Options

Bit rates used on Freeview SD.

Hybrid telliesHybrid tellies Posts: 1,580
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just a matter of my own personal interest does anyone know where I could get details of the bit rates, Kbps/Mbp,s used on Freeview SD both for audio and video ?

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a matter of my own personal interest does anyone know where I could get details of the bit rates, Kbps/Mbp,s used on Freeview SD both for audio and video ?

Varies with channel and mux. If you have a box with recording capability and able to export recordings to a PC then Medianinfo will give you all the details.

If you are interested in a particular channel then I can check for you. It will have to be available in the Midlands (Lark Stoke)
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although I have no way of measuring bit rates, from observations relating to time displays on my Topfield box with adjacent programmes on BBC2, it looks possible that the rate may even vary between individual programmes on a given channel.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    albertd wrote: »
    Although I have no way of measuring bit rates, from observations relating to time displays on my Topfield box with adjacent programmes on BBC2, it looks possible that the rate may even vary between individual programmes on a given channel.

PSB 1 is stat muxed, so the video bit rate for all channels will vary, although the coders will be set to 'floor' and 'ceiling' values which may well differ for each channel. (For instance BBC 1 having a higher values that BBC Parly).

I've got a feeling all six DTT muxes employ stat muxing ?
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=BBCA&pid=4164&live=9&lang=en and the associated pages show some interesting information for all the muxes in London (and other countries).

I'm pretty sure MarkC is right in that all muxes are now using stat muxing for the advantages it gives... and the above site shows that to be so (except the SDN mux would not display correctly for me).
  • Options
    DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    PSB 1 is stat muxed, so the video bit rate for all channels will vary, although the coders will be set to 'floor' and 'ceiling' values which may well differ for each channel. (For instance BBC 1 having a higher values that BBC Parly).
    Do you know if BBC1 is now included in the stat mux mix?

A few years ago the other BBC channels were stat muxed but BBC1 operated at a high fixed bitrate. ISTR it was done to make the BBC1 regional opt-outs simpler. The other BBC channels could be stat muxed separately in London and the various regions then added BBC1 as required. (Special arrangements were made for the national variants of BBC2).

I'm just interested to know if/when this changed.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    DX30 wrote: »

A few years ago the other BBC channels were stat muxed but BBC1 operated at a high fixed bitrate. ISTR it was done to make the BBC1 regional opt-outs simpler. The other BBC channels could be stat muxed separately in London and the various regions then added BBC1 as required. (Special arrangements were made for the national variants of BBC2).

BBC One is stat muxed and has been like that since before digital switchover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    BBC One is stat muxed and has been like that since before digital switchover.
    Thanks for confirming this.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Thanks for confirming this.
    You may be interested in comment 3 from the BBC's Andrew Bowden in this 2008 blog post: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcilabs/2008/11/selkirk_westlondon.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice read - I can see why doing it in conjunction with DSO was an obvious time. Given the rolling nature of DSO and the way some channels changed mux at DSO they were going to have to run two systems in parallel. It must have made a lot of sense to install the new kit in each region as part of the DSO process and stat mux BBC1 at the same time as well.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?mux=BBCA&pid=4164&live=9&lang=en and the associated pages show some interesting information for all the muxes in London (and other countries).

They are using big GOPs these days, the main PSB channels seem to be limited to 24 frames, but other channels range from the high 20s to 42 frames.

I think I remember rightly the standard GOP was once 12 frames, then the COM muxes started using 18 and up. This must be a big factor in the number of channels that can be carried. And with GOPs being variable they can sync with when the scenes change.

The price for more channels is slower channel changes, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard some time back that on mpeg2 a reasonable SD picture requires 20-24Mbps, TV sound is 256Mbps and most radio channels use 192Kbps. Just wondered if anyone could confirm this?
  • Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard some time back that on mpeg2 a reasonable SD picture requires 20-24Mbps, TV sound is 256Mbps and most radio channels use 192Kbps. Just wondered if anyone could confirm this?

I think you may have been confused.

mpeg2 at that sort of bitrate is impossible for SD (720 x 576) and way beyond the capability of SD DVD/Digital TV.

mpeg2 can be used on Blu-ray at HD resolutions (1920 x 1080) but requires much higher bitrates than the more efficient H264/AVC codec which can produce excellent pictures with a good encoder at much lower bitrates.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That mpeg2 rate sounds too high. As a comparison ISTR the maximum for DVD video is 9.8 Mbits/sec and the average rate is lower, maybe around half that (it varies a lot).
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A nice read - I can see why doing it in conjunction with DSO was an obvious time. Given the rolling nature of DSO and the way some channels changed mux at DSO they were going to have to run two systems in parallel. It must have made a lot of sense to install the new kit in each region as part of the DSO process and stat mux BBC1 at the same time as well.
    There is no code and mux kit in the nations /regions now .. That is the whole point of centralised coding and mux.
    ...and stat muxing the whole mux.

