Options

How can you forget the words to Diamonds are Forever?

Comments

• Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its worse that she forgot the words to Whitney biggest song.
  • Options
    MankoManko Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's possib;e to forget the words to any song once you are on stage performing it.

Peter Gabrial says he used to regularly forget the words to songs when on stage with Genesis.

David Lee Roth forgot the words to You Really Got Me on Van Halen's first album so made some up and it was actually kept on the album.

This was the point made by Sharom Osbounre about how she should have just kept going rather than going "oops".
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In one word 'Nerves' . As with most of the contestants in the show, with the exception of Sam B, she is very inexperienced, and that only comes in time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I would have made something up to keep the momentum

It isn't the best version I have heard, but there are plenty worse than her in the competition or is she this year's hate figure?
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen Paul McCartney forget words that he has sung for years, I have seen James Hetfield forget the words to songs that he wrote. It is easy done
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of rubbish!

The theme tunes from From Russia With Love, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Live And Let Die and Goldfinger are all classics and I could sing them all without forgetting the words.
    Why would anyone know the words to Diamonds Are Forever? It's a rubbish song with an ugly sentiment. It's a lesser Bond film and itwas totally wrong for Tamera.

The only Bond song anyone remembers more than a line of is Nobody Does It Better, because it's the only good one. All the rest are shite, and that includes View To A Kill and Skyfall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you can forget the words to any song if you're up singing it in front of millions. Janet Devlin forgot the words to Mmbop remember! It is disappointing for a contestant to slip up this far in, but I still think she pulled it back and did better than most of the others last night.

This series has had absolutely awful song choices throughout though and last night was no exception.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a load of rubbish!

The theme tunes from From Russia With Love, Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, Live And Let Die and Goldfinger are all classics and I could sing them all without forgetting the words.

Lucky you, as someone who doesn't like any James Bond film I can guarantee I couldn't sing any of them apart from the chorus
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I literally only know the words "Diamonds are forever" from the song! And those words conjure up the Kanye version, Diamonds from Sierra Leone.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    Lucky you, as someone who doesn't like any James Bond film I can guarantee I couldn't sing any of them apart from the chorus

Well, you did better then Tamera

Diamonds are forever,
    They are all I need to please me,
    They can stimulate and tease me,
    They won't leave in the night,
    I've no fear that they might desert me.
    Diamonds are forever,
    Hold one up and then caress it,
    Touch it, stroke it and undress it,
    I can see every part,
    Nothing hides in the heart to hurt me.

I don't need love,
    For what good will love do me?
    Diamonds never lie to me,
    For when love's gone,
    They'll luster on.

Diamonds are forever,
    Sparkling round my little finger.
    Unlike men, the diamonds linger;
    Men are mere mortals who
    Are not worth going to your grave for.

I don't need love,
    For what good will love do me?
    Diamonds never lie to me,
    For when love's gone,
    They'll luster on.

Diamonds are forever, forever, forever.
    Diamonds are forever, forever, forever.
    Forever and ever.

Whats hard about that. They fit the sweep of the song.

Perhaps she has learning difficulties? If so, why a proffessional singe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I don't know the words but then I'm not singing live in front of millions on a Saturday night.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen lots of big name acts using on stage prompters at live gigs like these http://teleprompter-rental-nyc.com/on-stage-prompter/
    Looking for a way to remember to lyrics to a song while on stage?

Want a clever and unobtrusive way to have the lines to your live theatrical performance on stage where you need them without the audience seeing them?

Your solution is our On Stage Prompter system.

Have your lyrics displayed on stage. Select your monitor size, between 32″, 19″ or 15″ monitors.

Our On Stage Prompter monitors are unobtrusive and invisible to your audience.
    And these are artists often performing their own material that they have been rehearsing, performing and touring for ages. Then there are the performers that barely sing live anyway and can end up judging a singing contest like Britney Spears. I think a girl with the singing talent of Tamera should be cut some slack for the odd problem with a lyric.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    She is in the Live Finals of X Factor, Not some church hall talent show. Forgetting words, and being excused for forgetting words is simply not good enough.
  • Options
    EdgarKEdgarK Posts: 1,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't see why anyone cares. Remembering the words is irrelevant in a recording studio, and if she goes on tour a repertoire of 20 or so songs which she's performed over and over again will see her through the first couple of years. Artists with thirty or forty years' experience regularly fluff the words to their songs, particularly if they're departing from a smaller present repertoire into back catalogue numbers which many a fan is likely to know better than they do. Yes, they're generally better at ad-libbing to make the fact less obvious at least to anyone who doesn't know the words, but why anyone should be bothered whether Tamera is the finished article in that department yet... well, it just defeats me.

