Toast of London - C4, Mondays 10pm

degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
Forum Member
A new sitcom written by Arthur Mathews (Father Ted, Big Train), starring Matt Berry (The IT Crowd). Successful actor Toast decides to star in a new controversial West End stage play.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/toast-of-london
Sitcom following Steven Toast, a successful actor who has made a recent career faux pas by electing to star in a new controversial West End stage play

Ep1
Toast is asked to audition for long-running television series 'Summer Time Murders'. However, the producer has been imprisoned for racial chanting on the set of his own production, so Toast has to audition for the part of a gay corrupt detective during prisoners' visiting time.

Comments

• VirginMediaPhilVirginMediaPhil Posts: 2,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it! :D
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    It was OK I suppose.

Matt Berry was in it, playing Matt Berry.
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst character in The IT Crowd now becomes the worst character in his own sitcom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was great, slow in parts but definitely has potential. Better than the competition on the other channels.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ir was very good. Well paced (mostly), suitably barmy, some great gags and well acted. Everything you could wish for in a comedy, but so rarely get these days.
  • Mr PerksMr Perks Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found myself laughing wildly at times, yawning at times and feeling embarrassed for those on the screen at times. Talk about uneven!
  • Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ickk. After giving it ten whole minutes I just switched it off, and I'm a great fan of his character in the IT-Crowd.
    How come this wasn't funny?
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole C4 Funny Fortnight is very hit and miss and more not funny than funny
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The whole C4 Funny Fortnight is very hit and miss and more not funny than funny

I hate to admit it but Vic & Bob's Popadoodledandy was awful.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Vic & Bob
    Spent force. Haven't been relevant or funny for years and in reality were never as good as our memories of them.
  • amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A new sitcom written by Arthur Mathews (Father Ted, Big Train), starring Matt Berry (The IT Crowd). Successful actor Toast decides to star in a new controversial West End stage play.

Ep1
    I missed it but saw a good clip from it (4od won't screen the whole programme). Is that link you give here reshowing the first episode on 26 aug? I guess it must be since it's a pilot yes?
  • MeldrewmanMeldrewman Posts: 3,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    I missed it but saw a good clip from it (4od won't screen the whole programme). Is that link you give here reshowing the first episode on 26 aug? I guess it must be since it's a pilot yes?

The only showing I can find is on 4Seven Sky 140) at 0005 on the 26th (that's just after midnight on the 25th*)

* Not trying to be funny - I always get mixed up with progs just after midnight!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can watch it on the 4oD Comedy YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXO6S77DY0s

I do like the theme tune for this show!
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    New series starting tonight

Comedy series following Steven Toast, an eccentric middle-aged actor with a chequered past who spends more time dealing with his problems off stage than performing on it
    Toast of London: Addictive PersonalitySunday 10:40pm
    Comedy. Matt Berry is the eccentric Steven Toast, a middle-aged actor with a chequered past who spends more time dealing with his problems off stage than performing on it.
    Season1/1
    Episode1/6
    Length30 mins
    Entertainment, Comedy
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taping this, I like Matt Berry. Something just ever so 'off' about him but in a good way.
  • loddellboshloddellbosh Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    WTF am I watching? :confused:
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stop laughing
  • prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,092
    Forum Member
    Several laugh out loud bits for me, certainly enough to encourage me to come back for more next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I saw the pilot for this and thought it was very good, so I'm glad it's been made into a series. We need more Matt Berry on TV!
  • nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I couldn't stop laughing

Same here, the Bruce Forsyth thing was genius. :D
  • nicktrownicktrow Posts: 869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst thing since Noel Fieldings Luxury Comedy.
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    It reminded me of Mighty Boosh in a way
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked it .

has anyone else noticed that he looks like Dickie Davis ?

• sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed that - odd at times, but some very funny bits :)
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to next week.