The BBC one regionalality was added by having one coder in each region which was added (actually a drop add fir resilience) that coder fed the opt switch from either a decoder from a higher bit rate feed or the local studio.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no code and mux kit in the nations /regions now .. That is the whole point of centralised coding and mux.
    ...and stat muxing the whole mux.
    Sorry, I should have said install the kit for each region not in. Andrew Bowden's blog linked to by a516 does say the local programming is sent to London.
    The BBC one regionalality was added by having one coder in each region which was added (actually a drop add fir resilience) that coder fed the opt switch from either a decoder from a higher bit rate feed or the local studio.
    ISTR reading a whitepaper about the old system on the bbc website. I don't know if there is anything similar for the new, I must have a browse sometime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks that site is very interesting, so its about 4-5mbps for SD video. Most of the SD channels look good on our 15 year old Philips CRT telly fed from a 5 year old Humax box. Despite heavy use the tube in this set is still very good and gives good sharp pictures on most of the Freeview channels and the sound through its front facing coaxial speakers is very good and far better than that from the new LCD/Plasma sets.
  • Options
    RodneyRodney Posts: 4,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, SD MPEG2 needs to run at about 6Mbps as that is the sweet spot for the MPEG2 codec. However most channels on Freeview/Freesat run at less than half that so look shite on large flatscreen TVs. MPEG2 HD is about 3 times that rate, although UK HD channels now use MPEG4 and that only needs half the bitrate to look good, so runs at 7-9Mbps for most of the time.

Interesting that the bitrate for TV sound is either 256kbps or 192kbps MPEG2 audio at 48kHz (DVD Quality) but DAB radio which uses the same codec is trying to convince everyone that 128kbps is all you need to transmit high quality stereo to the masses!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most TV SD stations use 256Kbps for the audio and do sound very good. Most radio station on Freeview, Freesat, use 192kbps and sounds as good as a clear FM radio signal. DAB which also uses mpeg2 mostly uses 128Kbps and sounds noticeably worse than the same station on Freeview. Radio 2 is a good example. Absolute radio only uses 112kbps on DAB and sounds aweful but with 192kbps on Freeview sounds great.
  • Options
    EEPhilEEPhil Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    ... Most radio station on Freeview, Freesat, use 192kbps and sounds as good as a clear FM radio signal. DAB which also uses mpeg2 mostly uses 128Kbps and sounds noticeably worse than the same station on Freeview. Radio 2 is a good example. Absolute radio only uses 112kbps on DAB and sounds aweful but with 192kbps on Freeview sounds great.

As one of the few people who actually thinks radio on Freeview is a good thing - I hope the BBCs choice of radio and bitrates is kept and not sacrificed (as with BBC Alba in Scotland) to bring in BBC One+1. DAB with its poor bitrates and mono R4X and R4 (sometimes) is just not a viable option - and not easily timeshifted. And I can't afford freesat, or excessive internet use.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member

This used to be the case for the English Regions, while The Nations were able to stat mux their whole portfolio (and use their own idents). Initially for digital TV, all but BBC One on the BBCA mux channels not being regionalised, were stat muxed from Crystal Palace, and distributed to the English regions. The MUX then also carried a fixed 7.5MB/sec version of BBC One London. The region could switch in or out their own fixed bit rate regional opt-out content to replace it.

Nowadays The Regions have progressed to be able to stat mux the entire portfolio on BBCA themselves. I'm not sure exactly what date the change took place.
  • Options
    Dr.OliverTwichDr.OliverTwich Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowadays The Regions have progressed to be able to stat mux the entire portfolio on BBCA themselves. I'm not sure exactly what date the change took place.
    Nope.
    The BBC moved all the Code & Mux kit to one location (well two - duplicate and diverse centres in fact) and the local programmes are 'switched to' as required.
    All studio centres have duplicated feeds to the centre(s).

Twas some considerable time ago --- oh yes at DSO for each region (as the analogues no longer needed to go via the studios)!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The MUX then also carried a fixed 7.5MB/sec version of BBC One London. The region could switch in or out their own fixed bit rate regional opt-out content to replace it.

It was 4.5 Mb/s, (7.5 would have been luxury !) Actually 4.5 looked pretty good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope.
    The BBC moved all the Code & Mux kit to one location (well two - duplicate and diverse centres in fact) and the local programmes are 'switched to' as required.
    All studio centres have duplicated feeds to the centre(s).

Twas some considerable time ago --- oh yes at DSO for each region

I think in most cases, for most regions it was before DSO (in those regions) ?

I remember BBC 1 here in the South taking a drop in quality (and a drop in average file size on my PVR) well before our DSO (Feb 2012)
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark C wrote: »
    I think in most cases, for most regions it was before DSO (in those regions) ?

I remember BBC 1 here in the South taking a drop in quality (and a drop in average file size on my PVR) well before our DSO (Feb 2012)

The interesting thing is there must have been a feed back to London from each region for Dsat uplink, or did they do that in the regions too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    The interesting thing is there must have been a feed back to London from each region for Dsat uplink, or did they do that in the regions too?

No, the uplink was always done centrally in London. They took a copy of feed that fed the local DTT coder, and sent that back to London for D-Sat.

Now everything is coded and muxed in London (and another secret location) The Beeb could (but haven't yet) gone a stage further and copied ITV, by applying the opt out switch in London too. That
    would remove the requirement for each region to have a quality network feed delivered to them. Advantages and disadvantages to either method. ITV Anglia experienced the disadvantage to London controlled opting a few years ago:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkTV2Jza0xc

And with no one's marriage compromised, Meridian:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI3uA-FgpH0