BBC2 early snooker finish

hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
Forum Member
✭✭
Two whole hours of TV to fill tonight, Starting with hairy bikers :D

Comments

• BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Typical of course that they move the final forward an hour to avoid a late finish and you end up with one of the quickest finals ever.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to Coast :(
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who won then? I didnt see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I was looking forward to Coast :(

are they not using that as a filler then?
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    are they not using that as a filler then?
    No. Hairy Bikers then Operation Crossbow then Toughest Place To Be...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Hairy Bikers then Operation Crossbow then Toughest Place To Be...

are they all repeats?
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this the argument about the BBC not having cricket ie. on all day (and night), finishing times uncertain, gaps when there's no play?
    Forum Member
    are they all repeats?
    The Hairy Bikers episode is quite an old one from one of their earliest series.
    I believe the other two are repeats. Operation Crossbow was on the other week but the other one is from the original series. A newer 'return to' series was shown the other week.
  • mrmattybeckmrmattybeck Posts: 1,697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Time for plenty of episodes of coast:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    Isn't this the argument about the BBC not having cricket ie. on all day (and night), finishing times uncertain, gaps when there's no play?

I dont see an issue with scheduling for all day sports programs that might finish early. The channel (in this case it was BBC2), needs an idea of the longest time the event will run, along with the shortest, then have backup programming ready to run to fill any time. They will need more than just that time though, of course, as they need different length programs for different timings!
    Forum Member
    That's why Coast is such a godsend though. It can thretch from 3 minutes to 3 hours :D
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    That's why Coast is such a godsend though. It can thretch from 3 minutes to 3 hours :D

And it's pure PSB too, perfect for the job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

yes they just re-edit till they have the required length!
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall when the Dennis Taylor/Steve Davis final in the 1980s overran about three hours! The continuity announcer then followed the programme with "And now, slightly later than advertised....." and the shows scheduled were transmitted!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall when the Dennis Taylor/Steve Davis final in the 1980s overran about three hours! The continuity announcer then followed the programme with "And now, slightly later than advertised....." and the shows scheduled were transmitted!:D

in those days they had the closedown though, so I guess they could just delay that and or squeeze any less popular programs out.
    Forum Member
    All they have now though is "This is BBC2". No reason why shows couldn't be shown in that block.
  • Dave5158Dave5158 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could tell the spectators were following the BBC's commentry because when one of the commentators made a quip about matches finishing so quick, he mentioned (jokingly) how years ago there was a player who might not have even hit the first ball in the time it was taking to complete a frame. You coud hear the spectators chuckle at the remark.
    Forum Member
    Dave5158 wrote: »
    You could tell the spectators were following the BBC's commentry because when one of the commentators made a quip about matches finishing so quick, he mentioned (jokingly) how years ago there was a player who might not have even hit the first ball in the time it was taking to complete a frame. You coud hear the spectators chuckle at the remark.
    They only have the choice of the BBC commentators. The Eurosport commentators have no idea what the crowd are chuckling about.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If say the BBC had cricket and it rained or the players went off for bad light, the break might only be like 20 minutes unlikely but possible, they would either have to break into the filler programme, or miss a bit of the cricket, fans will go uproar either way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If say the BBC had cricket and it rained or the players went off for bad light, the break might only be like 20 minutes unlikely but possible, they would either have to break into the filler programme, or miss a bit of the cricket, fans will go uproar either way

well they would need about 10-20 about 5 min programs, then they could get advance warning (of about 5 min or so) that the cricket is about to start, so that they could be ready to come out of the program and back to the cricket. They might go back slightly early by doing that but I think it would work ok.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well they would need about 10-20 about 5 min programs, then they could get advance warning (of about 5 min or so) that the cricket is about to sta

I tis probably gonna be years if at all Cricket returns to the BEEB, but i cant imagine viewers, would be happy, to see presenters sit at ground, while viewers are looking at covers like Sky do.
    Forum Member
    DQF means there is no reason why BBC2 cannot show cricket all day.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They wouldn't show a different programme to fill the break, they'd have done as they did when they did have the rights and either fill tine with a discussion or highlights of an old match.
    Forum Member
    franchise wrote: »
    They wouldn't show a different programme to fill the break, they'd have done as they did when they did have the rights and either fill tine with a discussion or highlights of an old match.

Yes... I'm not sure why people are trying to make the coverage more complicated than it actually is.
  • Paul GraysonPaul Grayson Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    franchise wrote: »

I remember them showing the odd film (usually 633 Squadron) on Saturdays if it was certain a whole morning session had been lost to bad weather.