Could I Have Dyspraxia?

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    radiofan wrote: »
    Sorry OP I just read through the thread and realised you're a teenager. A more appropiate forum for teens who think they have dyspraxia is below http://www.dyspraxicteens.org.uk/forum/

Thanks, I'll check that out :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swinetown wrote: »
    I think its pointless putting a label on yourself, it will stick with you and for what?
    How are you going to benefit by knowing?:)

My son had the same list of symptoms as the OP, he got referred to an Occupational Therapist at 15 and she has helped him enormously.

He could benefit from knowing by possibly getting professional help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll check that out :)

I didn't realise you were in your teens either OP, ask your GP if he/she can refer you to the O/T (take your list of symptoms). They are very helpful.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    My son had the same list of symptoms as the OP, he got referred to an Occupational Therapist at 15 and she has helped him enormously.

He could benefit from knowing by possibly getting professional help.

My son has duspraxia as part of his complex diagnosis (also autism, ADHD, hypermobility)

Apart from his educational statement he gets nothing- because dyspraxia isn't well known some of his teachers don't even know what it is

He's going into year 6 in September- I have already realised he needs a SEN secondary as inclusion IMO doesn't work

Being 'labelled' is helpful as it's good to know why things are as they are. I have endometriosis- can't change it but it's good to know why it hurts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    My son has duspraxia as part of his complex diagnosis (also autism, ADHD, hypermobility)

Apart from his educational statement he gets nothing- because dyspraxia isn't well known some of his teachers don't even know what it is

He's going into year 6 in September- I have already realised he needs a SEN secondary as inclusion IMO doesn't work

Being 'labelled' is helpful as it's good to know why things are as they are. I have endometriosis- can't change it but it's good to know why it hurts

I can't send you a PM for some reason, but I just wanted to say that I agree 100%! My son has the same issues and tourettes, and going to a standard secondary caused so may problems I home educate him now.

I found SENCOs and school in general to be near useless. Is your son registered with CAMHS? Getting a decent care coordinator made all the difference to my sons care, now he has a tutor twice a week, and sees an Occupational Therapist and a Speech Therapist, and has psychotherapy. So I would recommend you ensure you are getting the most from CAMHS.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I can't send you a PM for some reason, but I just wanted to say that I agree 100%! My son has the same issues and tourettes, and going to a standard secondary caused so may problems I home educate him now.

I found SENCOs and school in general to be near useless. Is your son registered with CAMHS? Getting a decent care coordinator made all the difference to my sons care, now he has a tutor twice a week, and sees an Occupational Therapist and a Speech Therapist, and has psychotherapy. So I would recommend you ensure you are getting the most from CAMHS.

I have found a perfect secondary for kids with autism and moderate learning difficulties ten minutes from our home - issue being its in the next borough. I am determined he will go to this school!

good luck with home educating - your braver then me!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CABLEDUDE wrote: »
    I was talking to someone that works at a primary school and we got onto the subject of dyspraxia, well anyway, she said a few things and I thought to myself, well I can't do those things either...

I can't tie my shoelaces properly and find knots difficult
    I can't ride a bike
    I find it difficult to swim
    I'm hopeless at manual stuff
    My hands used to go all over the place when I had to pour stuff like acid or powders in chemistry
    When I read books I have to really concentrate or re-read lines to take it in and get easily distracted
    When I'm listening to people like teachers or radio programmes I sometimes find it hard to take it in
    I can't take in a book being read to me
    I have been known to bump into things like doors
    Oh and I was hopeless at ball games

Or, alternatively, am I just a bit useless? :D

From a dyspraxic - honestly, you couldn't sound more dyspraxic! Ask your GP to refer you to a clinical psychologist. :)