Excessive cost of Thatcher's funeral and tributes

mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It is being reported that the funeral of Lady Thatcher will cost the taxpayer £10m, mainly for security.

Sky News is reporting that the last recall of parliament during a recess cost £44,000. There will probably be a similar cost when MPs and peers pay tribute to her.

Surely at a time of cuts in everyday services the public uses and needs, this huge amount of money should not be spent commemorating the life of Lady Thatcher.

A far more sensible solution would have been for her family to have a private funeral, followed some time later by a public service of commemoration. This would have elimated the military parade and the consequent massive costs.

Even now, politicians do not seem to understand that they, too, should spend public money with caution.

Comments

• wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As William Hague rightly said this morning, the rebate that Mrs T secured from us from the EU has saved us all £75 billion. Put into context, what the country will spend to thank her is small change.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it should have been a private funeral then memorial for someone so controversial. I can't remember the last time someone received a public funeral who had so much animosity levelled at them by a great number of the public. Certainly not the Queen Mother or Diana. It just all seems a bit wrong.
  • wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    As William Hague rightly said this morning, the rebate that Mrs T secured from us from the EU has saved us all £75 billion. Put into context, what the country will spend to thank her is small change.

So no deficit then or just a smaller one, a deficit nonetheless.

I don't support state funerals or other costs associated with demise, or for that matter weddings, for anyone whatsover, especially in these financial circumstances.

I also think private funerals are as a rule more dignified.

It stops nobody who wants to paying their respects, even remotely via books of condolance, sending messages etc.
  • PandorianPandorian Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I agree that it should have been a private funeral then memorial for someone so controversial. I can't remember the last time someone received a public funeral who had so much animosity levelled at them by a great number of the public. Certainly not the Queen Mother or Diana. It just all seems a bit wrong.

Complain to your MP - they may be one of those who supported the arrangements.
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need to worry. The Government are pushing through alterations regarding Taxpayer funding of Trade Unions. We could afford to have the funeral procession march all the way to Gratham and back and still have a serious amount of money left over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    No need to worry. The Government are pushing through alterations regarding Taxpayer funding of Trade Unions. We could afford to have the funeral procession march all the way to Gratham and back and still have a serious amount of money left over.

Be you for or against those measures the money saved could be better used elsewhere IMO.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good news indeed.

I like to see inventive ways to save money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Changes long overdue. :D
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Small change!!!

How about you tell that to the actual real disabled people having to undergo shameful tests which could result in many of them losing their benefits!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    So no deficit then or just a smaller one, a deficit nonetheless.

The legacy of Brown, not Thatcher.
    I don't support state funerals or other costs associated with demise, or for that matter weddings, for anyone whatsover, especially in these financial circumstances.

You are entitled to that opinion.
    I also think private funerals are as a rule more dignified.

That's nice.
    It stops nobody who wants to paying their respects, even remotely via books of condolance, sending messages etc.

People will do that anyway.
  • Analogue110Analogue110 Posts: 3,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike1948 wrote: »
    It is being reported that the funeral of Lady Thatcher will cost the taxpayer £10m, mainly for security.

Sky News is reporting that the last recall of parliament during a recess cost £44,000. There will probably be a similar cost when MPs and peers pay tribute to her.

Surely at a time of cuts in everyday services the public uses and needs, this huge amount of money should not be spent commemorating the life of Lady Thatcher.

A far more sensible solution would have been for her family to have a private funeral, followed some time later by a public service of commemoration. This would have elimated the military parade and the consequent massive costs.

Even now, politicians do not seem to understand that they, too, should spend public money with caution.

As the Queen will be attending, and maybe other heads of state as well, it's got to be a big occasion. As to the cost, £10 million is probably not much more than the Foreign Office paper clip budget,.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The news ticker on Sky News has just put that the "Independent parliamentary standards authority confirms that MPs can claim up to £3,750 to travel back to Westminster for recall if they are overseas".

Will cost alot more than £44,000 if there are a few of them overseas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Be you for or against those measures the money saved could be better used elsewhere IMO.