As for knowing the song already, I've heard it a few times no doubt in my 54 years but wouldn't be able to provide many of the words beyond an obvious few. Nobody has the time or will to listen to everything that's out there and songs familiar in one household will be unknown in another. My own gasp of surprise last night came when Sam Bailey revealed that she'd not known Something, and I'm no more a Beatles fan than a Bond one.
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is true but they're usually used by singers who are getting on a bit and have a large body of work to remember.
    Tamera only has one song a week to remember, it's not that much of a struggle, especially if that's what your whole week revolves around.
    IanP wrote: »
    I've seen lots of big name acts using on stage prompters at live gigs like these http://teleprompter-rental-nyc.com/on-stage-prompter/ And these are artists often performing their own material that they have been rehearsing, performing and touring for ages. Then there are the performers that barely sing live anyway and can end up judging a singing contest like Britney Spears. I think a girl with the singing talent of Tamera should be cut some slack for the odd problem with a lyric.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Considering she 'chose the song' herself, you'd expect her to remember the words, especially as she's been rehearsing nonstop for most of the week. Thank goodness she didn't sing Bohemian Rhapsody...

The song choices this series have been absolutely awful.
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It made me laugh on Xtra Factor when Sam B said she'd had a hard week because she had to learn a song she didn't know. Learning a song in a week, hell even a day, shouldn't be an issue for anyone, let alone a professional singer.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't just forgetting the lyrics for me, I really thought she was poor last night and couldnt understand the judges saying it was her best performance
  • Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    It wasn't just forgetting the lyrics for me, I really thought she was poor last night and couldnt understand the judges saying it was her best performance

I thought she was pretty much on a par with her other live show performances other than the slip up. But that's the problem with Tamera for me she's always been good, just never great. I agreed with what Gary said actually, that she has everything there, it's just never clicked into place so far.
  • Options
    IanPIanP Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting the Tamera turned down Bohemian Rhapsody as that's a song that regularly has the lyrics butchered to get it down from 5 minutes 55 seconds to two and a half minutes or less for singing shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    I thought she was pretty much on a par with her other live show performances other than the slip up. But that's the problem with Tamera for me she's always been good, just never great. I agreed with what Gary said actually, that she has everything there, it's just never clicked into place so far.

Gary is spot on. All the parts are there but they don't seem to join up and there is something missing. I just wonder if this is all too soon for Tamera and she'd have been better waiting a couple of years
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    IanP wrote: »
    It's interesting the Tamera turned down Bohemian Rhapsody as that's a song that regularly has the lyrics butchered to get it down from 5 minutes 55 seconds to two and a half minutes or less for singing shows.

As a huge Queen fan, thank god she didnt.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    It made me laugh on Xtra Factor when Sam B said she'd had a hard week because she had to learn a song she didn't know. Learning a song in a week, hell even a day, shouldn't be an issue for anyone, let alone a professional singer.

Goes to show that Sam, with her musical background, has a much easier ride than all the others. Sing My Heart Will Go On? She could do it in her sleep!
  • Options
    Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Gary is spot on. All the parts are there but they don't seem to join up and there is something missing. I just wonder if this is all too soon for Tamera and she'd have been better waiting a couple of years

Inexperienced and needed 2-3 years to work around the edges is what's required here. She'll be in the B2 and there will be no sympathy votes either as not many people actually like her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nastyman69 wrote: »
    Inexperienced and needed 2-3 years to work around the edges is what's required here. She'll be in the B2 and there will be no sympathy votes either as not many people actually like her

I also think the fact she looks older than her years goes against her. Despite the fact she's not much more than a child, she looks so much older that she doesn't get the 'awww' vote like Nick does.