coming to work in this country so long as:
    1. The job cannot be fulfilled by a UK national due to ability or availability.
    2. The foreign national can speak English
    3. The foreign national has been offered the job prior to arrival in the UK.

As a country we need to be encouraging and supporting our own young adults to fulfil these jobs rather than looking elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our education system doesn't produce enough young adults with the skills that the country needs be that graduate engineers, nurses or plumbers. That is, as you say, crap. What we need to ask ourselves is why is that and how can we put that right? UKIP would like to see more grammar schools and greater investment in apprenticeships, which I believe to be a good thing too.

Our ability to produce well educated kids began to flounder in the sixties with Wilson's Labour government mass teacher recruitment via pretty useless teacher training colleges they set up and the start of comprehensives. Before that time we also had technical colleges for boys and girls from age 13.

More grammar schools would be great as would a return to technical colleges. and better teaching standards.
    I support the entitlement of any national coming to work in this country so long as:

As a country we need to be encouraging and supporting our own young adults to fulfil these jobs rather than looking elsewhere.
    Nothing I disagree with there but we have to vastly improve our education standards to achieve that.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can understand why Ed Miliband is concerned.

If Ed Miliand or (indeed) David Cameron did not want to appear on a stage with Nigel Farage, you can understand why.

There's a danger that both Messrs Mililband or Cameron would be upstaged by the political equivalent of a court jester who plays to the public galleries.

Any attempt by either Milliband or Cameron to steer the debate by asking Farage to discuss education, health, public finances or (say) devolved regional parliaments would met by Nigel Farage say "look at the political elites trying to be clever and too smart for the public.". And the public would repsond by saying "yes, we can understand Nigel Farage. Not these smart alec political leaders".

It would be cheap and vulgar television in which the winners would be those whose points were cheap and vulgar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    You can understand why Ed Miliband is concerned.

If Ed Miliand or (indeed) David Cameron did not want to appear on a stage with Nigel Farage, you can understand why.

There's a danger that both Messrs Mililband or Cameron would be upstaged by the political equivalent of a court jester who plays to the public galleries.

Any attempt by either Milliband or Cameron to steer the debate by asking Farage to discuss education, health, public finances or (say) devolved regional parliaments would met by Nigel Farage say "look at the political elites trying to be clever and too smart for the public.". And the public would repsond by saying "yes, we can understand Nigel Farage. Not these smart alec political leaders".

It would be cheap and vulgar television in which the winners would be those whose points were cheap and vulgar.

it would be good to the top politicians take down a peg or 2,i know some people don't him on television debate is because he does not fit in with a views on the world.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I demand people fix their bloody quotes.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The debates are not going to happen for 3 reasons:

1. After 2010 the Tories are now convinced that they are better off using the media get their message across unchallenged.

2. I doubt that Miliband is capable of speaking for an hour unscripted

3. If Farage isn't included the whole thing will be regarded as a joke. If he is then every single small party in the UK will launch a legal challenge to ensure they are included.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just like to point out that many of the courses/university places to study to enter some of the professions that we are told need immigrants to fill are very oversubscribed.

So what's going on?

Youngsters are getting the qualifications (A levels) to apply yet are being turned down at interview.
    Anybody with a youngster going through the rigmarole will tell you that getting into Uni to do certain courses is hard, getting onto apprenticeships is hard.

The education system is easily turning out enough youngsters to fill all the vacancies, the log jam is at the top.

I tend to think there is a bit of a snob/closed shop mentality going on in some professions. Can't have too many qualifying as that might reflect on how valuable we are seen as.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I tend to think there is a bit of a snob/closed shop mentality going on in some professions. Can't have too many qualifying as that might reflect on how valuable we are seen as.