I was being slightly facetious (hope you got that). Of course taxpayers money could always be spent better but that argument applies to every single penny on every single line in every single department in Government and local Government - it doesn't just apply to this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Small change!!!

How would you describe the difference between £75 billion and £10 million???:rolleyes:
    How about you tell that to the actual real disabled people having to undergo shameful tests which could result in many of them losing their benefits!

So people should received benefits without being tested? Let's just hand out tax payers money to anyone then :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The legacy of Brown, not Thatcher.

You are entitled to that opinion.

That's nice.

People will do that anyway.

Why does it matter whose legacy it is when we are in the situation now and need to save money now? You don't say that about other aspects of cuts.

And if people will do that anyway (pay their respects) then does that not prove my point that there does not need to be a public procession?

What are the opportunity costs to business of closing the streets?

NB this applies to all such state occasions IMO
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shell1981 wrote: »
    The news ticker on Sky News has just put that the "Independent parliamentary standards authority confirms that MPs can claim up to £3,750 to travel back to Westminster for recall if they are overseas".

Will cost alot more than £44,000 if there are a few of them overseas.

Very interesting. Next....:yawn:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was being slightly facetious (hope you got that). Of course taxpayers money could always be spent better but that argument applies to every single penny on every single line in every single department in Government and local Government - it doesn't just apply to this.

I did get that, and I agree with you.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go with the usual 'other savings could be made elsewhere' crap. This saving could be made right here and this is the one being discussed so those arguments are diversionary. We're paying for a Tory party propaganda stunt. Of course, that pleases Tories.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £10m is chickenfeed as is the cost of security for any major event in London such as the visit of the US President or the Pope. Besides, it's not as if the money just vanishes - it goes into people's pockets. Funny how these lefties are all against austerity are suddenly against public spending.

Besides, the funeral will be broadcast all around the world. Without an Olympics, Jubilee or Royal Wedding this year it's a chance to show off London again to the world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does it matter whose legacy it is when we are in the situation now and need to save money now? You don't say that about other aspects of cuts.

You brought it up, so only you can answer that.
    And if people will do that anyway (pay their respects) then does that not prove my point that there does not need to be a public procession?

It is a mark of respect by the state for someone who ensured that invasion of British territory was repelled and brought a sense of national worth and pride back to this country. Perhaps you are too young to remember it.
    What are the opportunity costs to business of closing the streets?

No idea.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How would you describe the difference between £75 billion and £10 million???:rolleyes:

So people should received benefits without being tested? Let's just hand out tax payers money to anyone then :rolleyes:

£10 million is 10 million. Its not small change. No wonder the Tories waste so much and they have the cheek to call Labour out. How many U Turns has Hague and his pals done? all wasted money. One thing I will say about Thatcher is at least she made a decision and stuck to it. This current lot aren't fit to lick her boots.

You miss the entire point of this benefit shake up and the genuine concern real disabled people are now having. My cousin's friend is going to lose half his benefit because he is able to walk 20 yards. Yet he lost both arms, suffers fits and so unable to hold a job because of the lasting effects having meningitis in the 90s caused. You think that's acceptable? I suppose the extra £40 a week he stands to lose is just 50p to you if you just view 10 million as small change.
  • MeercamMeercam Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better than throwing money at the nation's Philpotts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can we not spend it on the poor instead and let Thatcher's wealthy family pay for her funeral?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Here we go with the usual 'other savings could be made elsewhere' crap. This saving could be made right here. We're paying for a Tory party stunt.

Here we go with the usual "I don't agree with this so I'm going to call it a Tory party stunt despite the fact nearly half the country approve of Thatcher and leaders from all over the world will be flying in for it"..... crap.
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is enough tax payers money spent on those who are less deserving. If she had been loved by all I doubt if the cost would be an issue. Nobody is talking about the cost of cleaning up after the pond life who plan to take to the streets to celebrate and indulge in a spot of rioting at the same time.

She paid her share of tax over the years and her estate will be paying into the system so as a former prime minister of many years a state funeral is appropriate. Maybe they could deduct it from the benefits paid to some of the terrorists we support. That would never have been tolerated under her government.