Options

Removing Unwanted People from Pics?

scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, I'm looking for a simple to use free software that will help me remove unwanted people from photos?

I've had a look online, and tried a couple but non seem reliable!!:( It seems as if the good software you have to pay for them, and I would be willing to if it was a batch of photos, but for just 1 pic, I don't see a need to.

Many thanks in advance..:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called the crop tool.

I think beyond that you're going to have to pay. It always puzzles me why you would want to remove people anyway. If they're randomers, you'll just have to live with it.

If it's someone that was in your life, it's just best to accept that they were a part of the past.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    It's called the crop tool.

I think beyond that you're going to have to pay. It always puzzles me why you would want to remove people anyway. If they're randomers, you'll just have to live with it.

If it's someone that was in your life, it's just best to accept that they were a part of the past.

Nothing like that its just random people in a touristy area but it spoils the pic!!>:(:(
  • Options
    paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try GIMP its got a lot of the features of Photoshop but its free.
  • Options
    scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cropping photos can get the job done a lot of the time, or use decent free photo-editing software such as PhotoFiltre. This is powerful enough to do some major picture adjustments, even cutting out certain areas of your photo. I prefer this to Photoshop, with all the add-ons, it's a powerful and simple to use program.

:) Mark
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scooby1970 wrote: »
    Cropping photos can get the job done a lot of the time, or use decent free photo-editing software such as PhotoFiltre. This is powerful enough to do some major picture adjustments, even cutting out certain areas of your photo. I prefer this to Photoshop, with all the add-ons, it's a powerful and simple to use program.

:) Mark

Thank you, i'll give that a try- I try the simple crop tool on Picasa, and while that works if the people (randomers) are slightly away from you either from left / right, it doesn't help if they are right behind you..:cry::( you can't use the crop tool then, hence why I wanted to remove the people rather than crop!:)
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    paint.NET IMHO is the best free photshop type package.

certainly better than the gimp.

with anything though there is a bit of a learning curve. it's not so simple as to click the button.

that having been said PSP, of which i am a huge fan does have a feature for exactly that:
    https://store.paintshoppro.com/1184/purl-ATG_PID_HPbanner_PSPproX6#tab=1
    click on 'smart carver' for a look.

and it does come with a 30 day trial

if you chuck over the picture i'll have a stab.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    if you chuck over the picture i'll have a stab.

I'd do it for my regular hourly rate... :D
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing like that its just random people in a touristy area but it spoils the pic!!>:(:(

removing them from 1 pic is very difficult or timeconsuming. removing them from a series of pics of the same thing, where the people are moving, can be automated.

see under "eraser":
    http://googlesystem.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/auto-awesome-action-eraser-and-movie.html
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,920
    Forum Member
    Sometimes it can be easier to block them out by putting something on top of them, tree/bush/car/post box WHU. That way you dont have to cut round them and then fill in the gap you have created.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Congratulate yourself on your good taste to go to a place where everyone who is anyone, plus everyone who is no-one wants to be seen - the place to be! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    Congratulate yourself on your good taste to go to a place where everyone who is anyone, plus everyone who is no-one wants to be seen - the place to be! ;)

:D:D:D
    Actually, the place where (you're talking about) the pic was taken was in Las Vegas! Very difficult to actually stand in front of a nice background and have your picture taken!!>:(
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The results aren't often good unless you know what you're doing. Might actually be easier to go back in time and prevent their parents from falling in love ;)

If you use a Mac there's a very inexpensive app called Pixelmator that has all the necessary tools built in and is better than free IMO, failing that I would recommend GiMP even though it does have quite a steep learning curve. GiMP will run on Windows, Mac or Linux.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I would suggest using a programming like Photoshop (Elements would do) or The GIMP, but it's more satisfying to print out the photo(s) in question, throw them in the fireplace if you have one and burn them :D The other option is attaching it to some dartboard! :p
  • Options
    plugs13ampplugs13amp Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Take a look at InPaint its designed to do exactly what you want. I got a copy at version 3 when it was still free. In some circumstances it works extremely well, it depends on what is around the bit you want to remove, as it has to get the replacement pixels from somewhere.
    There is a trial version, but I don't know if it has any limitations other than time
  • Options
    EarakeEarake Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D:D
    Actually, the place where (you're talking about) the pic was taken was in Las Vegas! Very difficult to actually stand in front of a nice background and have your picture taken!!>:(

Yes, I think I'd want to get rid of David Hasselhoff if he was peering over my shoulder :o
  • Options
    SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Hello, did you get this sorted? If not I'm a graphic designer I can help you out. Drop me a PM if needed
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Samster wrote: »
    Hello, did you get this sorted? If not I'm a graphic designer I can help you out. Drop me a PM if needed

Not all graphic designers are experts in photo manipulation. Not all experts in photo manipulation are graphic designers...
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    I create a mask and then the clone tool to remove unwanted people.
  • Options
    SamsterSamster Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Not all graphic designers are experts in photo manipulation. Not all experts in photo manipulation are graphic designers...

Umm true but I personally use Photoshop daily and I was offering to do someone a favour, never mind....
  • Options
    bratwurztbratwurzt Posts: 2,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he was agreeing, you don't have to be a Graphic designer to be good at Photoshop. Not sure why you seem offended.