I also believe this to be the case. I'm certain that there are trade professions that deliberately limit the number of apprenticeship places in order to maintain wage levels. In these cases they have no one to blame but themselves that immigrants have come and entered their market in such numbers.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

Pretty much par for the course. If you vote Conservative, you will get coalition policies that are different. Their current election policy is to throw some belated crumbs to their voters, and hope they don't notice what the cuts have meant. There's no point at all in a Liberal manifesto, as they will end up doing the opposite, if the coalition decides it. Labour hasn't got any policies at all - beyond throwing a few crumbs to its natural union and northern vote, and hoping the South won't notice its paying........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just like to point out that many of the courses/university places to study to enter some of the professions that we are told need immigrants to fill are very oversubscribed.

So what's going on?

Youngsters are getting the qualifications (A levels) to apply yet are being turned down at interview.
    Anybody with a youngster going through the rigmarole will tell you that getting into Uni to do certain courses is hard, getting onto apprenticeships is hard.

The education system is easily turning out enough youngsters to fill all the vacancies, the log jam is at the top.

Ever thought that despite having A-levels, the interview shows them up to be thick?

Ever thought that purely from a logistics point of view, the university system has to limit its intake and the selection process does just that.

I also believe this to be the case. I'm certain that there are trade professions that deliberately limit the number of apprenticeship places in order to maintain wage levels. In these cases they have no one to blame but themselves that immigrants have come and entered their market in such numbers.

Ever thought that the interview shows them up to be thick?

Ever thought that purely from a logistics point of view, companies have to limit their intake and the selection process does just that.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

So what's going on?

It would have a direct effect on salaries. There's probably two or three times as many people who could qualify as doctors, but the numbers are kept low because government won't pay to train them , and senior doctor salaries and private practice rates would fall towards French levels if you actually trained them. Same with law - plenty of law graduates - but a closed shop at the barrister level so only a few , mostly with money to sustain the training, can get there - so legal fees stay high. We ought to be funnelling more of our top graduates into research degrees too - but who but the rich can afford to add 4-5 years of postgraduate fees to their debt for undergraduate study.

With doctors its just far cheaper to take on some poorly paid E European, African or Asian doctor, or some W European coming from a country with lower salaries than to train a local. Better still, the overseas doctor may go away before they get really expensive and start creating things like pensions costs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The whole of the debates about Europe. Snooze.

JoI
    Do you have the slightest inkling what the European debate is about ?
    `Wake up and smell the coffee`
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ever thought that despite having A-levels, the interview shows them up to be thick?

Ever thought that purely from a logistics point of view, the university system has to limit its intake and the selection process does just that.

Ever thought that the interview shows them up to be thick?

Ever thought that purely from a logistics point of view, companies have to limit their intake and the selection process does just that.

Of course, having three A*s at A level doesn't mean that you are cut out for the course / career that you have in mind. That said Universities should be offering enough places to UK nationals to fill the UK employment shortfall. However as Labour / The Tories have turned universities into businesses it is now in their interest to offer as many places as possible to full fee paying foreign (and probably non EU) nationals. It is therefore down to the government to ensure that the universities, that they have turned into businesses, must offer the appropriate number of places to UK nationals. We are short of engineers, STEM subject teachers, nurses, midwifes, dentists etc....

Going back to the original point, perhaps applications are being turned down because school students show no initiative beyond 'passing the test' and a natural interest in their subject doesn't come through at interview?
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be good to the top politicians take down a peg or 2,i know some people don't him on television debate is because he does not fit in with a views on the world.

To me, the above comment doesn't make much sense. Are there some words missing ?
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member

... and this is precisely the reason UKIP must be afforded centre stage in the debates.

Either Farage is exposed, and his vote collapses, or else he's shown to be extremely popular, in which case the UK public deserve to be subjected to the fruits of UKIP policy.

I've said it before, to get this referendum out of the way, and to put Farage into a coalition where he is tasked with negotiating the UK out of Europe, would be a feast indeed. There wouldn't be enough popcorn in the whole of Europe to satisfy the demand.